• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,062 posts in this topic

On January 26, 2019 at 9:39 AM, sagii said:

I think more than likely there were more. I'll keep an eye out for more on eBay. Maybe she had/has a husband or children who know if she had a big collection when she was a child that she told them about hm

Probably not a call /social media reach out someone is likely to be warmed up to though (:

I agree with you; worth keeping an eye out for. Perhaps even locally (I see you're NYC) -- the address Beverly put inside the cover was Amsterdam, NY and her obit (2015) indicated Schenectady, NY. The capital area is not a stretch for NYC collectors and dealers. 

The dealer with the four LTMM books I found in his possession probably is not the one who bought the collection (if there is one) from the estate, or from her before she passed, as they are all he has with the "B.L." markings and name/address inside, and he could not recall where he got the four from.

I know a few collectors in the Schenectady area; I will ask them to see if any of them bought and/or dispersed an estate collection with these markings.

It would seem quite odd if Beverly kept only four comics from 1942-1943 and took such good care of them for so long. Anything is possible, but it does not seem like the most common pattern. I'm convinced there's more of her books out there.

13 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

Slowly picking up all of the Schlesinger covers (1-44) as I like the more Clampett style Bugs but this is a notable exception to the signature covers in the run. 

LTMM 33.jpg

This one seems to be a Boards Fave. It is one of the 'better' rendered Bugs efforts.

Nice copy, and happy to see this Thread bumped regularly lately.

Keep 'em coming folks!:headbang:

1 minute ago, lpsunburst said:

Well then here is another, this time with Leon's signature

LTMM 23.jpg

:applause: That's another nice one (and copy)! I like Porky's confused expression. And Bugs holding the carrot like a cigarette lol

..Pun intended: I'm noticing we fish in some of the same ponds :baiting:

3 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Found in the wild today.  All 3 sets, unopened, for under $10 total.  Not golden age, but essentially the only Looney Tunes comic stories Chuck Jones ever did.  These WILl be getting cracked open very soon so I can enjoy them.

9939CDB5-DE49-4A34-831E-C3988B965487.jpeg

:applause:Sweet! Great grab Eric!

5 hours ago, Readcomix said:

#15, another "B.L." Copy (Beverly Larson) and the last one whose location I knew of. The hunt is truly on now!

image.jpeg

:applause:You are knocking em down as they set em up! Beverly obviously liked these now legendary characters. 

Best of luck on your quest! I'd try looking for other funny animal titles too as that could have been her preference (and i'll keep the lookout for B.L. copies for you too (thumbsu)

17 minutes ago, sagii said:

:applause:You are knocking em down as they set em up! Beverly obviously liked these now legendary characters. 

Best of luck on your quest! I'd try looking for other funny animal titles too as that could have been her preference (and i'll keep the lookout for B.L. copies for you too (thumbsu)

Thank you; the dealer who had these 4 is a dead ene. He cannot recall how he got them, and he has no others.

There is a collector in the same city in which she died who is known to buy collections and be a black hole. He has warehoused over 40,000 books. I haven't met him yet but we have spoken on the phone. We have a mutual friend who is introducing us; he says there's lots of funny animals in that "warehouse." Its a good possibility. 

10 minutes ago, lpsunburst said:

Wabbits and Foxes go well together, you should see my Ace collection....

I have, at least some recent acquisitions :headbang:

A few of 'em you outbid me on :baiting: (Congrats!)

I tend to keep my Ace hunts close to the chest as i don't have that many to go to finish out the ones i really wanted. Originally was going to try and do a complete publisher run, but that's not happening now lol

But i do have a nice representation outside of just Four Favorites and Super-Mystery also.

You have great taste in funny books!

7 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Thank you; the dealer who had these 4 is a dead ene. He cannot recall how he got them, and he has no others.

There is a collector in the same city in which she died who is known to buy collections and be a black hole. He has warehoused over 40,000 books. I haven't met him yet but we have spoken on the phone. We have a mutual friend who is introducing us; he says there's lots of funny animals in that "warehouse." Its a good possibility. 

:ohnoez:

WOW! 

..and good luck. Brush up on your box diving ...

A minor pickup today; Porky Pig #77.  This one seems to be a bit scarce; I went with this copy because there were only 2 I could locate, and the other one was 10x as much.  I'll keep my eyes open for an upgrade.  Only 3 more issues I need for the Dell Porky run I'm trying for; 46-81

Porky_Pig_77.jpg

9 hours ago, OtherEric said:

A minor pickup today; Porky Pig #77.  This one seems to be a bit scarce; I went with this copy because there were only 2 I could locate, and the other one was 10x as much.  I'll keep my eyes open for an upgrade.  Only 3 more issues I need for the Dell Porky run I'm trying for; 46-81

Porky_Pig_77.jpg

That is one you don't see often. Year of the Pig continues!

Nice pick up!

16 hours ago, sagii said:

That is one you don't see often. Year of the Pig continues!

Nice pick up!

There was a reason I went for the 77 despite the condition... these were on the way, although the 77 beat them here.  71, 75, and 79... and that gives me the complete run of 46-81.  Not a terribly tricky run to put together, but I'm happy to have it.

I've learned the hard way too many times, grab that filler copy when you can for the last issue you need!

Porky_Pig_71.jpg

Porky_Pig_75.jpg

Porky_Pig_79.jpg

9 hours ago, OtherEric said:

There was a reason I went for the 77 despite the condition... these were on the way, although the 77 beat them here.  71, 75, and 79... and that gives me the complete run of 46-81.  Not a terribly tricky run to put together, but I'm happy to have it.

I've learned the hard way too many times, grab that filler copy when you can for the last issue you need!

Porky_Pig_71.jpg

Porky_Pig_75.jpg

Porky_Pig_79.jpg

Don't i know it. You can always (mostly) upgrade, but grab a beater toughie if you can in case!

Nice subset, and the cool covers on all these! What was with the 'nephew' thing and the classic cartoon characters? (Donald, Mickey, Porky, Jerry -can't remember if Nibbles was his actual nephew or adopted 'son') 

Only Sylvester was a Dad by my recollection.lol