• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st App Original Artwork: Jane Foster Female Thor & Spider-Woman Spider Gwen

11 posts in this topic

For the "Female Thor" portrayed by Jane Foster...

Would "What If? #10" issue for original art collectors be considered to be her "1st Appearance" (I guess many purists would say more in concept, almost like a prototype)?

I see a page featuring her went for nearly $1,500 just selling on 09/06/15 with that price looking to be purely based on the character not the issue or artist.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/panel-pages/rick-hoberg-and-dave-hunt-what-if-10-what-if-jane-foster-had-found-the-hammer-of-thor-page-29-original-art-m/a/121536-11064.s?ic4=OtherResults-SampleItem-071515

And I say that since I see a page from the issue, but no rendering of the character has an asking price of $350 (keeping in mind it's on it's 3rd relist on eBay from $400 so probably) as the starting bid.

So, when it comes to original art, if it's a character that's driving the value, the character needs to be featured in the artwork otherwise the value's diminished tremendously from those that do feature(i.e., any page from Incredible Hulk #180 w/o Wolverine who's only on the last page; or New Mutants #98 w/o Deadpool; or All Star Comics #58 w/o Power Girl, who only appeared in 3 pages of the issue)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/What-if-Jane-Foster-Found-the-Hammer-of-Thor-10-feat-Loki-Rick-Hoberg-/171919184396?

I pose the question because I know that for THOR #1 (2014) where the character debuted in her current incarnation, and THOR #8 (2015) where her then hidden identity was revealed, artist Russell Dauterman is a digital artist, so no original artwork other than the digital 1/1 artists proofs prints that he sells ( http://russelldauterman.com/faq ) exists, so there's no options for pure original art as most collectors prefer.

Or would a person looking for her (Jane Foster Thor) 1st Appearance seek out maybe one of the original art pieces of a variant cover published by a non-digital artist?

Similarly, I heard that the original artwork from "Edge of Spider-Verse #2" by Robbi Rodriguez does not exist and was victim to an accident, so the only option for original artwork for the 1st Appearance of Spider-Woman Gwen Stacy is the variant cover by Greg Land, where the original art exists.

I'm never gonna watch, read, or touch female Thor... the concept reeks of stupidity.

Female Zeus.... Female Jesus....Female Thor... one could hardly come up with something dumber.

You should avoid Ody-C then. Fraction and Ward have inverted the genders of every character from the Homer epic.

if i was a woman, id actually find this concept insulting. You mean to tell me the only way to make a female character exciting and interesting to the readers...is to basically have her take all her powers and characteristics from a male counterpart and "be like them"?

We can pretty it up all we want, but we are saying "no one wants a female superhero, so lets just take spiderman and Thor and give em b00bies...yeah, now she is compelling cause she is just like the man that came before her".

its not empowering, its not solving anything, its just pandering for the mary-sue crowd who honestly dont read comics anyway and only care about the look of it not the truth of it.

if i was a woman, id actually find this concept insulting. You mean to tell me the only way to make a female character exciting and interesting to the readers...is to basically have her take all her powers and characteristics from a male counterpart and "be like them"?

We can pretty it up all we want, but we are saying "no one wants a female superhero, so lets just take spiderman and Thor and give em b00bies...yeah, now she is compelling cause she is just like the man that came before her".

its not empowering, its not solving anything, its just pandering for the mary-sue crowd who honestly dont read comics anyway and only care about the look of it not the truth of it.

Just going to go out on a limb here and guess you haven't read it.

Because it is an outstanding story so far. Jason Aaron has taken the concept in an interesting direction.

I'm saying the entire concept is off putting. we need more female characters so let's just rework the male characters into female since, you know, women are somehow not compelling enough if we make a new hero from scratch.

I'm saying the entire concept is off putting. we need more female characters so let's just rework the male characters into female since, you know, women are somehow not compelling enough if we make a new hero from scratch.

I'm guessing you also can't stand: Batgirl. Batwoman. Supergirl. Captain Marvel. Ms Marvel. She-Hulk. Spiderwoman. Stargirl. Robin (Carrie Kelly). Robin (Stephanie Brown). Hawkgirl. Hawkwoman. Doctor Midnight (Beth Chapel). Kid Flash (Iris West). Jessie Quick. She-Thing (Sharon Ventura).