• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto Variant

916 posts in this topic

I don't think I will slab my copy, for three reasons.

1. It's incovenient as I am in the Netherlands

2. I am a collector and completist first and foremost, and why would I sell this book if chances are that I can not replace it? There are other, much less rare ASM variants, that I haven't been able to find in real high grade the past 2 years: ASM648 color, ASM620 Deadpool, ...

3. And in the case I would consider selling, I would sell a book which has a 9.8 appeal to me (frontcover), at a much lower price as this won't be a 9.8 due to the small back issue

best, E

The school of thought is that 667 was subsequently massively under ordered due to retailer/customer variant fatigue, leading to a print run of as little as 200 copies.

Documentation, please.

As has been discussed many times before, variants aren't printed "to order", and never have been. It has been a consistent mistake by many in the comics world to believe that the print run of any particular "1:X" variant is tied, in any way, to orders/print runs of the regular version.

They are distributed to order, not printed.

I don't quite understand why you keep repeating this erroneous idea, Jaydog.

:shrug:

I think the seller should be happy but I thought the buyer might have overpaid

$2K can buy a much better book IMHO

Whoa. $2k+even. I thought it would get around the $1800 mark the seller said he would take as a BIN off the record. You're paying for the rarity with a book like this. If you collect modern Spidey variants (or just rare variants in general), this is probably at or near the top of your list. They just don't come up for sale.

Though I can't think of any other moderns that have sold for that kind of money raw. Under CGC's current seemingly tight grading standards that book looks to be about a 9.4 with a press. .

-J.

I agree with the grade, that back cover looked like it broke color but it maybe the lighting in the pic

Looks like the seller added some zoom-able pictures since I last looked at it.

You're right, there are a couple of colour breaks on the blue back cover. That's common on this book but they don't all have that so I don't think CGC would treat it as a printing defect.

It still looks like a solid NM book, and is more than double what Elmer paid for his NM raw a year and a half ago, with a similar back cover issue, but in a different area of the cover. Seller is obviously happy and the buyer got scored one of the toughest moderns out there. (thumbs u

-J.

I think the seller should be happy but I thought the buyer might have overpaid

$2K can buy a much better book IMHO

Do you mean 2k can buy a better copy of this particular book? This book hits the market once a year if that? Not really surprised that this book went over 2K considering the rarity and the pool of spidey collectors.

Sure the 2k could've been spent on a silver age key but there are collectors that will rather have a rare modern variant than a more common mid grade silver or high grade bronze.

I meant the second, doesn't have to be silver. Could be rare copper/modern.

2K on a 9.2/9.4 rare modern is not a good purchase, this is my opinion, which is subject to being wrong etc.

2K on a 9.2/9.4 rare modern is not a good purchase, this is my opinion, which is subject to being wrong etc.

Agreed. 2k on a 9.2 /9.4 is on the high end especially since most modern collectors only want 9.8s.

Agreed. 2k on a 9.2 /9.4 is on the high end especially since most modern collectors only want 9.8s.

I paid a tidy sum for mine 3 1/2 years ago shortly after it first dropped. Unless you had it on your pull list the day it came out, and your LCS qualified for the incentive, and still gave it to you for cover price (not likely), no one has ever gotten this book cheap in any condition. Elmer paid $1000+ for his in a slightly better condition a year and a half ago. Someone paid over $2k for this one. If another one in any kind of decent shape doesn't surface for another year, this also may look like a bargain.

-J.

I paid a tidy sum for mine 3 1/2 years ago shortly after it first dropped. Unless you had it on your pull list the day it came out, and your LCS qualified for the incentive, and still gave it to you for cover price (not likely), no one has ever gotten this book cheap in any condition. Elmer paid $1000+ for his in a slightly better condition a year and a half ago. Someone paid over $2k for this one. If another one in any kind of decent shape doesn't surface for another year, this also may look like a bargain.

-J.

Which is, of course, a perfect example of why this market is so delicate, and one needs to tread verrrry carefully. This kind of money being paid for manufactured "rarities" is going to cause major heartache in the future.

There's no compelling reason...other than "rarity"...that this book should be selling for this kind of money, and yet, here we are....there's nothing special about the cover, there's nothing special about the issue itself...the only reason it sells for these nosebleed prices is because it is "rare."

There are countless, endless examples of markets that crashed, and crashed hard, because of people paying extreme prices solely because of rarity; there was nothing about the item itself that made it special, it was just..."rare."

And it's all about relativity. $2,000 for this book wouldn't be a problem, if everything else was selling for the same relative amounts of money.

But they're not. If it's not a "key, hot, first appearance!" nobody cares. New Mutants #87 tops $500 in 9.8, but you can't give away #88 for 1/10th that price. That's not the sign of a healthy market; that's just tulipmania.

Speaking of "supposed" print runs, consider the example of the Batman #608 "retailer incentive edition."

Since almost the beginning, the "conventional wisdom" has been that DC only printed 200 copies. People made purchases based on that "fact."

And yet, as I write, there are 285 copies on the census. Even considering resubs without returned labels, that's still more than 200 copies..and that's just in CGC slabs. Obviously, not all copies of this book are in CGC slabs.

Granted, there are probably fewer than 500. But 500, or 400, or even 300, is a substantial percentage over 200. Who made up the 200 figure? Who knows? Will they ever have to take responsibility for their error? Probably not in this lifetime. Does it matter? Perhaps, perhaps not.

But it does illustrate the point: just because someone *says* something has "thus and such a print run" doesn't make it so, and yet, no one ever seems to be called to account for such misinformation.

Something to think about.

I agree with the grade, that back cover looked like it broke color but it maybe the lighting in the pic

You're right, there are a couple of colour breaks on the blue back cover. That's common on this book but they don't all have that so I don't think CGC would treat it as a printing defect.

Wait, how do you know that's common on this book, if there are only ~200 copies in existence...? How many have you seen in hand?

The school of thought is that 667 was subsequently massively under ordered due to retailer/customer variant fatigue, leading to a print run of as little as 200 copies.

Documentation, please.

As has been discussed many times before, variants aren't printed "to order", and never have been. It has been a consistent mistake by many in the comics world to believe that the print run of any particular "1:X" variant is tied, in any way, to orders/print runs of the regular version.

Exactly.

With Marvel it's minimum 1,500 rounded to the case

They might distribute 500.

The rest usually finds their way to market.

Documentation, please.

Exactly.

I'd want documentation for either claim. Am I to just believe that Marvel stores extras in a room somewhere? I've never once heard of Marvel distributing old issues as new to unload a thousand extra copies. I have a hard time believing that Marvel wants to keep unsold issues on-hand and pay taxes on the assets year after year. So I still tend to think they print on an order-basis...unless someone can prove that they don't (shrug)

Jerome

Documentation, please.

Exactly.

I'd want documentation for either claim. Am I to just believe that Marvel stores extras in a room somewhere? I've never once heard of Marvel distributing old issues as new to unload a thousand extra copies. I have a hard time believing that Marvel wants to keep unsold issues on-hand and pay taxes on the assets year after year. So I still tend to think they print on an order-basis...unless someone can prove that they don't (shrug)

Jerome

I would agree that the latter half of your post is the far more likely scenario. Marvel distributes as ordered and more likely than not hands out a few other random copies to whatever employees, vendors or whatever that might ask for one, and pulps the rest. Their retailer incentive program would have zero credibility if they flooded the secondary market with un-shipped copies of RI variants, weeks, months (or years?) down the line. Come on.

Fact is, this book started off exceedingly rare, and has only become even more so in the four years since its release. Hence the price tag.

-J.

Wait, how do you know that's common on this book, if there are only ~200 copies in existence...? How many have you seen in hand?

I've seen of course my own, and maybe six others raw in high res scans on these boards and auctions over the last four years.

All but one of those raw copies had some kind of colour breaking scratch or abrasion on the back cover. I know it is not a printing error however, because mine does not have it and neither does kuddy's, and I'm assuming the other 9 graded 9.8 copies don't have it either. It looks to be about a 50/50 chance. I would still slab the book in any condition though since even a 5.0 looking raw copy has fetched $600 in auction (two years ago).

-J.