• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alias 1 issue 1. Rough value??

62 posts in this topic

I'm not sure if the story and artwork is going to be boosted that much by the Nexflix TV series.

I know that the original art for "Wanted" by renowned writer Mark Millar and acclaimed artist JG Jones with the film starring Angelina Jolie behind it, didn't make remarkable leaps in value nor is currently treasured greatly.

It could be different since "Alias" is a Disney/Marvel property, but at the same time I wouldn't make it a rule to correlate licensing deals bringing characters to TV or Film as being instant treasure.

I think the values are low enough now 'tho where it's worth holding onto, not selling, and it can proably only increase from the time you bought it to even today's values, so it's safer if you're looking for a pay day to cash out, to wait at this point and see how the show plays out.

If I had to guess, I'd say speculatively other people would pay at least $300 (or more) per page for any page since it's a 1st Appearance issue of Jessica Jones, and doesn't have to be the 1st panel / page she's rendered it, just being from Alias #1 should have the speculators out willing to roll the dice.

Thank you very much for the response gives me something to think about. I am going to hold onto them and have around 8 pages from issue 2 as well.

I hope I do well on them and like you say 1st appearance of Jessica Jones has surely got to help. Well time will tell

Thanks again

Matt

Isn't ALIAS #1 (the comic book) sought after by collectors/speculators?

I know the two camps don't always overlap, but I do think there is a direct correlation between a popular book and the OA within.

i.e. if a CGC 9.8 is going for $300 then I'd expect an OA page from that issue to be at least that much. 2c

I would like to think that the art will most of the time with such a commercial character (now anyway) out price the comic easily. But like I say I am a complete novice :-)

You are correct, since a comic book has multiple printings and a far greater population, even those who treasure elusive CGC 10.0 or 9.8 or signature series should realize (of course it's also based on interest) that a 1 of 1, one of a kind collectible like original artwork is flat out more scarce than any high grade comic book can or ever will be. Unlike with published comic book art, a collector can afford to "pass" on buying a comic book if they see a flaw or the price is too high knowing that somewhere down the line there's the potential for a better deal. Whereas with original art, even if a page is damaged (so condition isn't as key), it's one of a kind, so "like it or don't like it, learn to love it, 'cuz it's the only game in town" whatever the price is or condition is, a buyer who wants it in theory can't have the attitude nor option of saying "I'll shop around for a better price or nicer condition"

But everything has it's ceilings. I think with Alias, the artist is probably considered mid-tier, not a superstar upper echelon name, but also one who is recognizable and has a fan base. The character is surging with potential, but is not established, so if the Netflix series goes down the tube, the prospects of popularity resurgence is then minimized.

With artwork, 'tho it's all one of a kind, it really depends on what's on the page if it's a splash page, cover, which characters are on it, the quality of rendering, etc.

If you have multiple pages, and want to test the waters, I'd advise giving it to ComicLink for auction, they handle auctions really well and you'll get true marketplace value versus people making you offers now or you potentially selling it either too low and having it snatched up or over valuing it with a high price tag and it getting ignored.

Sometimes, on speculation, it's good to sell now as many people may be anticipating the success of Alias and investing on that potential, so you can get more interest now (as with what happened with Scott Pilgrim, Watchmen and Wanted artwork before their films debuted and subsequently were not so well received and art prices dipped off their peaks)

Thanks for another fantastic response. You bring up some very good points. Like you say, condition would be preferred to be high spec but if you want it tough in any condition.

Also I agree that sometimes better to sell before something hits than risk if it will be a success etc. I do collect comics so know about this inner battle but art is completely new to me. I think netflix has done such a good job with dd and the jump in dd1 is clear that I will stick it out and hope that Jess Jones also does well.

I don't have too much invested into them so feel it is worth taking the gamble

Thanks for the reply

Matt

Isn't ALIAS #1 (the comic book) sought after by collectors/speculators?

I know the two camps don't always overlap, but I do think there is a direct correlation between a popular book and the OA within.

i.e. if a CGC 9.8 is going for $300 then I'd expect an OA page from that issue to be at least that much. 2c

I think that rule of thumb is almost always true for covers (cover OA > any copy of the book), but I think interiors can vary, especially in the era of decompressed storytelling where a lot of pages may not feature the main character(s) or have anything meaningful going on in terms of content. 2c

That FF #55 9.9 coming up for sale looks like it's going to fetch more than that page from the book that just sold at CLink (which had the Thing and the Surfer on it).

Looks like Alias #1 9.8 is more like a $200-$250 book anyway. :sumo:

Gaydos uses a lot of stats (photostats) and those pages look stat heavy-this seriously impacts value. I got a page for $85 that had 3 stats. If you look at them in the sunlight you can easily see what panels are stats.

run your finger lightly over the edge of the panel borders; anytime you feel a light bump that panel is a photostat. Each stat lowers the price. I would NOT auction these pages as a bad day will find you looking at very low numbers. Gaydos art is generally not very valuable as far as I know.