How common are rusty stapples in GA comics?

16 posts in this topic

1,782 posts

I was thinking of trying to go after a few of the GA key issues in say cgc 2.0 to 3.0.

Am I to expect rust on the staples as part of doing business with GA comics?

14,278 posts

No, not at all.

There are varying degrees of rusty staples, with the most noticeable cases being viewed as a serious defect by most collectors.

Since CGC doesn't post their grading guidelines, I don't know how they account for rusty staples.

1,782 posts

Maybe I am not looking hard enough but seems like most I have come across have rust issues with either 1 or both staple (s).

And in many cases I have seen GA comics in CGC holder with the staples both removed....I was surprised by this I did not even know CGC slabbed comics without staples and in most cases there was no inscription in the CGC label.

23,856 posts

None of my books have even any trace of rust on the staples nor would I want one with.

5,083 posts

I think rust adds color to a GA book, especially if there is significant rust migration. I love it...they should be worth more with rust... hm

5,083 posts

No, seriously...a rusty staple means a book was actually exposed to air and a little moisture. It makes you wonder what environment that book was from...did it reside in a steel mill, or a damp basement of a serial killer, or possibly a baby slobbered on the staples? Think of the endless possibilities for why that book got rusty staples. It's a mystery that you will never solve, so it should be a special book, a higher priced book, a treasured book, and the rust should be encouraged to multiply and reach its full potential. Who are we to limit any potential for anything... (shrug)hm

:roflmao:

Edited by tricolorbrian

9,574 posts

Very uncommon on those I own! (Non-existent). :sumo:

I avoid acquiring books with rusty staples and recommend storing books (slabbed & raw) in a dark, room temp (or lower) environment with under 50% humidity. My 2c

23,195 posts
Maybe I am not looking hard enough but seems like most I have come across have rust issues with either 1 or both staple (s).

And in many cases I have seen GA comics in CGC holder with the staples both removed....I was surprised by this I did not even know CGC slabbed comics without staples and in most cases there was no inscription in the CGC label.

Are you sure there were "many cases"? I can't recall ever seeing this.

Rusty staples are certainly more likely, the older the book is. But there are tons of GA books out there without rusty staples. If you are buying online and the scan doesn't show the staples, you can always ask about it before buying if this is a make or break issue for you.

I also avoid truly rusty staples, although I don't mind books where there is some -- even quite significant -- tarnishing of the staples.

5,083 posts

Missing staples never get rusty...in fact, coverless books never get cover creases or stains...whoa, I think we've all been going about this the wrong way... :o

Edited by tricolorbrian

9,574 posts
Missing staples never get rusty...in fact, coverless books never get cover creases or stains...whoa, I think we've all been going about this the wrong way... :o

I bet you're one of those guys who peals the crust off his toast. hm

19,522 posts

No, not at all.

There are varying degrees of rusty staples, with the most noticeable cases being viewed as a serious defect by most collectors.

Since CGC doesn't post their grading guidelines, I don't know how they account for rusty staples.

Interesting point Steve. I've often wondered.

869 posts
No, seriously...a rusty staple means a book was actually exposed to air and a little moisture. It makes you wonder what environment that book was from...did it reside in a steel mill, or a damp basement of a serial killer, or possibly a baby slobbered on the staples? Think of the endless possibilities for why that book got rusty staples. It's a mystery that you will never solve, so it should be a special book, a higher priced book, a treasured book, and the rust should be encouraged to multiply and reach its full potential. Who are we to limit any potential for anything... (shrug)hm

:roflmao:

Or let a cat into the room to christen the book? :)

2,206 posts
No, seriously...a rusty staple means a book was actually exposed to air and a little moisture. It makes you wonder what environment that book was from...did it reside in a steel mill, or a damp basement of a serial killer, or possibly a baby slobbered on the staples?

Or maybe the family dog pissed on it...:wink: