• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

VALERIAN starring Clive Owen, Cara Delavingne (2017)

47 posts in this topic

As amazing as The Fifth Element is even today - and loads of fun - we'll see if he can bring that same movie magic to this film.

But I do agree right now the trailer gives a feeling of 'everything - to include robots too!'

The Fifth Element is returning to theaters for two days this May

1997-the-fifth-element-poster1.jpg

For a two-day-only event ELEMENT will be screened in theaters in celebration of its 20th anniversary, courtesy of Fathom Events. The movie will be screened in a 4K resolution remaster in over 400 theaters nationwide on May 14 and May 17 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. (local times). But that’s not all, boys and girls, because by seeing the movie on these days you’ll also be treated to an exclusive look at VALERIAN, out July 21.

‘Valerian’ Opening Scene to Play in Theaters in Front of ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’

If you catch Spider-Man: Homecoming opening weekend, you may also catch a glimpse of the opening scene from STX Entertainment’s sci-fi epic Valerian and the City of the Thousand Planets. The marketing for director Luc Besson’s upcoming film is ramping up, and it was announced today that select theaters will be showing the full opening scene from Valerian in front of Spider-Man: Homecoming beginning on July 6th. Participating exhibitors include select screens at AMC, B&B Theaters, Cinemark, Emagine Entertainment, Harkins Theaters, along with select regional circuits nationwide.

Valerian takes place in the 28th century and stars Dane DeHaan and Cara Delevingne as two special operatives tasked with maintaining order in the human territories who run into trouble when a shadowy force threatens the universe’s most densely populated metropolis.

The film opens in theaters on July 21st.

Main thing I did not like was the Walt Disneylike ending. Special 3-D fx were above average but some of the outer space City of a 1,000 Planets backdrop scenes were overloaded. Overall, I enjoyed the stunts, escapism and 'Valerian' seemed to be geared towards the younger Transformers movie audience with a simple plot.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

OUCH! Although no surprise, as little as this movie has been talked about.

NYxwKcq.jpg

I realize Valerian came in the 60's, but for people who would never have known that like most the US public it just looks like a run of the mill scifi film with cute little aliens that belong in the Smurfs. The issue with this film it is long, drawn out, bad acting, terrible one liners, and jokes that make you go really.

It was if the makers of Diary of a Wimpy Kid had  a child with the makers of Phantom Menace.

The only redeeming part of this movie is the effects, but everything else is yuk. This is movie is in second place for the worst film I have seen in the theaters this year. Only Underworld did worse. 

I gave this film 4.5/10

23 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I realize Valerian came in the 60's, but for people who would never have known that like most the US public it just looks like a run of the mill scifi film with cute little aliens that belong in the Smurfs. The only redeeming part of this movie is the effects, but everything else is yuk.  

I gave this film 4.5/10

I would give this film 7.5/10 due to the outstanding Bowie introduction that I did not expect plus the detailed 3-D special fx. Box office may have got split by opening of 'Dunkirk' directed by the consistently excellent Chris Nolan (Dark Knight trilogy) mostly filmed in Imax for the special fx junkies who want even better visuals and sound in a WW II movie that has very little dialogue but brilliantly crafted with 3 intertwined tales with different time frames.

Man was I disappointed in this movie. All I could think about was recasting the two leads, the guy especially. This film could have used Dominic Cooper and Emily Blunt or any other combination of fine British actors. There's plenty of them out there. That would have saved this visually stunning film.

2 hours ago, The Black Hand ® said:

Man was I disappointed in this movie. All I could think about was recasting the two leads, the guy especially. This film could have used Dominic Cooper and Emily Blunt or any other combination of fine British actors. There's plenty of them out there. That would have saved this visually stunning film.

Their had to be a a good -script their to get that. I just thought we got Leonardo DiCaprio's stunt double acting. Clara was good ok.

Looks like a lot of people lost money on this gamble.

EuropaCorp’s Stock Tanks After Luc Besson’s ‘Valerian’ Flops at Box Office

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/europacorp-stock-falls-valerian-bombs-1023823

Analysts had boosted the stock in recent weeks on a predicted worldwide box office of $500 million.

If the weak reviews weren’t bad enough, the stock market has now weighed in on Luc Besson’s Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, with EuropaCorp closing down 8.31 percent Monday in trading on France’s Bourse.

The stock ended the day at €3.50 ($4.07) per share, with EuropaCorp losing €15 million in value since Friday's closing.

Valerian, Besson’s years-in-the-making sci-fi epic, opened in fifth place in North America over the weekend with just $17 million from 3,553 screens, trailing Christopher Nolan’s war epic Dunkirkand the R-rated comedy Girls Trip, which opened to $50.5 million and $30.4 million, respectively, as well as Spider-Man: Homecoming and War for the Planet of the Apes, which are weeks into wide release. 

Touted as the most expensive indie ever made, and certainly the most expensive French film, the $180 million Valerian stars Cara Delevingne, Dane DeHaan and Rihanna.

Analysts had boosted the stock in recent weeks on a predicted worldwide box office of $500 million. Firm Gilbert Dupont had rated the stock as a "buy" in May on expectations of a blockbuster box office, in part because of its cast of young actors and its strong distribution partnership with STX in the U.S., but Besson’s film failed to deliver.

While EuropaCorp’s exposure on Valerian is somewhat limited, as the pic was largely financed by presales in 120 countries, it still doesn’t bode well for the long-term strength of the company.

EuropaCorp posted a loss of a record €120 million ($136 million) for the fiscal year in results released in June, after a series of failures. Shut In, starring Naomi Watts; Miss Sloane, starring Jessica Chastain; The Circle, starring Tom Hanks and Emma Watson; and the Kevin Spacey cat comedy Nine Lives all tanked at the box office.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

I saw it yesterday, 3D, very good seating, high definition, and great surround sound... so I'm pretty sure I got to see it exactly as it was intended.  I don't know what was missing, but it was definitely something.  Because I'm a huge fan of The Fifth Element, it would be easy to say that what was missing was Bruce Willis, Chris Tucker, Gary Oldman, and Milla Jovovich... but I think what was missing was actually what each of those actors represented.  The reluctant hero wasn't in Valerian.  The over-the-top entertainer wasn't in Valerian.  The villain with an interesting point of view wasn't in Valerian.  The heroine with unpredictable purpose wasn't in Valerian.

Valerian was basically a two hour movie about the "extras" from Fifth Element.  Two ordinary young humans who inexplicably have "skills" that keep them alive when capable military/mercenary/experienced adults are easily picked off.  A military commander against a military general and the military guy who is actually in charge just answers the video phone.  Those wise-cracking roach guys from Men in Black are mammals (for some reason).  The Phantom Menace underwater scene... pretty much unchanged, except there's a submarine captain covered in trash.

I don't know.

The first time I saw The Fifth Element, I was thrown by how "different" and unexpected it was.  Since I've seen The Fifth Element (a few dozen times), I guess I was thrown by how much of the same Valerian was... except for the pieces that it needed to keep.  Those are missing.

My comparisons to The Fifth Element are specifically because all the promotional material for Valerian kept mentioning it.

Or maybe they just put all the best Valerian scenes in the trailers.  That would do it, too.

Edited by valiantman