• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

Thanks to super Boardie @ft88 for selling this one and @AJD for alerting me to the listing with the '@'.

Not particularly 'tough' but was just waiting for the 'right' copy for me. Every time one was listed i could go for, some HTF hero book was also listed in said auction so i'd throw the budget at that, knowing i'd get another shot at a copy of this one again eventually.

Four Color #16, Also known as 'Porky Pig #1' self titled comic series. (There is a linen book that predates this comic book). 'Slight' Horror edge to the cover :luhv:

Four Color #16.jpg

22 hours ago, OtherEric said:

In today, using the photo from the listing as my scanner finally died and I still haven't replaced it.  Not a great copy, either; but a slight step up from my Sniffles-chewed copy that I've shown many times before.

MJS_402.jpg

Nice upgrade!

Ah Sniffles, forgotten Warner Bros. star

@Sqeggs has (had) a high grade certified copy. 

Hard to come by above 5.0 in my experience. 

These just in; Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies #'s 7 & 9, in fairly sharp shape. The dealer/collector I traded with also has 11&15 in similar grade; I will be going back with more of his wants.

#9 seems particularly tough, with only four in the census despite a Schlesinger painted cover, but you guys would know best which of the early issues are toughest. I just know all the early ones are tough to come by, so I wanted to make sure I landed these copies.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

@Readcomix by my watch, i think #3 is the toughest of the first 10.

I think #2 is the toughest in copies above 5.0

#6 tough also, commands slight premiums when offered. It was a beast for me. The blue cover with Elmer pointing a rifle point blank at an unconcerned Bugs is scene right out of the classic revered shorts. 

8 minutes ago, sagii said:

@Readcomix by my watch, i think #3 is the toughest of the first 10.

I think #2 is the toughest in copies above 5.0

#6 tough also, commands slight premiums when offered. It was a beast for me. The blue cover with Elmer pointing a rifle point blank at an unconcerned Bugs is scene right out of the classic revered shorts. 

Thank you! None of them is terribly common, correct? Up to about what number do they continue to be uncommon? 20? Higher? Or just those first 10?

2 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thank you! None of them is terribly common, correct? Up to about what number do they continue to be uncommon? 20? Higher? Or just those first 10?

There is a well traveled Boardie who collected both LTMM and WDCS, who thinks the first 20 issues are very tough to put together in grade, and that 3, 6 and 9 are not 'common'. 

There are a few in the 11 to 21 bracket that are seldom offered in grade.

I'm just recently finding out there are a few 'variant' covers in that bracket much like some subscription variants of  WDCS. and some other Dell licensed properties comic issues i'd imagine. 

...I am on the hunt for these...

2 minutes ago, sagii said:

There is a well traveled Boardie who collected both LTMM and WDCS, who thinks the first 20 issues are very tough to put together in grade, and that 3, 6 and 9 are not 'common'. 

There are a few in the 11 to 21 bracket that are seldom offered in grade.

I'm just recently finding out there are a few 'variant' covers in that bracket much like some subscription variants of  WDCS. and some other Dell licensed properties comic issues i'd imagine. 

...I am on the hunt for these...

Hmmm... Appropriately, a rabbit hole....

This guy's #11 was, marginally, the weakest of the four, with some shadowing along the left edge. Kind of jumps off that powder blue cover, unfortunately. However, the 15 was comparable to the #9 pictured for being flat and clean. I just couldn't leave the 7 behind despite the one prominent spine tweak.

3 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Hmmm... Appropriately, a rabbit hole....

This guy's #11 was, marginally, the weakest of the four, with some shadowing along the left edge. Kind of jumps off that powder blue cover, unfortunately. However, the 15 was comparable to the #9 pictured for being flat and clean. I just couldn't leave the 7 behind despite the one prominent spine tweak.

Iconic canon of characters introduced in the 30's and still going strong today (new shorts currently on the Cartoon Network) and a big budget sequel to the block buster Space Jam (with Lebron James) just green lighted, introducing them to yet another generation. 

I think you did very well...

I don't think any of the LTMM books are genuinely rare; but if you're looking for the early issues in grade watch out.

4, 14, 18, and 21 all have minor variants.  Possibly others as well, but if so I haven't seen them.

9 is an odd one, with the painted cover- and the only cover without Bugs anywhere on it.  22 is close but has a Bugs cameo on the side.

If you're looking for spin-off books, that FC 402 I posted is insanely hard to track down in any grade.

On 12/18/2018 at 11:01 PM, sagii said:
On 12/18/2018 at 12:46 AM, OtherEric said:

In today, using the photo from the listing as my scanner finally died and I still haven't replaced it.  Not a great copy, either; but a slight step up from my Sniffles-chewed copy that I've shown many times before.

MJS_402.jpg

Nice upgrade!

Ah Sniffles, forgotten Warner Bros. star

@Sqeggs has (had) a high grade certified copy. 

Hard to come by above 5.0 in my experience. 

Kinda borderline high grade, I guess. 

fou1.7431a_zps9b3qt5qi.JPG

3 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Thanks guys.  I really like that cover. 

Al Hubbard is just an insanely underrated artist.  Mary Jane and Sniffles is far and away my favorite feature in the LT/MM comic books (just the comics, not the cartoons.) His work on Scamp was also delightful.  And his Peter Wheat work manages to follow Walt Kelly at his best and , while not as good, holds its own... which is amazing given just how great the Kelly run was.

Flea market find last Sunday. Didn't really want it or need it but sometimes something is just so cool, high grade and cheap to pass up. Even has bone white pages. This one is also very cool in that is an "all picture" Big little Book (no text). Kind of like a little comic book in the palm of your hand!

porkypigblb1.jpg

porkypigblb2.jpg

9 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Flea market find last Sunday. Didn't really want it or need it but sometimes something is just so cool, high grade and cheap to pass up. Even has bone white pages. This one is also very cool in that is an "all picture" Big little Book (no text). Kind of like a little comic book in the palm of your hand!

porkypigblb1.jpg

porkypigblb2.jpg

Has my seal of approval RM .

Great condition for the age! (thumbsu 

19 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

porkypigblb1.jpg

porkypigblb2.jpg

Very nice!  I've got a couple of the Bugs Bunny All Pictures Comics BLB's, but not that Porky one.