• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 10 board arguments that will never die....
1 1

154 posts in this topic

Just because there might be a definitive right or wrong answer, doesnt mean it will go away...

1. IH180 vs 181. Cameo vs 1st appearance

2. BB54 vs BB60. True first appearance of Teen Titans.

3. Can comics be sent via media mail?

4. When will Walking Dead bubble burst?

5. Should I get ___________ signed?

what else am I missing?

Comics cannot legally be sent via media mail if they contain paid advertising. Some people may do it, but it's illegal. Some independent comics or fanzines may not contain any paid advertisements; those books could be sent via media mail. That a simple matter of USPS regulations. (I used to work as a letter carrier.) I had no idea there was even a dispute about that topic; the regs are very clear.

Just because there might be a definitive right or wrong answer, doesnt mean it will go away...

what else am I missing?

Comics cannot legally be sent via media mail if they contain paid advertising. Some people may do it, but it's illegal. Some independent comics or fanzines may not contain any paid advertisements; those books could be sent via media mail. That a simple matter of USPS regulations. (I used to work as a letter carrier.) I had no idea there was even a dispute about that topic; the regs are very clear.

It's also illegal to use Priority Mail material for anything other than Priority Mail as people cut up boxes to use as cardboard protection and padded envelopes as protection in Media Mailed packages, but people do it anyway.

hm

The :takeit: in the thread verses the :takeit: in the PM verses the :takeit::takeit:

Dang, how is that one just now being brought up? That's a good one!

The OP should revise the list on page 1 with all of the good ones people come up with.

hm

The :takeit: in the thread verses the :takeit: in the PM verses the :takeit::takeit:

Dang, how is that one just now being brought up? That's a good one!

The OP should revise the list on page 1 with all of the good ones people come up with.

:gossip: Roman posted it on the first page:

"What constitutes a 'final sale' in a sales thread?"

what else am I missing?

Blowie's "Generated in 10+ seconds" vs greggy's under one second "Suck it"s.

what else am I missing?

The speed limit is 55 mph yet we break that law all the time too. Full stop at stop signs? While riding a bike?

what else am I missing?

Even if I hope it goes away, questioning whether an ad, a magazine article or so, should be considered a "first apperance"… :P

what else am I missing?

Please point to the DMM (that's Domestic Mail Manual, which are the legal regulations by which the USPS abides) that says this.

Here is what it DOES say:

"Books, including books issued to supplement other books, of at least eight printed pages, consisting wholly of reading matter or scholarly bibliography, or reading matter with incidental blank spaces for notations and containing no advertising matter other than incidental announcements of books. Advertising includes paid advertising and the publishers' own advertising in display, classified, or editorial style. " DMM 173.4.1

Since a comic book from 1959 contains NO advertising of any kind, it can be shipped Media Mail.

"What?? RMA, are you nuts? What the hell are all those ADS for the Hypno-Coin, and the giant inflatable dinosaur, and the giant plastic flying jet???"

Those aren't ads. They are REFERENCE MATERIAL. Why? Because they are no longer valid; most of the companies that produced them no longer exist. Since they are no longer valid, they are not ADVERTISING ANYTHING, and thus....no longer ads.

Just like anything else that expires, they can no longer be used for their intended purpose, and thus...aren't ads. It WAS advertising...but it is no longer. It served its function for its time and now no longer does, or even can, serve in that capacity.

Since, then, they are REFERENCE MATERIAL, they fall under the "wholly of reading matter" requirement, and thus comics with EXPIRED ADS CAN be shipped Media Mail.

The "clarification" on the USPS website means nothing, and is only someone's opinion UNTIL and IF it gets OFFICIALLY codified in the DMM.

If it's NOT in the DMM...it doesn't exist, as far as the USPS is concerned.