• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FanExpo Canada, Sept 1-4, 2016

560 posts in this topic

Sales for me were best on Thursday and Sunday. Friday and Saturday were nearly identical and "okay".

Overall, another fun show that was worthwhile doing.

The highlights for me were meeting John Tyler Christopher and his wife, Jen. Also a great dinner with the above and a total group size of 14. That was a fun night.

Many thanks to my buddies who graciously helped me run my booth. Without them, it would have been next to impossible.

Looking forward to next year.

Sales for me were best on Thursday and Sunday. Friday and Saturday were nearly identical and "okay".

Overall, another fun show that was worthwhile doing.

The highlights for me were meeting John Tyler Christopher and his wife, Jen. Also a great dinner with the above and a total group size of 14. That was a fun night.

Many thanks to my buddies who graciously helped me run my booth. Without them, it would have been next to impossible.

Looking forward to next year.

Was great hanging with Andy on and off all weekend, and a huge thanks to him for buying dinner for the whole lot of us. What a guy. :applause: Really made the show!

My non picture con report from the beginning.

My first year setting up at FEC but I've done other big shows like TCC in March, Niagara etc so this stuff wasn't new to me. Prior to the show I purchased a 3rd dealer pass when I booked my spot. It wasn't ready when I got there so I spent 1.5hrs running around and waiting in different lines to get it while my other crew snuck in and set up doh! Found my booth and quickly realized this was going to stink. All of the comic dealers were a few aisles over and I was surrounded by what I shall call "trinkets" (swords, teddy bears, funkos). It was my first year and I was notified I was allowed to set up with only 3 weeks before the show so I very likely was a cancellation fill in (shrug) . It didn't take long once the show opened to realize most of my time would be spent talking to the few people who could find us (we had 2 guys on Sunday ask if we've been set up all weekend cause it was the first time they saw us lol ). I absolutely love doing the cons and interacting with everyone. We met up with a number of boardies (Alex x2, Andy, Dan, Tony, Jim, Drew, Liam, Tim) and many more which is the best part of these cons. Saturday and Sunday were my best days for sales with Sunday probably being the best overall. There were tons of events going on (which I couldn't attend but I did manage to get some swag). One of the coolest things was the paint wall Jim decided to put "Guardian Comics" up on the wall so we added our little flavour below his. EB Games threw out plushies and hats every few hours and so one of my gang went over and managed to snag a pinkie ghost from Pacman...I really wanted the Pacman hats but no luck, instead Albert managed to snag me a "Pokemon Power" aka Inky plushie. I got a few books signed by Miller via Drew (worship) . I also had a great dinner event with Andy, Dano, Liam, Tim and more.

Our sales were low due to our location but we did have some notable sales which included:

AF15

Avengers 1

Showcase 22

Hulk 181

NM98 x2

FF48

Saga 1

IF14

This didn't deter me to do next year as I filled out the form for next year and requested to move of course. So now I play the waiting game.

Comic Book Lounge booth:

- I sold 2/3 of the Trudeau variant covers I ordered for the show.

- Hardcovers and trades sold better than last year, filing everything alphabetically instead of alpha by publishers helped a lot.

- I found statues did ok, not great, less than last year.

- Pops! did okay, but there were a lot of dealers. I went focused on lines I had faith in and was somewhat rewarded.

- The He-Man and She-Ra Animated Series Episode Guide book was a big hit, we sold out first day.

- Frank Miller trades - DD, Batman, even Ronin did well for us

Doing the money counts I would say sales on Thursday - up, Friday - about the same, Saturday - up (but still down from 2 years ago), Sunday - up. I've reserved my two spot for next year, I'm rethinking what I'm going to focus on.

Picked up;

American Vampire #1 Jim Lee Variant

Animosity #1 Variant

Rick & Morty #1 Variant

All-Star Batman #1 Fanexpo Variant

Batman Adventures #12 Regular & Foil Set

A few T-Shirts for My Youngster.

That's about it and made sure to make My rounds to continue contacts with various companies and store owners.

Another well done job Kevin.

Fan expo was pretty damn good this year dispite some major hiccups with staff who didn't know things and the now infamous Harley Quinn foil variant. I'd still like some confirmation on the print run of that book.

I got to meet a few boardies which was nice, captaincanuck was super nice and was cool chatting with him in the frank Miller vip line. Looks like he scored some nice stuff.

Kevin, it was a pleasure meeting you and thank you again for all your hard work and putting up with a pain in the like me haha I'd still love some answers to those questions I had for you in person. Top notch job tho sir!

I'd love some opinions on Gotham central if anyone has any. I subbed some books thru them, unfortunately my commission from dawn McTeigue ran late and I had to give it to Carlos after the show had closed. My paperwork had been packed away but Carlos said he would finish it for me. I'm still feeling a little nervous as I've never dealt with Carlos and crew before and I worry about the details of the paperwork.

All in all it was a great year, meeting Mark hamill was a childhood dream come true, also got to hang out with Kevin smith and mewes for a bit which was really funny.

On the dealers side, I had a hard time getting anything I wanted.... I know some of you are dealers here but I'm not sure how or why you were charging so far and above gpa for so many books. 1000$ for a BA12 cgc 8.5? Really guys? Any time I tried to talk to them and work out a deal I was met with that's the price, take it or go. I'm not sure if some of you were just there to show off your collections or actually sell books.

Zenescope, Aspen and Campbell stores were all in fine form and I scored tonnes of exclusives from them along with the Harley foil covers. I'll make a sales thread soon for those wanting some.

Great experience this year for the most part. Seemed attendance was up from last year but still down from 2 years ago. Hopefully Mike can bring cgc down next year and make things easier on us all!!

Looking forward to fan expo 2017!

On the dealers side, I had a hard time getting anything I wanted.... I know some of you are dealers here but I'm not sure how or why you were charging so far and above gpa for so many books. 1000$ for a BA12 cgc 8.5? Really guys? Any time I tried to talk to them and work out a deal I was met with that's the price, take it or go. I'm not sure if some of you were just there to show off your collections or actually sell books.

Ugh! I hate hearing this! doh!

I'm not sure if you stopped by my booth, but you would have been treated like royalty if you did. I wish you introduced yourself, as I love meeting boardies. Plus, boardies get better deals.

I had 4 BA 12s on my wall. 8.5, 9.0, 9.2, 9.6

If you saw the 8.5, it was priced at $700. I would have offered you a better price if you asked me.

If you asked me for a deal on any single item in my booth, you would have received a discount.

Next time, say hi, introduce yourself, and get yourself a good deal on whatever you're looking for. (thumbs u

Andy

Ugh! I hate hearing this! doh!

I'm not sure if you stopped by my booth, but you would have been treated like royalty if you did. I wish you introduced yourself, as I love meeting boardies. Plus, boardies get better deals.

I had 4 BA 12s on my wall. 8.5, 9.0, 9.2, 9.6

If you saw the 8.5, it was priced at $700. I would have offered you a better price if you asked me.

If you asked me for a deal on any single item in my booth, you would have received a discount.

Next time, say hi, introduce yourself, and get yourself a good deal on whatever you're looking for. (thumbs u

Andy

I wasn't as cool as Andy but did have a BA12 in 9.8. It was priced at $2500. I think I can slightly speak for Andy but unfortunately there are tons of dealers out there asking for silly prices. Find the good ones (Forest City always has the best prices, books, and overall selection). My goal is one day to surpass him but until then I keep trying.

Pep talks totally works and freaking hilarious. I still have to find your secret for load out :baiting:

Fan expo was pretty damn good this year dispite some major hiccups with staff who didn't know things and the now infamous Harley Quinn foil variant. I'd still like some confirmation on the print run of that book.

I got to meet a few boardies which was nice, captaincanuck was super nice and was cool chatting with him in the frank Miller vip line. Looks like he scored some nice stuff.

Kevin, it was a pleasure meeting you and thank you again for all your hard work and putting up with a pain in the like me haha I'd still love some answers to those questions I had for you in person. Top notch job tho sir!

I'd love some opinions on Gotham central if anyone has any. I subbed some books thru them, unfortunately my commission from dawn McTeigue ran late and I had to give it to Carlos after the show had closed. My paperwork had been packed away but Carlos said he would finish it for me. I'm still feeling a little nervous as I've never dealt with Carlos and crew before and I worry about the details of the paperwork.

All in all it was a great year, meeting Mark hamill was a childhood dream come true, also got to hang out with Kevin smith and mewes for a bit which was really funny.

Zenescope, Aspen and Campbell stores were all in fine form and I scored tonnes of exclusives from them along with the Harley foil covers. I'll make a sales thread soon for those wanting some.

Great experience this year for the most part. Seemed attendance was up from last year but still down from 2 years ago. Hopefully Mike can bring cgc down next year and make things easier on us all!!

Looking forward to fan expo 2017!

I'm sure Carlos treated your book like royalty. Really nothing to be worried about on that.