• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 667 1:100 Dell'Otto Variant

916 posts in this topic

The school of thought is that 667 was subsequently massively under ordered due to retailer/customer variant fatigue, leading to a print run of as little as 200 copies.

Documentation, please.

As has been discussed many times before, variants aren't printed "to order", and never have been. It has been a consistent mistake by many in the comics world to believe that the print run of any particular "1:X" variant is tied, in any way, to orders/print runs of the regular version.

They are distributed to order, not printed.

I don't quite understand why you keep repeating this erroneous idea, Jaydog.

:shrug:

Exactly.

With Marvel it's minimum 1,500 rounded to the case

They might distribute 500.

The rest usually finds their way to market.

I'd want documentation for either claim. Am I to just believe that Marvel stores extras in a room somewhere? I've never once heard of Marvel distributing old issues as new to unload a thousand extra copies. I have a hard time believing that Marvel wants to keep unsold issues on-hand and pay taxes on the assets year after year. So I still tend to think they print on an order-basis...unless someone can prove that they don't (shrug)

Jerome

I would agree that the latter half of your post is the far more likely scenario. Marvel distributes as ordered and more likely than not hands out a few other random copies to whatever employees, vendors or whatever that might ask for one, and pulps the rest. Their retailer incentive program would have zero credibility if they flooded the secondary market with un-shipped copies of RI variants, weeks, months (or years?) down the line. Come on.

Fact is, this book started off exceedingly rare, and has only become even more so in the four years since its release. Hence the price tag.

-J.

Marvel has had a "variant buyout program" through Diamond for a very long time...maybe even 15+ years now.

They don't "hand out a few random copies and then pulp the rest."

Diamond allows accounts to buy these bulk variants, long after they were released, which is why you see "variant vendors" like Jay Company and others who have massive amounts of these books as almost their exclusive inventory.

Their retailer incentive program would have zero credibility if they flooded the secondary market with un-shipped copies of RI variants, weeks, months (or years?) down the line. Come on.

That is exactly what they have done, for many years now. Are you just not aware of this...?

hm

How do you know this book has become "more rare" in the four years since its release? How would you prove such a statement in any way? Rarity doesn't equal market availability, it equals extant copies.

If 1,000 copies are sitting in 5 cases somewhere in storage, the book hasn't gotten "more rare"....it's simply not available on the market.

Will you be answering any of these questions directly, Jay...?

Again, please direct me to this magical warehouse that indefinitely stores crates and boxes of impossible to find variants that sell for thousands of dollars.

No?

Your speculative assumptions are much more far-fetched than anything anyone else has said in this thread. And, frankly mis-placed. You've made your point, you hate that certain rare (ASM) variants sell for incredible sums. That really bothers you for some reason. But if you want to discuss the likelihood of the infinite possibilities of rare variants laying around a warehouse somewhere that's probably better suited in a new thread in Comics General, or somewhere else. This is an appreciation thread for this book.

lol

-J.

I agree that Jadogrules' threads on the ASM678 MJ/Venom and now the ASM667 Del'Otto radiate his enthusiasm about his 9.8 copies and maybe he exaggerates a bit, but what is wrong with that?

Because misinformation is misinformation.

People repeat things they've "heard" and it becomes "established fact" (See: Martin Goodman's "golf story" about FF), when there's no truth to it.

200 or 500 copies, or even a few more, fact is that there will always be completists, especially with ASM. People will want these books, prices are crazy at the moment and the ASM667 is still not being drawn from collections. I think it is unlikely that this will change with time passing by.

Unlikely? How can you say? Because it hasn't happened yet, it's unlikely to happen at all? What if 1,000 copies suddenly show up? Not only is that not unheard of, it's happened before: previously "rare" books had multiple copies found, and those who paid a huge premium ended up overpaying when the dust settled.

People have been chasing "rare variants" for 25 years now, and invariably, those who bought when the books were "rare" paid far more than they could have only a few years down the line. $200 for Harbinger #0 Pink? $150 for Eternal Warrior #1 Gold? $500 for Spiderman #1 Platinum? $100 for Prime #1 Silver Hologram?

It all happened, and more.

Is that the case with this book? Maybe. Maybe not. If you have the money, and you want to pay it, by all means, go for it. We don't live forever, so if you want it, and can pay for it, do it.

But....the hype machine, wherein in speculation based on erroneous understanding is passed off as "fact"...has to be balanced with sober consideration and accurate information.

The school of thought is that 667 was subsequently massively under ordered due to retailer/customer variant fatigue, leading to a print run of as little as 200 copies.

Documentation, please.

As has been discussed many times before, variants aren't printed "to order", and never have been. It has been a consistent mistake by many in the comics world to believe that the print run of any particular "1:X" variant is tied, in any way, to orders/print runs of the regular version.

Exactly.

I'd want documentation for either claim. Am I to just believe that Marvel stores extras in a room somewhere? I've never once heard of Marvel distributing old issues as new to unload a thousand extra copies. I have a hard time believing that Marvel wants to keep unsold issues on-hand and pay taxes on the assets year after year. So I still tend to think they print on an order-basis...unless someone can prove that they don't (shrug)

Jerome

I would agree that the latter half of your post is the far more likely scenario. Marvel distributes as ordered and more likely than not hands out a few other random copies to whatever employees, vendors or whatever that might ask for one, and pulps the rest. Their retailer incentive program would have zero credibility if they flooded the secondary market with un-shipped copies of RI variants, weeks, months (or years?) down the line. Come on.

Fact is, this book started off exceedingly rare, and has only become even more so in the four years since its release. Hence the price tag.

-J.

Marvel has had a "variant buyout program" through Diamond for a very long time...maybe even 15+ years now.

Diamond allows accounts to buy these bulk variants, long after they were released, which is why you see "variant vendors" like Jay Company and others who have massive amounts of these books as almost their exclusive inventory.

Their retailer incentive program would have zero credibility if they flooded the secondary market with un-shipped copies of RI variants, weeks, months (or years?) down the line. Come on.

That is exactly what they have done, for many years now. Are you just not aware of this...?

hm

How do you know this book has become "more rare" in the four years since its release? How would you prove such a statement in any way? Rarity doesn't equal market availability, it equals extant copies.

If 1,000 copies are sitting in 5 cases somewhere in storage, the book hasn't gotten "more rare"....it's simply not available on the market.

Again, please direct me to this magical warehouse that indefinitely stores crates and boxes of impossible to find variants that sell for thousands of dollars.

No?

Your speculative assumptions are much more far-fetched than anything anyone else has said in this thread. And, frankly mis-placed. You've made your point, you hate that certain rare (ASM) variants sell for incredible sums. That really bothers you for some reason. But if you want to discuss the likelihood of the infinite possibilities of rare variants laying around a warehouse somewhere that's probably better suited in a new thread in Comics General, or somewhere else. This is an appreciation thread for this book.

lol

-J.

s10mxd.jpg

Documentation, please.

Exactly.

Jerome

-J.

hm

No?

Your speculative assumptions are much more far-fetched than anything anyone else has said in this thread.

What speculative assumptions? Don't just accuse, nail me, point blank: what specific assumptions have I made, speculative or otherwise..?

No more game playing, Jay, let's get down to facts.

I didn't say there WERE cases of this book in existence in a warehouse...that's not the point. I don't know....but more importantly, neither do you, but you speculate nonetheless, presenting as "fact" that "about 200" copies of this book were printed, ignoring long established Marvel, Diamond, and comic publishing practice in the process.

And, frankly mis-placed. You've made your point, you hate it that certain rare (ASM) variants sell for incredible sums.

You are completely wrong, Jay. I've never said any such thing, and never would. I favor a vibrant, healthy market, where everything has value because it has a reason to have value, not just because something is "rare."

But if you want to discuss the likelihood of the infinite possibilities of rare variants laying around a warehouse somewhere that's probably better suited in a new thread in Comics General, or somewhere else. This is an appreciation thread for this book.

lol

-J.

You engage in hyperbole and misrepresentation because you don't like the underlying message: this kind of market madness cannot be sustained. There are not "infinite possibilities" of "rare variants" lying around in a warehouse somewhere...but it is far, far more likely to be the case...having already been proven to happen, for many books, over many years...than for Marvel to only have "printed" ~200 copies of an Amazing Spiderman comic, or to have "pulped" the rest.

You don't understand Marvel's publishing and distribution system, so you speculate based on what makes sense to you. But, you don't call your speculation what it is, and couch it as fact.

That's misleading.

And if you're going to continue to ignore these facts, and keep spreading misinformation, you should expect to be challenged, regardless of what thread it happens in. It's...truly...nothing personal. If you lived through the speculative madness and subsequent crash of the early to mid 90's, you would recognize that it's spoken out of concern, and not "hatred."

I think that the books that are not rare and still very valuable are... rare

That is certainly the prevailing definition on these boards. lol

"Look at how rare such and such is because it goes for so much money!"

Never mind the fact that if you had the money, any given day you could find and buy the comic. Very, very few domestic comics are "rare". Expensive, absolutely. Rare, hardly.

I use the $0.35 Star Wars comics as my example. For the most part, anytime I want to buy one of these "rare" issues, I can usually do so (understand that I'm discounting the grade for these issues) if I had the money. But, try and find a newsstand reprint of Star Wars #5 or 6 (also in any condition.) These reprints are much, much harder to find (and #6 is magnitudes tougher than #5.) One sells for thousands. The other (if it can be found) sells for a few bucks. One is deemed "rare". The other "common". And that distinction is based on the value, not the actual trouble one has to go through to find copies.

True.

#5 and #6 newsstand reprints are absurdly rare, but because no one cares....nothing.

The real beast is the #1 30 cent "Direct Market" fat diamond....if it really exists.

Documentation, please.

Exactly.

Jerome

-J.

hm

No?

Your speculative assumptions are much more far-fetched than anything anyone else has said in this thread.

What speculative assumptions? Don't just accuse, nail me, point blank: what specific assumptions have I made, speculative or otherwise..?

I didn't say there WERE cases of this book in existence in a warehouse...that's not the point. I don't know....but more importantly, neither do you, but you speculate nonetheless, presenting as "fact" that "about 200" copies of this book were printed, ignoring long established Marvel, Diamond, and comic publishing practice in the process.

And, frankly mis-placed. You've made your point, you hate it that certain rare (ASM) variants sell for incredible sums.

You are completely wrong, Jay. I've never said any such thing, and never would. I favor a vibrant, healthy market, where everything has value because it has a reason to have value, not just because something is "rare."

But if you want to discuss the likelihood of the infinite possibilities of rare variants laying around a warehouse somewhere that's probably better suited in a new thread in Comics General, or somewhere else. This is an appreciation thread for this book.

lol

-J.

You engage in hyperbole and misrepresentation because you don't like the underlying message: this kind of market madness cannot be sustained. There are not "infinite possibilities" of "rare variants" lying around in a warehouse somewhere...but it is far, far more likely to be the case...having already been proven to happen, for many books, over many years...than for Marvel to only have "printed" ~200 copies of an Amazing Spiderman comic, or to have "pulped" the rest.

You don't understand Marvel's publishing and distribution system, so you speculate based on what makes sense to you. But, you don't call your speculation what it is, and couch it as fact.

That's misleading.

And if you're going to continue to ignore these facts, and keep spreading misinformation, you should expect to be challenged, regardless of what thread it happens in. It's...truly...nothing personal. If you lived through the speculative madness and subsequent crash of the early to mid 90's, you would recognize that it's spoken out of concern, and not "hatred."

I'm pretty sure that the measly dozen or so times that this remarkably rare book has exchanged hands on the open market at increasingly elevated prices and the handful that are out there in the wild does not portend nor will bring down the comic industry. Never fear. (thumbs u

-J.

Documentation, please.

Exactly.

Jerome

-J.

hm

No?

lol

-J.

s10mxd.jpg

:roflmao:

-J.

Awax brought up five below earlier

I purchased a lot of $4 packs of 4 comics many of which were 1:50, 1:100 variants

Got a Mary Jane 678 or dell'otto 667 in there by any chance ? :baiting:

-J.

The point was to confirm what others have said

Marvel does print more of the variants and not just per comics ordered

I purchased a lot of $4 packs of 4 comics many of which were 1:50, 1:100 variants

-J.

Great. Point made. I would suggest starting a new thread that showcases such finds. But that doesn't change the extraordinary and well settled rarity of this particular book.

Back on topic...

I wonder if the sale result of this raw copy will flush even one copy out of another collection. hm

-J.

-J.

Great. Point made. I would suggest starting a new thread that showcases such finds. But that doesn't change the extraordinary and well settled rarity of this particular book.

Back on topic...

I wonder if the sale result of this raw copy will flush even one copy out of another collection. hm

-J.

I doubt these results will encourage others to sell their books if they're looking for these prices. Like the other ASM variant auction discussed last week - this auction was also less than "10 seconds and a $1000 dollar snipe" away from dealing a blow to the perceived market value of the book. At least this snipe won.

I don't know if "increasingly aggressive bidding" was referring to $1000 snipe bids in the final seconds - if I owned & wanted to sell one I'd rather see more interest near the hammer price from multiple bidders not just two guys. :grin:

Some of your statements ignore the realities of comic book collecting and the collector's mentality in general.

How so...?

hm

Many collectors want to have something that the next guy doesn't have.

...a point I've made, myself, many times.

Everyone has an NM 87, 98 a hulk 181, etc.

That isn't remotely true. There are plenty of people who don't have these books, which is why they sell for so much money. Do you think that people who are buying them for ever-increasing prices are doing so because they already have them, and want more? Not at all.

Possibly only 200 people have this.

And possibly there are another 1500 copies...or more...being warehouse somewhere.

The latter is far, far more likely. Far more.

Marvel doesn't print "only" 200 copies of anything.

If you are a spidey completist you will want this book.

Says who?

Why does a "spidey completist" have to have this book? Shouldn't that be a "spidey variant completist" will want this book, or a "variant completist" in general will want this book? You don't need to have this book to have a complete ASM #1-700 (or whatever) set.

So few copies of a book in the historic run of Marvel's flagship character's title will bring out wallets. The artwork is incredible, by one of the best working cover artists today. Who's to say that some of these variants of today won't be the "classic covers" of tomorrow ? "Manufactured" or not, the book is a rarity. And that is indeed something that carries a premium in this hobby when all the stars align. Granted, there are very few modern variants where this has happened.

But it has happened.

-J.

"The artwork is incredible" is a matter of personal taste. Frankly, the art is fairly pedestrian and mediocre, typical of Dell'Otto's art. There's nothing particularly compelling about it, and it will almost certainly never become a "classic" cover in the future.

The book is a rarity...for now. Will it remain a "rarity" forever...? That's really the question.

I'm pretty sure that the measly dozen or so times that this remarkably rare book has exchanged hands on the open market at increasingly elevated prices and the handful that are out there in the wild does not portend nor will bring down the comic industry. Never fear. (thumbs u

-J.

So....you don't have any specific assumptions I've made, then...?

If you want to dismiss, by all means, feel free. There are always those who...for reasons they are loathe to disclose...will dismiss anyone who warns against market exuberance. That's fine. If you want to ignore the signs, this being one of them, no problem. If you don't see...or won't see...how paying thousands of dollars for items solely because they are "rare" is a major, major sign of market instability, a truth that has been repeated over and over again throughout history, no problem.

Suffice it to say, that won't stop the warnings from coming. :)

Is this the "rarest" Amazing Spider-Man variant? If Marvel started printing 1 of 500 variants for Amazing Spider-Man (i.e. manufactured collectible) do you think there would be people lining up to buy them or is this issue special because it stands alone as the "rarest" Amazing Spider-Man variant? (If so, it seems like Marvel or an enterprising comic shop could start another business to cater to this crowd.)

By the way, I'm quoting rare, not to disparage those who claim this comic is rare, but because I've always used the Overstreet definition of rare which is 10-20 copies. I look at this Amazing Spider-Man variant as having a low print number, not as rare.

Final question, if I wanted to buy this comic on any given day, regardless of price, is it available? Or is it something that comes up for sale very, very infrequently?

I have been collecting ASM variants for over two years now and this is certainly the one that has appeared the least on eBay. By far. I have seen it now four times, 1 a CGC9.6 which was on for like 2 hours or so, the others all raw. of course, money can buy anything. From this thread you can identify three boardies who have this book...

If you offered $10,000 for the book, I guarantee you, you could find several copies in a few days.

That's the point rjrjr is making. If the only barrier is money, the item isn't really all that "rare."

I can have an Action Comics #1 in my hand by the weekend....if I simply offered enough money.

But try finding a copy of, say, Amazing Man #26...not so easy.

At least someone listens to me :foryou:

Five Below - That was the discount store I was thinking about. Sorry I didn't recall you mentioning it. :foryou:

This is an example of these extra printed ratio'd variants showing up after the retailers had their fill through the normal incentive program.

-J.

Well settled...?

The book came out in 2011. How can that be "well settled" in such a short amount of time...?

After all...it took 3200 years to find King Tut's tomb. Some folks thought it was "well settled" that the tomb would never be found....

hm