• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FanExpo Canada, Sept 1-4, 2016

560 posts in this topic

Happy to report that I have been offered and accepted a position with the show again, as the coordinator of the comics section for this and some other events the company puts on, and assisting the teams in Dallas and Orlando for some events.

I left in 2012 to focus on my retail shop, but since I scaled that back in the spring when our lease ended I have the time to work on shows. The Comic Book Lounge will continue as a preorder based pickup / delivery service and will sell inventory at local events.

I'm excited to be able to work with the teams to help ensure comics are a vital part of these events and to look out for the interests of creators and fans alike.

Can we get a push to get some of those American dealers to come to this one? We only have two, and this time they didn't have much inventory. We would get a lot more credibility as a show if we could see those Action/Superman/Batman 1s on display at a show like they do State-side.

Okay, so I'll be seeing some NY dealers next week at NYCC but to be honest, it's not easy getting American vendors into Canada as it used to be.

I give long-winded answers by the way, but I will try to be as clear as I think I can be on why.

I imagine right now the low Canadian dollar will be attractive for travel-related expenses and booth costs, but getting the inventory across the border, using a brokerage firm and paying those fees and costs (which can add an extra couple of grand to the cost of exhibiting), having full valued inventory lists on hand in case the customs officer decides to request them, and finally keeping track of sales for the Canadian tax man can all be negatives for a US dealer coming into Canada (as much as they are for a Canadian dealer going into the USA). Lots of headaches without the definite of financial reward.

A low Canadian dollar also means US prices will be higher than ever, so the incentive to show an Action Comics 1 isn't going to be there unless there are people looking to buy an Action Comics 1 so why would a dealer take that risk of transporting a must-be-insured item across the border? Traditionally you just don't see walk up sales of books valued in the tens or thousands of dollars anywhere. Now if you have money to spend and want to see your favourite US dealer come to Toronto, now is the time for you to tell him or her how much money you are willing to drop and hopefully that will give them pause and actually consider making the trip.

So we're left with our great Canadian vintage dealers to shoulder the weight of bringing cool books in their inventories to display in the hope of sales.

Of course, there are exceptions who prove it is possible for American dealers to come up: such as Harley Yee, Rupp's Comics, and Hot Flips.

Can we get a push to get some of those American dealers to come to this one? We only have two, and this time they didn't have much inventory. We would get a lot more credibility as a show if we could see those Action/Superman/Batman 1s on display at a show like they do State-side.

Considering Baltimore is on the same weekend next year ( :cry: ) I'd say the chances of any fresh US dealers showing up is going to be next to impossible.

Harley Yee

Since Harley takes up half an aisle with his inventory and he is in the habit of not being in Baltimore, I'd expect Harley to be in Fan Expo in full force next year with a 'B list' set up in Baltimore as he does most years.

Yes, and thanks to the US election later in the year there will be some other shows scheduled on the same weekend that usually take place later in the season.

I suspect we won't be able to grow the vintage sector potentially until 2017, unless more Canadian vendors are interested in signing on.

Now if the desire is there to just see great books and not buy them, then mabe some industrious individual or organization would like to put together a Geppi-museum worthy exhibit that displays vintage comics and artwork from private collections.

I'd love to see something on Canadian comics alone, but an Action 1 kind of fits there as well given Joe's ties.

It sure would be great if the AGO, for example, wanted to do such a thing, as it would be one of the few places that could insure items from private collections and could be a great compliment to Fan Expo and something else for people to see while they are in town.

I know a lot of original art dealers who would be interested in participating but logistically it would be a big undertaking.

Toronto is a city id love to visit and call it a business trip by hitting a Con. In terms of amount of books to buy - is this the con to attend?

Toronto doesn't have an equivalent to shows like Baltimore or Charlotte.

There are always comics to buy, and there are some good local dealers like our own Andygreenham and Walt / Big B Comics as well as Harley and some of the smaller dealers, but after that selection thins out pretty quick for deep vintage inventory unless there is a new collection to be showcased or a US dealer shows up.

Most of the Toronto stores like Silver Snail and 1,000,000 Comix have converted to carrying toys and similar stuff.

It's a fun city to visit and the con is right in the heart of it all, making it an entertaining spot (you're literally under the CN Town and a 5-10 minute walk from lots worth seeing but it may not be worth a trip if you're looking to pay expenses by loading up on fresh inventory.

So we have two large events per year - Fan Expo (the largest) and Toronto Comicon (in March) which is smaller, more like how Fan Expo was a decade ago.

We also have a show at the end of the year, a one day event.

Toronto ComiCON is a little smaller, more relaxed. The guest list will be more widely focused and have some more creators that will be of interest to a vintage collector. It's more akin to a good regional show like Philadelphia.

Roy is right about selection and inventory of vintage books in the area and at the shows.

Fan Expo is the showcase event, it is very celebrity driven but also aims to have some of the biggest and best creators in modern comics as guests. More like a San Diego comic-con.

At least two of the shows feature most of the leaders in vintage comics sales in Ontario and Quebec. Big B, Forest City Coins, Comic Book Addiction being some of them, as well as Harley Yee.

Locally there are also some low cost one day shows put on by another promoter that offer a wide selection of back issues from Toronto area vendors. I sell inventory at these shows myself.

Toronto is also the number one destination city for tourists from Ohio and Pennsylvania. Lots to see and do here.

Toronto is a city id love to visit and call it a business trip by hitting a Con. In terms of amount of books to buy - is this the con to attend?

I would say it is just by the incredible number of people who attend. If you sell in the $1-20 range, and have some popular affordable $20-100 books on the wall, I can't see how you can go wrong. Maybe it's best to try a small dealer footprint at first. I would think the tables are more expensive at this con than others.

I buy high grade back issues. I don't know how many of us that are left.

I would also like to add that both the Toronto ComiCON and Fan Expo Canada have large numbers of local pro guests, and large and varied product in the artist alley ranging from indie creators to craft merchants. There's a lot there beyond comics themselves.

And yes, most local stores have had to diversify their product lines, most carry toys and novelty items which are also sold at these events in large numbers.

I forgot about Comic Book Addiction. They're pretty good too.

Kev is right, Fan Expo is a good show for meeting talent. Artist's Alley is pretty big and they get some good names in.

I would say it is just by the incredible number of people who attend. If you sell in the $1-20 range, and have some popular affordable $20-100 books on the wall, I can't see how you can go wrong. Maybe it's best to try a small dealer footprint at first. I would think the tables are more expensive at this con than others.

I buy high grade back issues. I don't know how many of us that are left.

I'm definitely not up for selling at the show (sounds like a ton of work to get the books back and forth across the border) but I may try to plan a trip in conjunction with checking out the Con. I've been to Niagara Falls 8 times but never made it up to Toronto. About time I check out the City a ton of my friends have loved visiting.

I would also like to add that both the Toronto ComiCON and Fan Expo Canada have large numbers of local pro guests, and large and varied product in the artist alley ranging from indie creators to craft merchants. There's a lot there beyond comics themselves.

And yes, most local stores have had to diversify their product lines, most carry toys and novelty items which are also sold at these events in large numbers.

Congrats and welcome back! Can you work on bringing over some of the big names that only do American shows (Jim Lee, Scott Snyder, Frank Miller, Tim Sale, Romita Jr. and some of the older comic creators, Shooter, Starlin, Buscema, Fandon). I would love for us to be on par with shows like in NY and SD. As well, increasing the width in the aisles to accommodate for all the gawkers, would help with traffic flow.

Happy to report that I have been offered and accepted a position with the show again, as the coordinator of the comics section for this and some other events the company puts on, and assisting the teams in Dallas and Orlando for some events.

I left in 2012 to focus on my retail shop, but since I scaled that back in the spring when our lease ended I have the time to work on shows. The Comic Book Lounge will continue as a preorder based pickup / delivery service and will sell inventory at local events.

I'm excited to be able to work with the teams to help ensure comics are a vital part of these events and to look out for the interests of creators and fans alike.

Terrific news, Kevin! :applause:

Congrats and welcome back! Can you work on bringing over some of the big names that only do American shows (Jim Lee, Scott Snyder, Frank Miller, Tim Sale, Romita Jr. and some of the older comic creators, Shooter, Starlin, Buscema, Fandon). I would love for us to be on par with shows like in NY and SD. As well, increasing the width in the aisles to accommodate for all the gawkers, would help with traffic flow.

Fandon? Fradon?

I will do what I can - but some logistical things like aisle widths will be more difficult to change or improve. I'm also an adviser for guests, I will book some but not all, but most of those names are definitely of interest, some unlikely because they have retired from doing shows, and most if not all have been to Canada at one point or another.