• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Replace staples?

15 posts in this topic

Hello out there! I am wanting any kind of feedback, comments and advice that I can get. I have a MAD #1 and it has been graded by CGC at a 1.8 and part of that is because of excessive rust on both top and bottom staples. The rust from the staples will continue to damage the paper. My question is should I, through a highly professional restoration company, replace the staples? If that was the ONLY thing I was going to do, Should I do it? If I ONLY replace the staples, at least that will get rid of the problem from the source. Yes, yes I know about getting a restored label from CGC but Im not at all concerned about that. Im just wanting to stop the damage. I think also that it could increase a little bit the grade of the issue because of new staples.

+ 3......... it's the sensible thing to do. Overstreet doesn't consider staple replacement to be an issue as long as vintage staples are used, etc..... and it sounds like this book is for you, so as long as you're happy, and you will be.... it shouldn't matter. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

+ 3......... it's the sensible thing to do. Overstreet doesn't consider staple replacement to be an issue as long as vintage staples are used, etc..... and it sounds like this book is for you, so as long as you're happy, and you will be.... it shouldn't matter. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I think we've had this discussion a number of times and, of course, I can't clearly remember the outcome. But I'm pretty sure (but not certain) that at some point CGC stated definitively that replaced staples result in a PLOD, whether the staples used are vintage are not.

Of course, this assumes that the graders are able to detect the substitution.

Replaced staples are pretty readily detected, particularly when a book has rust migration of any kind. However, that's not the point here. The goal is to conserve the book, which in my opinion, overrides any label grade. :)

Exactly, and thanks DIVAD for the emphasis being said again. I really dont care WHAT CGC says about it, and the grade they give me. I am more concerned about any future damage and am focused on conservation and preventing further damage from the rusted staples. That being said, remember guys (and gals).....these are YOUR comics, and meant to be enjoyed by YOU, not CGC. You cant enjoy them if all you're worried about is the big bad CGC and what they're gonna say about it. They dont own them, and they are not in control of your comics. There will eventually come a time when you, and you alone, must decide how to handle situations like these. So dont be afraid of what CGC is going to do.

Well, you did say in your original post "I think also that it could increase a little bit the grade of the issue because of new staples." Which seems a tad inconsistent with "I really dont care WHAT CGC says about it, and the grade they give me." in your last post.

In any event, if the only thing you are concerned with is stopping further damage from the rusty staples, then replacing the staples seems the obvious course.

And, of course, you could always sell this copy and buy one that doesn't have this problem.

Well its not "inconsistent" of a statement, it was only an observation that I had. Ultimately, I want to preserve its health. But you're right, I could sell it later on, and then buy one that is in better shape. I plan to do that......."when I save up the money"! But right now I would like a CRACKED #1.

Well thanks for the advice of everyone above! I really appreciate it.....and happy collecting!!