• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Label Update request
1 1

39 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, If It's Key It's For Me said:

How do you know they weren't dealt with? I bet CGC looked at those and felt that most of them were ridiculous fanboy requests that should be ignored.

Because I checked the census and they weren't 

4 hours ago, If It's Key It's For Me said:

doh! I'm saying CGC dealt with these requests by considering them, decided they were dumb requests, and ignored them all.

Most of the requests before the Mod reply were dealt with ~ After the reply almost virtually zero (if not zero) doh!

Edited by Bart Allen

On 2/3/2019 at 1:36 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

How do you guys expect CGC to get any work done, like actually grading comics, with your endless stream of requests ? It's been over 3 years since they've addressed this thread. I wouldn't expect much. Sorry, just calling it as I see it.  

Isn't the notation on the label part of what people are paying for? I believe it is.

28 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Isn't the notation on the label part of what people are paying for? I believe it is.

I believe certain notations on the label are indeed part of the service but I doubt they feel any obligation to even attempt to keep up with all the crazy requests coming from this thread. I highly doubt they find time to read and keep up on all the new material. 

8 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I believe certain notations on the label are indeed part of the service but I doubt they feel any obligation to even attempt to keep up with all the crazy requests coming from this thread. I highly doubt they find time to read and keep up on all the new material. 

I don't think they did in the past. There are enough labels that are wrong to prove that. But they have set a precedence, and let's face it, a business in graded Modern's around what the label says. When do you decide what's important and what's not? Say a character gets hot in 5 years and then they start labeling it. There will be 5 years of books that don't have it on the label.

Look at the amount of information on a Golden Age book. There is not near the same amount with Modern's. They label "Joker Cover"s. Yes, I can see Joker is on the cover of the book I'm holding, ha.

Edited by ygogolak

2 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I don't think they did in the past. There are enough labels that are wrong to prove that. But they have set a precedence, and let's face it, a business in graded Modern's around what the label says. When do you decide what's important and what's not. Say a character gets hot in 5 years and then they start labeling it. There will be 5 years of books that don't have it on the label.

Look at the amount of information on a Golden Age book. There is not near the same amount with Modern's. They label "Joker Cover"s. Yes, I can see Joker is on the cover of the book I'm holding, ha.

I agree with everthing you said here. Even if CGC had someone who stayed on top of the content, they would probably not be able to keep up and get it on on the label in a timely manner. When CGC started, hardly anyone submitted Moderns, and this was not a problem. So what's the answer, what's the solution  ? I think maybe CGC has simply given up. If they get enough requests or a character gets hot, they will adjust the label. But to try and oblige every request listed here, I think not. (shrug) 

On 2/6/2019 at 5:10 PM, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree with everthing you said here. Even if CGC had someone who stayed on top of the content, they would probably not be able to keep up and get it on on the label in a timely manner. When CGC started, hardly anyone submitted Moderns, and this was not a problem. So what's the answer, what's the solution  ? I think maybe CGC has simply given up. If they get enough requests or a character gets hot, they will adjust the label. But to try and oblige every request listed here, I think not. (shrug) 

Give me access to the label database...I'll clean it up

What elements decide whether or not a character's first appearance is noted on a label?  For example, Jinny Hex currently appears in Young Justice (2019).  She originally appeared in Batman Giant #4 (2018), but this isn't currently indicated on the CGC label for that comic.  In contrast, the first appearance of Laura Kinney's fellow clones (Gabby, Bellona & Zelda Kinney) is listed on the label for All-New Wolverine #2 (2016).  Thank you!

On 1/29/2019 at 11:33 PM, Bree said:

I've sent this to the graders as well 

Bree, can you acknowledge as to whether these'll be changed?

Briggs Land #1 (correction to original submission)

1st appearance of Grace, Abbie, Jim and Caleb Briggs (I believe this might be the correct submission, as with the others on the list).

Captain Marvel Adventures #26:

1st full appearance of Mr. Mind, revealed to be a tiny, alien worm. Chap. 5 Monster Society of Evil serial. Captain Marvel visits Seatle WA.

Captain Marvel Adventures #22 states: "1st appearance (voice) of Mr. Mind, but this should be a cameo as he doesn't appear, while acknowledging #26 has his first full appearance.

JLA #26:

1st full appearance of Jakeem Thunder.

Marvelman #31

7th appearance of Marvelman and 1st James Bleach Marvelman

Issue Date: 3/54; Year: 1954; Publisher: L. Miller & Son Ltd; Country: United Kingdom; Art Comments: Mick Anglo story, art and cover, James Bleach art.

Young Marvelman #57

Origin and 1st appearance of Young Nastyman

Issue Date: 9/54; Year: 1954; Publisher: L. Miller & Son Ltd; Country: United Kingdom; Art Comments: Mick Anglo story, George Parlett art and cover.

There's hardly anything in the database on the key comics of Miracleman (later Marvelman) which I may submit in the future, if that's ok with you, Bree?

With regards to my previous questions/posts, I received the following reply from a CGC representative via email:

First appearance label notations are made at the discretion of the CGC Grading Team. You can find this information by visiting the CGC Census which will include the Key Comments, Art Comments, and First Appearance notations.

If you would like to request a first appearance update or inclusion to the current label, please include a note along with the book in your submission (post-it on comic bag).

On 5/27/2019 at 6:42 PM, Tactical Babysitter said:

With regards to my previous questions/posts, I received the following reply from a CGC representative via email:

First appearance label notations are made at the discretion of the CGC Grading Team. You can find this information by visiting the CGC Census which will include the Key Comments, Art Comments, and First Appearance notations.

If you would like to request a first appearance update or inclusion to the current label, please include a note along with the book in your submission (post-it on comic bag).

I've heard of some requests being denied on this front, even with the note.

@Bart Allen:  Hopefully those denials aren't some Rock & Roll Hall of Fame favoritism sort of wildly_fanciful_statement (which is why I initially inquired about the elements of their decision process for granting recognition).  For example, I was surprised that the label for Darkness #15 doesn't list the first appearance of Magdalena, considering she's had four volumes worth of her own comics.