• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

storing slabs spine up or down?

15 posts in this topic

So I know this has been asked before but I cant find the old thread. If anyone can link it that would be great!!

If not, my question is, does storing a slab on its side, spine up or down make a difference in its condition long term? I have a really nice small chest that the slabs fit nicely in on their side and I can still read the labels on top from the side. But I'm not sure whether the slab is tight enough to prevent sag in the book and if it isn't, would spine up be the way to go, if at all?

I want to see your nice chest.

The "logic" is to store the book with the staples closest to the floor (spine down) so that they pull of the staples over time doesn't rip through the paper...how long and if that would even happen in your lifetime (shrug)

See you soon <3

I want to see your nice chest.

The "logic" is to store the book with the staples closest to the floor (spine down) so that they pull of the staples over time doesn't rip through the paper...how long and if that would even happen in your lifetime (shrug)

See you soon <3

I'm not showing you my chest, but I've got a box you can look at. (Not mine).

I think the safest way to store your books, though probably the least practical, is horizontal, thus giving no stress to the book or spine. In theory, vertical should be fine, but it depends on how the books are sealed in the inner well. Loose in the inner well is bad, sometimes resulting in SCS. Just tight enough so that the cover 'sticks' to the well but the insides dip is very bad. Wedges are helpful, but CGC does not always use them. If you must store them sideways, I agree with Joey, spine on bottom is best.

I think the safest way to store your books, though probably the least practical, is horizontal, thus giving no stress to the book or spine. In theory, vertical should be fine, but it depends on how the books are sealed in the inner well. Loose in the inner well is bad, sometimes resulting in SCS. Just tight enough so that the cover 'sticks' to the well but the insides dip is very bad. Wedges are helpful, but CGC does not always use them. If you must store them sideways, I agree with Joey, spine on bottom is best.

+1

I store mine flat, no problems so far 2c

+1

I store mine flat, no problems so far 2c

Whenever I have a book that looks a little 'stressed' in the slab I will store it flat so it doesn't get any worse. Books can, and do, develop staple tears in the slab, especially on Moderns. Moderns are very snug in the slab and can be susceptible. It's funny but I don't worry at all about my raws in mylar. In many ways they are safer not being slabbed.