• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto Variant

916 posts in this topic

A raw copy of one of these was just listed for auction last night on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262029141076?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's the first one offered for sale on its own, in any condition, in nearly a year, and I thought now would be a good time to start an appreciation thread/club for the owners, future owners, and admirers of this book.

First, here's my copy:

:cloud9:

ASM667new_zps77fbcd8b.jpg

I bought this raw shortly after it came out from an LCS in Newfoundland. That's right- Canada. That was the only place I could find one in any kind of decent condition, and was thrilled it came back a 9.8.

To date there are only 19 slabbed copies of this. Considering that this book has sold for several hundreds of dollars since Day One, and $1,000+ in a 9.8 in mid 2013 (the last time a 9.8 sold publicly), and what It goes for raw, this is a surprisingly small number.

Unlike many other high dollar/low print run cover variants, this was not a store exclusive, it was not handed out at conventions or dealer "summits", and there was no sketch, partial sketch, or any alternate version of the artwork on it produced and released on another cover. As far as I know, the only other way to get any other version of this cover in any form is via the Italian reprint (which I also own :cloud9: ).

For the un-initiated, the cover was released with little fanfare as a 1:100 (which would already put it out of reach for most small to mid-sized shops), and on the heels of the massive ASM 666 event, which itself generated nearly 150 variants. The school of thought is that 667 was subsequently massively under ordered due to retailer/customer variant fatigue, leading to a print run of as little as 200 copies.

Given how few of these come to market, in any condition, raw or slabbed, a figure that small would not surprise me.

Needless to say, I'm a big fan of the cover, always have been from the beginning.

Anyone else out there have one, please feel free to post it here, raw or slabbed, in any condition. And if anyone has any leads on one or spots one in the wild that would be interesting to hear about as well. (thumbs u

-J.

Thought this was a for sale thread for your 9.8 jay... I was getting the check book out...

lol Not this time unfortunately. Probably will never have the heart to let it go.

@Phil- Agreed, pics of the book don't do it justice. It's definitely one of Dell'Otto's best Spidey covers out there.

It's the dark blue back cover that keeps most of the few raw copies I've seen on ebay out of 9.8 territory.

-J.

$1,800 is a fair deal IMO. It's sitting at 1k right now. 11 graded copies? ???

It's a little high considering the damage, might be pressable, might not. Hope a boardie wins it so I can follow the drama!

Jerome

The bend on the front looks pressable. The back bend looks like it may break a little colour. But that's common for the book. There was one other copy offered in the beginning of the year as part of a lot with a 678 VenoMJ and a Superman variant. The copy in that lot looked like a 5.0 at best, the spine was totally wrecked.

May be now or never. :baiting:

-J.

It's a little high considering the damage, might be pressable, might not. Hope a boardie wins it so I can follow the drama!

Jerome

The bend on the front looks pressable. The back bend looks like it may break a little colour. But that's common for the book. There was one other copy offered in the beginning of the year as part of a lot with a 678 VenoMJ and a Superman variant. The copy in that lot looked like a 5.0 at best, the spine was totally wrecked.

-J.

Nah, I'd rather blow my wad on a 9.8. Unless I find one in-person to look over or something.

Jerome

Jerome

-J.

Nah, I'd rather blow my wad on a CGC 9.8 one.

Jerome

Blown wads.... :cloud9:

-J.

Jerome

-J.

Jerome

-J.

Let me know if you ever feel like blowing my wa-....I'll just stop right there.

Jerome

Jerome

-J.

Jerome

-J.

Let me know if you ever feel like blowing my wa-....I'll just stop right there.

Jerome

:roflmao:

-J.

Great idea of an appreciation thread for this book. :golfclap: Here is mine. It is raw, I bought it at eBay in early 2014 or so for $1000, which I then thought to be ridiculous, but which now seems to be not so bad. :banana: The front cover looks really well, unfortunately the back cover has a scratch. But I don't know if this is a defect or a printing defect, since I can not feel the scratch at all. Whatever, I think many people will be a bit jealous.

vy8m50.jpg

2ibz250.jpg

Great idea of an appreciation thread for this book. :golfclap: Here is mine. It is raw, I bought it at eBay in early 2014 or so for $1000, which I then thought to be ridiculous, but which now seems to be not so bad. :banana: The front cover looks really well, unfortunately the back cover has a scratch. But I don't know if this is a defect or a printing defect, since I can not feel the scratch at all. Whatever, I think many people will be a bit jealous.

vy8m50.jpg

2ibz250.jpg

You have a sweet looking copy Dutch. The dark blue back cover on many of the ones I have seen on ebay have similar issues. You should definitely slab that puppy!

Here is the updated "club" list (population: 2):

Universal

9.8. Jaydogrules, Page 1

Raw

Dutch74, Page 2

Wonder if Kuddy will be popping in anytime soon. hm

-J.