• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

San Francisco Comic Con - September 2-4, 2016! Zeck, Jusko, Portacio!

169 posts in this topic

I was happy to support your con and bought two three-day passes although honestly, I probably spent two hours total at the convention. (And one of them was for the Jim Shooter panel which I happened to walk by as it was about to start...) (thumbs u

(I gave my badges to a coworker for Friday/Sat afternoon/Sunday who also goes to San Diego with his family.)

It was packed on Saturday although I could see that you had a bit of room to expand at the edges of the Main Hall in terms of booths/autograph areas. (thumbs u

The layout of the hotel was a bit confusing though.

Good luck on your future conventions! :applause:

Even though we gave our booth space away for almost nothing, lots of dealers simply didn't want to pay the labor union drayage fees in order to participate.

Can you elaborate on this point a bit? Was there a loading/unloading fee that had to be paid to a union or something like that?

As Show Manager Emeritus for this event I had concerns about the venue and logistics. Heck, everything ran great! Sure you have some bumps here and there but I thought overall it was one of the smoothest shows ever! Seemed like all had a great time! Vendors, attendees & the general public all seemed pleased. The staff from top to bottom as aces all around!

I got great reviews from the panels I moderated and I enjoyed it greatly! Many thanks to TupennyConan & KingofRulers for the chance to be involved! Looking forward to next year already!

I was happy to support your con

Thanks.

We here in the USA like number 1's. We always want to know the scoreboard. Surely we invented the superlative as conversation filler. Forget psychology & sociology & the zeitgeist. Numbers control our reality; that wisdom of ancient Greece is ineluctable.

SF is the #1 most expensive urban destination in the New World. We could've done just as well on the expense side with a show in Paris or Hong Kong.

Thanks.

We here in the USA like number 1's. We always want to know the scoreboard. Surely we invented the superlative as conversation filler. Forget psychology & sociology & the zeitgeist. Numbers control our reality; that wisdom of ancient Greece is ineluctable.

SF is the #1 most expensive urban destination in the New World. We could've done just as well on the expense side with a show in Paris or Hong Kong.

wondercon was soooooooouuuuuuper popular and beloved, and yet their people ultimately decided it was more 'worth it' to move it to southern California, which ain't cheap either, compared with most other parts of the country. That should tell people how difficult and expensive it is to pull off something like this in SF. If it worked out well enough, then kudos to you.

That's lunacy. I can see how that would be a real deterrent to exhibitors.

True.

However, that was yesterday.

As we Crackers remind ourselves down here in the Florida swamps, tomorrow is another day & that day has now come and gone.

On to SFCC 2017!

Thanks.

wondercon was soooooooouuuuuuper popular and beloved, and yet their people ultimately decided it was more 'worth it' to move it to southern California, which ain't cheap either, compared with most other parts of the country. That should tell people how difficult and expensive it is to pull off something like this in SF. If it worked out well enough, then kudos to you.

We are very good.

We all understand this is KOR & Tupenny.

Does anybody know which dealers will be selling books here??

Terry's Comics will be there.

http://www.terryscomics.com/Catalog_2016/page_02.pdf

Baltimore Comic Con takes place the same weekend.

As far as I am concerned, once Terry shook my hand on Thursday [which came with some notable business advice] & then again on Sunday load-out, I had succeeded by any measure the CGC Boards could require of me.

As always with deepest heartfelt love and devotion,

The Mighty Tupenny Conan

Wonder-con only left cause the moscone center went under construction 1 year and they never came back :rulez:

I agree that they only left because they never came back.

Thanks.

Thankfully it has worked out well thus far! :D

While I'm not 100% sure, our belief is that Wondercon left not because southern California was more "worth it", but because SF is simply a very difficult place to do business. It's no coincidence that nowadays every major city in the US has a large comic convention (with some cities having two or three), but SF had none. Even most mid-sized cities have a comic convention. SF is one of the largest markets in the entire country and a sparkling vacation destination.

It's our belief that Wondercon was squeezed out because of the extremely high hotel room requirements needed in order for the convention center to consider offering exhibit space. SF has the highest hotel room requirements in the US (even more than NYC, but far more than LA and certainly Anaheim). Add the lofty hotel room requirements to the other obstacles such as: oppressive labor unions, extremely high minimum wage, high sales tax, high "other" taxes etc, and you've got all the ingredients necessary to chase business far away. We're cowboys though; we don't run from a fight. cowboy.gif

I think you would do great to have the show every 6 month :popcorn:

Hmm, a kind of "double the freshness, double the fun" mentality. I like it. hm

I dont care abought Wonder-con anymore. I do care abought your show i would bet if you had it every 6 month it would outgrow itself each year (thumbs u I will support you and it it will only get better with a lot of Dealers. Great show. :popcorn: