• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dear Canadian friends: Anyone been charged duty for books shipped to Canada?

36 posts in this topic

I get packages all the time from up north (Robert's sales threads are the best) and they do not appear to have been opened. I've never had to pay any fees to pick them up or have them delivered so I would say no to taxes.

Do Americans get levied taxes on imports and have their packages open?

Interesting question I am curious to know as well.

I would imagine yes? Especially since 9-11.

I have never had to pay taxes/duties on inbound books from Canada. I have had packages opened by customs on the way down, but never any issues with that.

Occasionally, I buy from a Canadian fellow who likes to use FedEx rather than Canada Post - once I had to pay some sort of FedEx processing fee...they delivered the package, then a bill from FedEx showed up in the mail a couple weeks later - not much $$, though (maybe $10 on a $200 package, or something like that).

- I've been told by the post office that they rarely charge on items coming in to Canada which are under $100.

- The post office is considered "free flowing" and therefore customs brokerage is not required on higher dollar books. Couriers will charge for customs brokerage over a certain amount. I think that this is where UPS is really expensive.

- If Canada Post does charge you there is also a handling fee between $5 and $10.

- Sometimes the amount charged doesn't make sense, but it's always lower than it should be. I can't remember ever thinking that the amount was too high.

- If a courier is used, taxes will be charged on amounts below $100 and there will be a handling fee and maybe customs brokerage fee. As mentioned, UPS is by far the most expensive.

- In my province (and probably others) books are tax free so you only pay the 5% federal tax.

Mike

I've been buying stuff from the US since before paypal (have to mail out money order then wait for your item, and people think it's slow today lol) and in all my years I've been lucky and never once had to pay duty/tax when an item was shipped via USPS (this includes buying a $400 statue as well). As others have stated UPS is horrible, I bought a fan pack from a sports team I like that was $50, it came in with a $40 "fee". The taxes where $8, they tried charging me $6 to make that payment on my behalf, $15 in duty fees, $5 admin fee and then taxes on all that. I fought that and luckily only had to pay the tax. FedEx is hit or miss if I've had to pay anything but most times I do.

I have purchased books using both FedEx and USPS, with value declared $20 or less. With FedEx I have been hit with a processing fee and taxes on something that was only valued at $20. With USPS/Canada Post I have been hit with a processing fee $5 and taxes on a $20 book. Now with the current exchange rate their threshold is even less, they are now factoring in the exchange rate. Best bet is $15 or less no problems, but anything over is now fair game if they want to be picky. I have had packages valued at $40 and on ocassion has not been touched by Canada Post, it is a gamble sometimes with no rhyme or reason if it will get taxed.

Of course. Anything $60 and above can be levied. USPS is usually the best option. The other companies usually factor these charges in their price.

This and among all other companies avoid UPS AT ALL COST.

UPS will charge you a prohibitive clearance customs fee in addition to the GST/PST. It's not unusual for them to charge you $120 in fees for a $100 value book.....

Definitely learned this one from personal experience when I brought some mylars through the mail about 20+ years ago.

I will not buy from any company that uses UPS to ship their products into Canada. :makepoint:

Of course. Anything $60 and above can be levied. USPS is usually the best option. The other companies usually factor these charges in their price.

This and among all other companies avoid UPS AT ALL COST.

UPS will charge you a prohibitive clearance customs fee in addition to the GST/PST. It's not unusual for them to charge you $120 in fees for a $100 value book.....

Definitely learned this one from personal experience when I brought some mylars through the mail about 20+ years ago.

I will not buy from any company that uses UPS to ship their products into Canada. :makepoint:

Unless the company covers the broker costs, I have dealt with companies that ship UPS that will do that.

Do Americans get levied taxes on imports and have their packages open?

Never had it happen when buying comics from Canada, Australia, or the UK. Hope I didn't just jinx myself. :wishluck:

I've only ever been dinged on packages $300 or more via regular mail from the US or UK.

UPS is a guarantee ding and their CS is awful. I've had them leave packages for other apartments with me without even checking if my neighbors were home.

I've had great service with Fedex and any time they tried to ding me for CGC shipments, I just explained the invoice showed "Canadian goods being returned" and the taxes have always been waved.