• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Label Update request
1 1

39 posts in this topic

I'd like to request a label update for Marvel Super Action #1 (dated 1/1976) , based on the information below....thanks!

CGC labeling incorrectly indicates that Marvel Premiere # 38 10/1977) is the 1st appearance of Weird World:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Premiere-1972-38-CGC-9-6-1342607025-/361379624419?hash=item5423e775e3

The first appearance of Weird World should be listed by CGC as Marvel Super Action #1 (1/1976) , as this contains the first Weird World appearance:

Reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weirdworld#Publication_history

CGC's current labeling of Marvel Super Action #1 is linked below, unless it has been updated since this particular magazine was encapsulated, which I do not think is the case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Marvel-Super-Action-1-CGC-9-4-1976-Magazine-Early-Punisher-Cover-E1-121-cm-/351410060476?hash=item51d1abfcbc

After doing some research and discussion between the comic book and magazine departments, we decided that this does warrant an update on our labels.

The label for Marvel Super Action #1 will be changed to indicate that it is the first Weirdworld, and Marvel Premiere #38 will be changed to specify that it is the first appearance of Weirdworld in comics.

Currently Frankenstein comics does not have any description. A board member recommended, "Classic Cover. Killer Briefer horror begins."

Overstreet notes in the most recent guide #45, "New origin, horror series begins."

Maybe you can find a way to incorporate both into a new label? I think the importance of the change from a humor to horror format is noteworthy in general, but especially to this title. Please let me know if you agree. Thanks in advance!!

Example:

Frankenstein18CGC60_zps7f741853.jpg

Hi. Can I please request label updates for the following:

G.L.A. #1 (06/2005) - 2nd appearance of Squirrel Girl; "Death" of Dinah Soar

G.L.A. #2 (07/2005) - "Death" of Grasshopper

G.L.A. #3 (08/2005) - "Death of Monkey Joe"

G.L.A. #4 (09/2005) - 1st appearance of Tippy Toe; "Death" of Doorman

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1 (03/2015) - 1st appearance of Nancy Whitehead

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #6 (08/2015) - 1st appearance of Chipmunk Hunk and Koi Boi

West Coast Avengers #46 (07/1989) - 1st appearance of the Great Lakes Avengers

Thanks!

Currently Frankenstein comics does not have any description. A board member recommended, "Classic Cover. Killer Briefer horror begins."

Overstreet notes in the most recent guide #45, "New origin, horror series begins."

Maybe you can find a way to incorporate both into a new label? I think the importance of the change from a humor to horror format is noteworthy in general, but especially to this title. Please let me know if you agree. Thanks in advance!!

Example:

Frankenstein18CGC60_zps7f741853.jpg

Agreed on this one.

11 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Nope :( I would read through the other one though as Mod's in the past have posted on it

I've passed the information on to the graders and will let you know if the ASM 800 gets updated. 

3 hours ago, Bree said:

I've passed the information on to the graders and will let you know if the ASM 800 gets updated. 

Thanks, Bree, but I was also referring the other thread, (as the last post from a CGC Moderator on that page was from February 2015) as some of the information I don't think has been updated or there's been no commentary as to why it hasn't:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/298163-label-updates/

JLA #26:

1st full appearance of Jakeem Thunder

Captain Marvel Adventures #26:

1st full appearance of Mr. Mind, revealed to be a tiny, alien worm

Legion of Super-Heroes #298

1st appearance of Amethyst, Dark Opal, Granch, and Carnelian

Justice League Dark #1

1st appearance of Justice League Dark

Saban's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #1

1st full appearance of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers in a traditional comic book

Briggs Land #1

1st appearance of Abbie Briggs

Edited by Bart Allen

21 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Thanks, Bree, but I was also referring the other thread, (as the last post from a CGC Moderator on that page was from February 2015) as some of the information I don't think has been updated or there's been no commentary as to why it hasn't:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/298163-label-updates/

JLA #26:

1st full appearance of Jakeem Thunder

Captain Marvel Adventures #26:

1st full appearance of Mr. Mind, revealed to be a tiny, alien worm

Legion of Super-Heroes #298

1st appearance of Amethyst, Dark Opal, Granch, and Carnelian

Justice League Dark #1

1st appearance of Justice League Dark

Saban's Mighty Morphin Power Rangers #1

1st full appearance of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers in a traditional comic book

Briggs Land #1

1st appearance of Abbie Briggs 

I've sent this to the graders as well 

On 1/29/2019 at 6:33 PM, Bree said:

Here's a new one that always boggled my mind.  1st Red Hulk.  Currently the v2008 #1 Hulk is credited with his first appearance, but if you read the actual book he is nowhere in there.  He appears on the cover but not in the story.
 https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Hulk-2008/Issue-1?id=2210
HE DOES appear in the next issue, #2, but for years people have had this wrong probably to justify the higher price of issue #1?  

1st Red She-Hulk is a little less confusing, but I don't know how you have it listed on either label yet, if at all.
Book #15 from the same series is the 1st cameo appearance (last page) and Book #16 is the 1st full appearance.

Edited by 90sChild

On 1/29/2019 at 11:33 PM, Bree said:

Thanks, Bree, but from the other thread I've compiled a list from suggestions from other users dating from 2015~

Marvel Now! Point One #1 1st appearance of the new Nova (Sam Alexander) (the census states it came out in 12/12 when it came out in November 11)

Thor #447 Adding "Last Jack Kirby Thor" to the label of this issue, similar to Strange Tales #146 where you have "Last Steve Ditko Dr. Strange".

Star Wars #1 First appearances of Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, and Princess Leia Organ  in comics

Star Wars #2 First appearance of Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Jabba the Hutt in comics

Star Wars #5 First appearance of Wedge Antilles in comics

Star Wars #6 First appearance of Mon Mothma in comics

Uncanny X-Men #96 (Update) Dave Cockrum did the interior pages. The cover art is signed solely by Sal Buscema near the bottom of the art between Cyclops legs. His signature is slanted upwards at an angle.

Hawkeye vs Deadpool #0 (Update) A three page cameo of both "Spider-Gwen" and "Lady Thor that pre-dates both of their official "first appearances".

Wytches #4 (Update) Jock is credited for "cover & art" on the label for "Wytches #4 Eh! Variant Cover", however, the cover is clearly signed by Garry Brown.

Shadowman 16 (AUG/93) 1st appearance of Dr. Mirage (Hwen Fong and Carmen Mirage)

Divinity #1 (FEB/14) 1st appearance of Divinity (Abram Adams)

Ninjak #1 (MAR/15) 1st appearance of Roku

Imperium #1 (FEB/151st appearance of Lord Vine 99 and Mech Major (Sunlight on Snow)

Imperium #2 (MAR/15)  1st appearance of Gravedog

Invincible #127 1st cameo appearance of Ursaal and Onnan

Invincible #128 First full appearance Ursaal

All Picture Adventure #1 Matt Baker-cover and art by Matt Baker

Fightin Marines #10 Matt Baker-cover/art and interior Canteen Kate-story

Action Comics #1000 1st appearance of Rogol Zaar

Runaways #13 (05/04) 1st Appearance of the Gibborim 

Runaways #17 (10/04) "Death" of Alex Wilder

Runaways #1 (04/05) 1st Appearance of Victor Mancha

Runaways #5 (08/05) Ultron revealed as the father of Victor Mancha

Runaways #7 (10/05) 1st Appearance of Xavin

Runaways #27 (08/07) 1st Appearance of Klara Prast

Runaways #11 (08/09) "Death" of Old Lace; 1st Appearance of Hunter Stein

Stormwatch v2 #4 1st appearance of Midnighter and Apollo

Dark Nights Metal #1 1st of the robins + Lady Blackhawk (Identity revealed)

Midget Comics #1 Fighting Indian Stories- Matt Baker-cover

Captain Easy #12 Roy Crane-artCharacters: Captain Easy; Wash Tubbs (Washington Tubbs)

Unusual Tales #19 Matt Baker-cover and artPencils: Matt Baker- Inks: Vince Colletta -Letters: typeset; Jon D'Agostino. Cover is taken from the splash to "The Blotting Threat"

Hellboy: Seed of Destruction #2 - Origin and 1st full appearance of Abe Sapien

Guardians of the Galaxy Annual #1 (1991) - 1st appearance of Krugarr

Ninja High School #37 - 1st appearance of Father Sebastian Crowe (Magic Priest)

Ninja High School #38 - 1st appearance of Lillith the Demon Princess

Warrior Nun Areala #1 - 1st appearance of Warrior Nun Areala, Shotgun Mary, Mother Superion

Web of Spider-Man #18 - 1st cameo appearance of Eddie Brock

Adventures of Superman #596 (Update) There is no note that it was a Recall copy due to the 9/11 events and the 2 buildings that are in the book that are on fire.

Detective Comics #334 (Update) Could you please include Joe Giella as a contributor for the the art

2 hours ago, Bart Allen said:

Most of the suggestions I listed were from the thread below which dated from 2013: that's almost 6 years worth of requests that weren't dealt with.

Yes, I know. It's not like anybody is doing something wrong by asking for these updates. I'm just pointing out I don't think it is a priority. As you said, it's been almost 6 years.