• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How common are rusty stapples in GA comics?

16 posts in this topic

Am I to expect rust on the staples as part of doing business with GA comics?

No, not at all.

There are varying degrees of rusty staples, with the most noticeable cases being viewed as a serious defect by most collectors.

Since CGC doesn't post their grading guidelines, I don't know how they account for rusty staples.

Maybe I am not looking hard enough but seems like most I have come across have rust issues with either 1 or both staple (s).

And in many cases I have seen GA comics in CGC holder with the staples both removed....I was surprised by this I did not even know CGC slabbed comics without staples and in most cases there was no inscription in the CGC label.

No, seriously...a rusty staple means a book was actually exposed to air and a little moisture. It makes you wonder what environment that book was from...did it reside in a steel mill, or a damp basement of a serial killer, or possibly a baby slobbered on the staples? Think of the endless possibilities for why that book got rusty staples. It's a mystery that you will never solve, so it should be a special book, a higher priced book, a treasured book, and the rust should be encouraged to multiply and reach its full potential. Who are we to limit any potential for anything... (shrug)hm

:roflmao:

Maybe I am not looking hard enough but seems like most I have come across have rust issues with either 1 or both staple (s).

And in many cases I have seen GA comics in CGC holder with the staples both removed....I was surprised by this I did not even know CGC slabbed comics without staples and in most cases there was no inscription in the CGC label.

Are you sure there were "many cases"? I can't recall ever seeing this.

Rusty staples are certainly more likely, the older the book is. But there are tons of GA books out there without rusty staples. If you are buying online and the scan doesn't show the staples, you can always ask about it before buying if this is a make or break issue for you.

I also avoid truly rusty staples, although I don't mind books where there is some -- even quite significant -- tarnishing of the staples.

Am I to expect rust on the staples as part of doing business with GA comics?

No, not at all.

There are varying degrees of rusty staples, with the most noticeable cases being viewed as a serious defect by most collectors.

Since CGC doesn't post their grading guidelines, I don't know how they account for rusty staples.

Interesting point Steve. I've often wondered.

No, seriously...a rusty staple means a book was actually exposed to air and a little moisture. It makes you wonder what environment that book was from...did it reside in a steel mill, or a damp basement of a serial killer, or possibly a baby slobbered on the staples? Think of the endless possibilities for why that book got rusty staples. It's a mystery that you will never solve, so it should be a special book, a higher priced book, a treasured book, and the rust should be encouraged to multiply and reach its full potential. Who are we to limit any potential for anything... (shrug)hm

:roflmao:

Or let a cat into the room to christen the book? :)

No, seriously...a rusty staple means a book was actually exposed to air and a little moisture. It makes you wonder what environment that book was from...did it reside in a steel mill, or a damp basement of a serial killer, or possibly a baby slobbered on the staples?

Or maybe the family dog pissed on it...:wink: