• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SHANNARA CHRONICLES on MTV (01-2016)

64 posts in this topic

I watched and was hooked enough that I downloaded the MTV app to watch the next two episodes before they air. Solid show, looking forward to seeing where it goes.

I agree!

After watching the first four episodes, I can see this being a show people will get attached to. It has a little bit of a SYFY Channel feel to the production. But the location shots are fantastic, and the characters are quite interesting.

After watching the first four episodes, I can see this being a show people will get attached to. It has a little bit of a SYFY Channel feel to the production. But the location shots are fantastic, and the characters are quite interesting.
Yeah, it's light entertainment (TV14) so I don't expect too much. Nice visuals though.

Not having read the books I thought the 'post-civilization' element was surprising. Kind of gives it a Thundarr vibe. They haven't done much with it. It's just there in the background, rotted husks of what was.

Yeah, it's light entertainment (TV14) so I don't expect too much. Nice visuals though.

Not having read the books I thought the 'post-civilization' element was surprising. Kind of gives it a Thundarr vibe. They haven't done much with it. It's just there in the background, rotted husks of what was.

I was expecting more backstory on the destruction of current civilization. They do mention it briefly in Episode One when Wil and Eretria are riding on horseback through the forest. Maybe as they go along, it will come up more.

But also remember this jumps a book. So maybe an explanation of what occurred came up in the first book. I'll have to look into that.

The first book of the series to be mainly adapted is The Elfstones of Shannara, the second book in the trilogy, with some elements of the other novels being gradually adapted to the show.

Watched the first 4 episodes and mostly enjoyed it. I can see myself binging a bunch later, but not going week-to-week.

Going to go the opposite of some here. I think by far the weakest performances are by the men. I think Allanon and Wil are pretty awful, the former because of the writing and the latter because he's just not very good (yet). I also still can't tell the difference between the elf males, I thought one died, but apparently there are still two others who look the same or something lol.

I dug it though.

I do think it looks fun though and seeing this, which can't be that expensive at MTV, it gives me hope that one day we will see my favorite fantasy series, which I've always thought was unfilmable, The Malazan Book of the Fallen, get adapted.

I was expecting more backstory on the destruction of current civilization. They do mention it briefly in Episode One when Wil and Eretria are riding on horseback through the forest. Maybe as they go along, it will come up more.

But also remember this jumps a book. So maybe an explanation of what occurred came up in the first book. I'll have to look into that.

The first book of the series to be mainly adapted is The Elfstones of Shannara, the second book in the trilogy, with some elements of the other novels being gradually adapted to the show.

If going by the books, the evolution of the fantasy setting as a post-civilization is something brought up abruptly much later in the series when Brooks connects two is his unrelated (or not blatantly announced that way) series. It was never meant to be significant Easter eggs this early though some of it is there.

I suspect the reason they skipped the first book is two fold. One, it is a somewhat blatant and admitted rip of LotR, and even if we wanted to be softer in our stance, it's very similar. Brooks has never denied that. Second, there are just more interesting characters and villains in the 2nd book, including female characters (I think the same of book III, Wishsong).

I think the show does its best with that though, making the first book kind of a legendary backdrop that's much more interesting being talked about than us having to live/watch it IMHO.

If going by the books, the evolution of the fantasy setting as a post-civilization is something brought up abruptly much later in the series when Brooks connects two is his unrelated (or not blatantly announced that way) series. It was never meant to be significant easter eggs this early thoguh some of it is there.

I suspect the reason they skipped the first book is two fold. One, it is a somewhat blatant and admitted rip of LotR, and even if we wanted to be softer in our stance, it's very similar. Brooks has never denied that. Second, their are just more interesting characters and villains in the 2nd book, including female characters (I think the same of book III, Wishsong).

I think the show does its best with that though, making the first book kind of a legendary backdrop that's much more interesting being talked about than us having to live/watch it IMHO.

Thanks for sharing this.

I do look forward to learning more about the destruction of civilization, and how mythical beings came to be like Elves. If the books even touch on this.

One wtf-visual-shock was they had the Lead Elf-Girl look amazing. Capital-G gorgeous just hanging out in her room :o:foryou: ...Then almost the very next scene, a formal party no less, they had her looking like hell. WTF?? :eek:

All her costume changes does keep it interesting though, more hit than miss.

Shannara1.jpg

The books were great, some felt they were a bit to Tolkienessqe. Terry Brooks' magic kingdom series was good as well. I remember getting so caught up in the Shannara books as a young teen.

The initial show, IMO was so so but has potential. The actor playing Allanon is solid I liked him in Spartacus.

Game of Thrones is in a league all it's own and this one seems a bit geared toward the vampire diaries crowd.

If going by the books, the evolution of the fantasy setting as a post-civilization is something brought up abruptly much later in the series when Brooks connects two is his unrelated (or not blatantly announced that way) series. It was never meant to be significant easter eggs this early thoguh some of it is there.

I suspect the reason they skipped the first book is two fold. One, it is a somewhat blatant and admitted rip of LotR, and even if we wanted to be softer in our stance, it's very similar. Brooks has never denied that. Second, their are just more interesting characters and villains in the 2nd book, including female characters (I think the same of book III, Wishsong).

Thanks for sharing this.

I do look forward to learning more about the destruction of civilization, and how mythical beings came to be like Elves. If the books even touch on this.

You will see it, but in terms of directly dealing with it, if it follows the books at all, it's MANY books away, like entire arcs away, and what you will see is the world we are presented with now gradually get more modern before we really get into the past.

Obviously all of this is based on whether or not or how closely they follow the books, and how successful the show is to continue. I have not really followed the news on the series so maybe it's already happened, but I'd bet Wishsong is next (it's the next book) if they renew, which present another easily adaptable adventure, and they've already dropped references in just the first 4 episodes that feel put in to be able to next year say "Oh, yeah, they mentioned that in season 1".

Game of Thrones is in a league all it's own and this one seems a bit geared toward the vampire diaries crowd.

Most definitely. Thrones is one of the most expensive shows ever, and the source material is on another level. HBO literally plucked the best thing out of the genre IMHO. This is much more in the usual MTV vibe (Teen Wolf etc), directed at younger audiences and will undoubtebly have very good looking panels at cons. Reminds me a bit of Legends of the Seeker, which were based on books I kind of hate, but the show, to me, was the good kind of dumb fun, and you got to see Bridget Regan :cloud9: running around in the woods in a dress dual wielding blades on people, so that's always a plus.

I enjoyed the first book, even though it was way too much like Tolkien. Years later, I picked up a book that was a prequel to it and didn't care for it at all. The best thing about the original book was the Brothers Hildenbrant artwork, imo.

I just saw a trailer for this show today and taped the first two episodes.

I enjoyed the first book, even though it was way too much like Tolkien. Years later, I picked up a book that was a prequel to it and didn't care for it at all. The best thing about the original book was the Brothers Hildenbrant artwork, imo.

When I was a kid I had the paperbacks to Elfstones and WIshsong, and I loved the classic feel of the Darrell K Sweet covers as well.

Hopefully we will see Garet Jax at some point (maybe next season). Best Brooks character by far.

I really like Slanter from that book.

When I was a kid I had the paperbacks to Elfstones and WIshsong, and I loved the classic feel of the Darrell K Sweet covers as well.

Hopefully we will see Garet Jax at some point (maybe next season). Best Brooks character by far.

I really like Slanter from that book.

I still have the paperbacks from when I was a kid. They are tattered and read, but I've never gotten rid of them.

Last night's episode was decent again. I am PVRing the show so I can just skip the 2 mins of ads in between every 4-5 mins of the actual show..........

I did not read the books when I was younger. How does the storyline seem so far relative to the books they are derived from?

Last night's episode was decent again. I am PVRing the show so I can just skip the 2 mins of ads in between every 4-5 mins of the actual show..........

I did not read the books when I was younger. How does the storyline seem so far relative to the books they are derived from?

Note, it's been awhile for me so sorry if I'm wrong about anything in advance.

It's based on the second book (skipping the first). I have not see the latest episode so I might be behind but more or less it's true to the books. I feel like I was introduced to another Demon at the same time as the Changeling but It feels pretty much true to the first minus the intro to the Rovers which is a little bit patched together in terms of when and how they met. I think Erteria and Amberle's meeting at first on the show is to facilitate a bit of a romantic triangle for the tv audience.

The big thing, and this might just be me and I have forgotten, but I don't think so, I don't remember Bandon at all, and I'm pretty sure he's not in the books. Not only that, I feel like his function kind of sucks.

The books are not very complex so adaptations should be pretty straightforward minus simple changes for different audiences. This series is very much a standard formula epic fantasy quest, in fact I very much credit it for recreating the fantasy market in terms of being financially viable. This is not a newcomer YA series, it's been around since the '70s.

Episode Five had quite a few twists and turns in the story, with different parties appearing to be on top of the situation. But that ending was a surprise for me.

Those end credits revealed quite a bit about the future stories, though.