• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bugs Bunny / Looney Tunes first appearances help
4 4

1,066 posts in this topic

Well there is no competing with Mr. Bedrock but over the years I've picked up some nice Looney Tunes. I can't remember where I picked up #46 but it is a short book with only 36 pages issued at the end of the war. Interesting though is that the inside back and front covers are printed in color.That's unusual for Dell books. Issue #78 is a Crippen copy that I got for a low bid on Heritage.These are fun books but I'm still a Barks and Kelly man at heart though I appreciate the history of this series.

tn_LTMM46.jpg

tn_LTMM78.jpg

5 minutes ago, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Well there is no competing with Mr. Bedrock but over the years I've picked up some nice Looney Tunes. I can't remember where I picked up #46 but it is a short book with only 36 pages issued at the end of the war. Interesting though is that the inside back and front covers are printed in color.That's unusual for Dell books. Issue #78 is a Crippen copy that I got for a low bid on Heritage.These are fun books but I'm still a Barks and Kelly man at heart though I appreciate the history of this series.

tn_LTMM46.jpg

tn_LTMM78.jpg

:applause:Love to see the Duck people posting here! Those are really nice looking copies.

And while yes, the series didn't have a Barks (though he has association with Porky, I've always wondered what the Barks Overstreet Looney Tunes cover would be today if he had included Daffy Duck in the work), you hit the nail on the head with the historic aspect which is one of the main reasons for my bumping the Thread (that and that I LOVE the characters). They have been around on the front lines constantly utilized since inception not slipping into obscurity just like the Marvel, DC, and Disney characters.

A monumental achievement considering how each generation has it's own rotating pop culture character of the moment.  There should be a Thread dedicated to them on a forum like this. 

Thanks for posting!

Happy International Rabbit Day 2019

Here is a an 50's Australian Edition Bugs Bunny #16, featuring a Clown getting the best of our favorite Rabbit (how often did that ever happen in the iconic cartoon shorts?).

That Clown learned 'Of course you realize, this means war' the hard way i'm certain :D

Bugs Bunny #16 (Australian ed.).jpg

So, some of you following this thread know that Four Color #402- the first of the two "Mary Jane and Sniffles" issues- has been a particular bugaboo for me.  For years, the only copy I could find was the "Sniffles-chewed" copy I've shown a few times, and even my upgrade really wasn't that much better other than it wasn't rat chewed. 

Lone Star put this copy up for sale as a 5.0 a few days ago and I jumped on it.  I thought it looked even better than the listed grade.  And now that I have it in hand... there's no way that somebody didn't screw up on this listing.  The only hidden "defect"... and I use the term very loosely in this context... is some very, very slight tanning around the edges of the inside covers.  I'll buy every "5.0" like this I ever see without blinking!

FC_0402.jpg

FC_0402_b.jpg

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

So, some of you following this thread know that Four Color #402- the first of the two "Mary Jane and Sniffles" issues- has been a particular bugaboo for me.  For years, the only copy I could find was the "Sniffles-chewed" copy I've shown a few times, and even my upgrade really wasn't that much better other than it wasn't rat chewed. 

Lone Star put this copy up for sale as a 5.0 a few days ago and I jumped on it.  I thought it looked even better than the listed grade.  And now that I have it in hand... there's no way that somebody didn't screw up on this listing.  The only hidden "defect"... and I use the term very loosely in this context... is some very, very slight tanning around the edges of the inside covers.  I'll buy every "5.0" like this I ever see without blinking!

FC_0402.jpg

FC_0402_b.jpg

Congrats! That is a stunner!

Usually that book turns up in gd/vg range.

....but man if I saw that before you did :devil:

5 hours ago, sagii said:

Congrats! That is a stunner!

Usually that book turns up in gd/vg range.

....but man if I saw that before you did :devil:

I'm happy, that's for sure.  I suspect someone misread an 8 as a 5 at some point, because this one is just insane.  There are a couple stress marks on the back cover near the top staple, but I know honest dealers (who rarely see high grade gold) who would call this one NM.

7 hours ago, OtherEric said:

I'm happy, that's for sure.  I suspect someone misread an 8 as a 5 at some point, because this one is just insane.  There are a couple stress marks on the back cover near the top staple, but I know honest dealers (who rarely see high grade gold) who would call this one NM.

Beautiful book! My Comic Shop is notorious for under grading a lot of their comics which is a good thing. I have picked up many 3.5s and gotten a 5.0-6.0 official grade in return. Not complaining on my end xD

1 hour ago, mustang33guy said:

Beautiful book! My Comic Shop is notorious for under grading a lot of their comics which is a good thing. I have picked up many 3.5s and gotten a 5.0-6.0 official grade in return. Not complaining on my end xD

Yeah, I actively rely on Lone Star undergrading their raw books.  Even by their standards, this was WAY undergraded.  Not that I'm complaining either.