• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

36 minutes ago, sagii said:

Don't i know it. You can always (mostly) upgrade, but grab a beater toughie if you can in case!

Nice subset, and the cool covers on all these! What was with the 'nephew' thing and the classic cartoon characters? (Donald, Mickey, Porky, Jerry -can't remember if Nibbles was his actual nephew or adopted 'son') 

Only Sylvester was a Dad by my recollection.lol

I think that the main characters maybe needed a sidekick or two, and suspect the nephew thing would be a lot easier to explain to 1950's America then a dad without a mom. Where's mom? and why aren't you married to her? A visiting relative could be used then if no longer needed they would "go back to their parents".

27 minutes ago, ThreeSeas said:

I think that the main characters maybe needed a sidekick or two, and suspect the nephew thing would be a lot easier to explain to 1950's America then a dad without a mom. Where's mom? and why aren't you married to her? A visiting relative could be used then if no longer needed they would "go back to their parents".

Totally makes sense.

I can remember asking my Mom on one occasion of watching Looney Tunes "Where's Sylvester Jr.'s mom"? lol

26 minutes ago, sagii said:

Totally makes sense.

I can remember asking my Mom on one occasion of watching Looney Tunes "Where's Sylvester Jr.'s mom"? lol

Similarly, they had already established that most of the characters in question had moderately high profile "girlfriends, not wives"...Daisy, Minnie, Petunia.  Sylvester didn't, so they could go with a son rather than a nephew.

7 hours ago, OtherEric said:

And today's issue, #40.  19 more to go; but those last few are just going to get trickier and trickier fast.

Looney_Tunes_040.jpg

Nice copy :applause:

After seeing your copy and the one posted earlier I have a new appreciation for this cover 

1 minute ago, lpsunburst said:

Well I just checked on CL and my bid held on this one.

LTMM3.jpg

:applause:I tried to put in a snipe, figuring the high bidder would 'undervalue' the book, and was out bid.

Well played, and i feel this issue and #2 show up WAY less than #1. (worship) (worship) My new 'hero' (thumbsu

9 hours ago, sagii said:

:applause:I tried to put in a snipe, figuring the high bidder would 'undervalue' the book, and was out bid.

Well played, and i feel this issue and #2 show up WAY less than #1. (worship) (worship) My new 'hero' (thumbsu

Thanks Corey!

21 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

This thread fell to page 3??? Can't have it! Bumping with a #16 picked up today. Alas, not another Beverly Larson, but certainly nice enough for an LTMM under #20.

image.jpeg

:applause:I'll agree, on all points!

Very nice condition for an early issue. Cool Winter cover! Keep knocking 'em down sir!

15 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I've been wanting to pick up these early Bugs Four Colors for a long time. This one practically jumped out of a box into my hands at Wonder Con and I pounced on it! Looking forward to reading it!!

tn_Four Color 123.jpg

:applause: Sweet pick up, and an excellent cover on that one! It's a great read, and if i remember correctly from his Thread, i think @BangZoom was big fan of the story for this issue as well.