• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GALAXY QUEST TV Show by Amazon
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Galaxy Quest!

doh!

I didn't even think of that one. And I found it to be a really funny movie. And what a missed sequel opportunity.

Just finished two 23 minute documentaries of a 10 year retrospective on the making of it (loads of features on the Deluxe Edition dvd with the whole cast right down to Justin Long and even the underrated Missi Pyle!) and I have to say yes, this one needs a follow-up. Haven't watched it in about 15 years, but I can't wait to view it again soon.

See? There ya go. That's at least two ticket on hold.

Do you see the power of three people?

:baiting:

GALAXY QUEST TV Series In The Works At Amazon

Amazon Studios is turning the 1999 sci-f comedy Galaxy Quest into a TV series, Entertainment Weekly reports. The series will be developed in partnership with Paramount Television.

The original film starred the cast of the in-universe sci-fi series Galaxy Quest, which bore strong similarities to the original Star Trek, as they are abducted and forced to man an actual starship by aliens who mistook their show for reality.

The original film featured a stellar cast, including Sigourney Weaver, Tim Allen, Alan Rickman, and Sam Rockwell. The show is still in its very early stages, and there has been no indication that the studios are looking for these actors to return.

:whee:

Amazon’s ‘Galaxy Quest’ TV Series Is Back in Development

slice428.jpg

The idea of a Galaxy Quest TV series has been around for awhile, and nearly came to fruition a few years ago before Alan Rickman‘s unfortunate passing in 2016. At the time, the movie’s screenwriter Robert Gordon was heading up the revival, but THR is reporting that Paul Scheer (The League) will be taking over those duties for this new iteration of the beloved film over.

Since production was halted after Rickman’s death, it seems like there was some idea to bring back the original cast, including Sigourney Weaver, Tim Allen, Tony Shalhoub, Sam Rockwell, Daryl Mitchell and Enrico Colantoni. Rockwell said in 2016 that:

“We were ready to sign up, and [then] Alan Rickman passed away and Tim Allen wasn’t available — he ha[d] [Last Man Standing] — and everybody’s schedule was all weird. It was going to shoot, like, right now. And how do you fill that void of Alan Rickman? That’s a hard void to fill.”

The new project is being described as a “new take” on the classic film, which means it could be an entirely new group of actors from a fictional sci-fi series that ends up having to save the world from aliens who don’t know the difference between entertainment and real-life.

Say it with me, folks! Never give up, never surrender! GALAXY QUEST star Tim Allen recently met with Entertainment Weekly to offer an update on the long-gestating sequel to the beloved 1999 sci-fi comedy, and what he had to say was rather promising.

It's to be understood that Galaxy Quest fans have wanted a sequel to the beloved film for quite some time, though at a point when things were looking good, Alan Rickman, who played the ornery Shakespearian-trained Alexander Dane (a.k.a. Dr. Lazarus) in the film, passed away in 2016. Sadly, Rickman's untimely passing threw a wrench into the gears of plans for a sequel due to the -script very much focusing on the friendship of Rickman's Dane and Allen's Jason Nesmith (a.k.a. Commander Quincy Taggart).

"It's a fabulous -script," Allen revealed to EW, "but it had a hiccup because the wonderful Alan Rickman passed. So it all got very sad and dark because [the -script] was all about [Lazrus] and Taggart. It was all about their story. It doesn't mean they can't reboot the idea, and the underlying story was hysterical and fun."

"I haven't reached out to anybody in the last week, but we talk about it all the time," Allen elaborated. "There is constantly a little flicker of a butane torch that we could reboot it with. Without giving too much away, a member of Alan's Galaxy Quest family could step in and the idea would still work."

Eager to share more details with the outlet as well as fans, Allen let it slip that the draft -script includes plot elements involving light-speed space travel time dilation, with the NSEA Protector crew being out-of-sync with the rest of the planet.

"[The sequel] could happen now or in five years and it doesn't matter at all because when you travel at light speed when you come back it can be like only 20 minutes, but 20 years have passed, right?" Allen says. "That part is wonderful for the sci-fi freak in me. But right now it's in a holding pattern."

Galaxy Quest fans have never given up and never surrendered on the prospect of a sequel to the beloved 1999 sci-fi comedy – and neither has star Tim Allen.

The project had been gaining momentum toward a greenlight when the project's costar Alan Rickman died in 2016. As fans know, Allen played hammy actor Jason Nesmith (a.k.a. the Kirk-esque Commander Peter Quincy Taggart) and Rickman played the Shakespearian-trained Alexander Dane (a.k.a. the Spock-like Dr. Lazarus) in the Star Trek spoof.

"It's a fabulous -script," Allen tells EW, "but it had a hiccup because the wonderful Alan Rickman passed. So it all got very sad and dark because [the -script] was all about [Lazrus] and Taggart. It was all about their story. It doesn't mean they can't reboot the idea, and the underlying story was hysterical and fun."

"I haven't reached out to anybody in the last week, but we talk about it all the time," Allen adds. "There is constantly a little flicker of a butane torch that we could reboot it with. Without giving too much away, a member of Alan's Galaxy Quest family could step in and the idea would still work."

Allen also revealed that in the draft -script, light-speed space travel time dilation could play a role, with the NSEA Protector crew being out-of-sync with the rest of the planet.

"[The sequel] could happen now or in five years and it doesn't matter at all because when you travel at light speed, when you come back it can be like only 20 minutes, but 20 years have passed, right?" he says. "That part is wonderful for the sci-fi freak in me. But right now it's in a holding pattern."

While speaking exclusively with Screen Rant for Teen Titans Go! & DC Super Hero Girls: Mayhem in the Multiverse, Missi Pyle opened up about the long-gestating Galaxy Quest follow-up. The actress revealed she's been contacted a few times regarding a possible revival and knows of a new -script, but believes a series could come to be. See what Pyle shared below:

"I remember when we made the film. It was kind of a sleeper movie, I think. Obviously, there's that moment when all of a sudden Sigourney Weaver's top is sort of down a little bit, they didn't really know what movie they had, it was mainly PG-13 and then they wanted to make it PG, they cut out a bunch of stuff. Then it really wasn't the kids movie that they were looking to make. And then it became this kind of solid hit and it has such great legs, people just love this movie."

"I ran into Dean Parisot a few years after we made it and he's like, 'I already told the story we needed to tell.' And then 10 years later, I heard something maybe was going to happen and then they begin to make a TV show and I've been reached out to a few times. Then with Alan Rickman passing, I think the idea of doing it with the same cast is over, but I know that there's another -script out there. I don't know what's going to happen, could be a series. I wouldn't be surprised, and I say why not? It was such a lightning in a bottle, I have to say, with that group of people."