• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, OtherEric said:

And reposting some books from my earlier show everything I have run.  Merry Christmas, everybody, or whatever holidays you may be celebrating:

LT_015.jpg.91518ff9c00fb544cba058940ffd1e6d.jpg

LT_051.jpg.048cb3887d463b5fca9bad2536fe05ce.jpg

LT_075.jpg.b9e86b2dd7c4e4d4717bfde7a503f1c3.jpg

LT_087.jpg.7971884d2775ab720334e7c72ccd0205.jpg

LT_099.jpg.9a6637b773d9f817cd62fbe2142863fd.jpg

:headbang: Great Holiday party, think that's all the Gold/early Silver Holiday ones (except maybe one with an asterisk, i'll try to post tonight or tomorrow).

Been really enjoying all the activity (with interaction) here on this Thread this week :popcorn:

I also thought I would share this drawing that Chuck Jones did for me back in '93. The story on this drawing is that I have always been a huge fan of the Warner Brothers cartoons and I was at the time trying to collect every one of them on video tape (yes, I am old). In 1993 I was working in a well known restaurant in Beverly Hills and we always had lots of celebrities who came for dinner, Chuck and his wife came in for his birthday and of course we took great care of them so he asked if I wanted a drawing of a character, after giving it a little thought I requested Sniffles since that was his first cartoon work back in 1938. this led to us having a great conversation about the early days in Termite Terrace and the early animation process. He was having the hardest time doing Sniffles because he said every time he started it was coming out like Pepe Le Pew, he figured he had not sketched Sniffles in decades but he finally managed and here it is. You can still see some of the Pepe in the face but I still love it.

IMG_3562.JPG

1 hour ago, lpsunburst said:

I also thought I would share this drawing that Chuck Jones did for me back in '93. The story on this drawing is that I have always been a huge fan of the Warner Brothers cartoons and I was at the time trying to collect every one of them on video tape (yes, I am old). In 1993 I was working in a well known restaurant in Beverly Hills and we always had lots of celebrities who came for dinner, Chuck and his wife came in for his birthday and of course we took great care of them so he asked if I wanted a drawing of a character, after giving it a little thought I requested Sniffles since that was his first cartoon work back in 1938. this led to us having a great conversation about the early days in Termite Terrace and the early animation process. He was having the hardest time doing Sniffles because he said every time he started it was coming out like Pepe Le Pew, he figured he had not sketched Sniffles in decades but he finally managed and here it is. You can still see some of the Pepe in the face but I still love it.

IMG_3562.JPG

Great piece of animation history there, and cool story . :luhv:

Thanks for sharing! 

15 hours ago, sagii said:

Nice! Sweet looking copy to boot! Congrats! :applause:

Thx Sagii! The guy has one more "B.L." (Beverly Larson) book, a number 15. It looks about as nice IIRC; glossier but a little nick lower left. But it would grade lower than the other three due to a detached centerfold and Beverly's exhuberance in filling in the Christmas games and puzzles in the 15. She wasn't sloppy, just thorough!

8 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thx Sagii! The guy has one more "B.L." (Beverly Larson) book, a number 15. It looks about as nice IIRC; glossier but a little nick lower left. But it would grade lower than the other three due to a detached centerfold and Beverly's exhuberance in filling in the Christmas games and puzzles in the 15. She wasn't sloppy, just thorough!

lol

...something about the gold funny animal and humor books where the OO's wrote in puzzles and mail in coupons more so than iv'e seen on other genres. They enjoyed their books. Bless Beverly's heart where ever she may be. :tink:

7 hours ago, sagii said:

lol

...something about the gold funny animal and humor books where the OO's wrote in puzzles and mail in coupons more so than iv'e seen on other genres. They enjoyed their books. Bless Beverly's heart where ever she may be. :tink:

Amen to that! I've been trying to figure out a little more about Beverly as her books were very well-kept other than the filling out of the puzzles/games. She also had the habit of writing her initials in the same spot on each book, as well as her name (upper inside FC) and address (bottom inside FC). 

The dealer I got these from could recall when/how he got them, and I could find no other books in his boxes with the initials. 

I found her obituary; she passed in 2015.

I find it hard to believe someone who kept four books so nicely and crisply only ever had four comics, but maybe that's the case, 

2 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Amen to that! I've been trying to figure out a little more about Beverly as her books were very well-kept other than the filling out of the puzzles/games. She also had the habit of writing her initials in the same spot on each book, as well as her name (upper inside FC) and address (bottom inside FC). 

The dealer I got these from could recall when/how he got them, and I could find no other books in his boxes with the initials. 

I found her obituary; she passed in 2015.

I find it hard to believe someone who kept four books so nicely and crisply only ever had four comics, but maybe that's the case, 

I think more than likely there were more. I'll keep an eye out for more on eBay. Maybe she had/has a husband or children who know if she had a big collection when she was a child that she told them about hm

Probably not a call /social media reach out someone is likely to be warmed up to though (:

9 hours ago, Marty Mann said:

IMG  BUGS  (200 dpi).jpg

Always liked this cover, for some reason.  I feel sorry for Bugs but the close-up is not something you often get on the Looney Tunes covers.

And, of course, it's always great to see one of Marty's original owner books