• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OBSCURE DC'S! - Post 'em if you love 'em!
5 5

395 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

One of my favorite covers. 

lf_zps9a23e77a.JPEG

I got a little curious about the artist on this and found out that Rube Grossman worked at the Fleischer studios in the thirties prior to working on comics in the fifties. He worked as an animator on Gulliver's Travels which is one of my favorite non-Disney animated features. After his comic book work he graduated to television cartoons working on Felix, Linus the Lion Hearted and Hercules. 

2 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I got a little curious about the artist on this and found out that Rube Grossman worked at the Fleischer studios in the thirties prior to working on comics in the fifties. He worked as an animator on Gulliver's Travels which is one of my favorite non-Disney animated features. After his comic book work he graduated to television cartoons working on Felix, Linus the Lion Hearted and Hercules. 

Did not know that.  I think John Verzyl accumulated multiple copies of this book. 

5 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Thanks and they are one of my favorites and i wish there were more than just four issues

DSCN3667 - Edited (1).jpg

You could probably pick up a brand new Jet Ski with the proceeds from those four..... BRAVO :golfclap: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

19 hours ago, 1950's war comics said:

Thanks and they are one of my favorites and i wish there were more than just four issues

DSCN3667 - Edited (1).jpg

14 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

You could probably pick up a brand new Jet Ski with the proceeds from those four..... BRAVO :golfclap: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Or lots of 1950's war comics!

Really cool thread...I never knew some of these were hard to find. Kind of kicking myself now when I ran across an issue of Gang Busters and Mr. District Attorney at a used book store last year and I just walked on by.

I don't know if anyone knows about these. While not a comic book, they are still obscure DC's. Topps licensed comics from DC in the late 40s and early 50s to put into Bazooka gum. From the ones I have seen they all seem to be the filler comics, I have seen Jerry The Jitterbug and other Henry Boltinoff strips also.dcbazooka.thumb.jpg.ec4263abd9ac001dcae5b505dde247bd.jpg

20 hours ago, catman76 said:

I don't know if anyone knows about these. While not a comic book, they are still obscure DC's. Topps licensed comics from DC in the late 40s and early 50s to put into Bazooka gum. From the ones I have seen they all seem to be the filler comics, I have seen Jerry The Jitterbug and other Henry Boltinoff strips also.dcbazooka.thumb.jpg.ec4263abd9ac001dcae5b505dde247bd.jpg

Wow, I have certainly never seen that. As a kid in the sixties the Bazooka Joe strips were always disappointing. I wish they were still rolling with the DC licensed variety at that point. Boltinoff was a solid staff player who cranked out piles of artwork for DC. Nice to see something I have never seen before.

Here's something I found interesting when looking through the for sale threads at a post for a Wonder Woman 25. The inside back cover featured a book I never knew DC produced; well and it turns out they didn't as it was an offshoot of the company called Lafayette Street Publications. They apparently advertised in the DC line. I don't think I've ever seen any of these but will be on the lookout now as a new potential Obscure DC (sort of!)

image.png.982abdafed3b15142d4fa27e9e789472.png

2 hours ago, Bo_Hogg1 said:

This is ultra obscure but not golden age. This is a comic only full of advertisements, made as a gift to all the advertises of DC comics. Including mine, there are only 3 known copies.

Advertise 001.jpg

Cool, can you post some interior shots?

21 hours ago, mustang33guy said:

Hard to find issues from this series

0DBB056B-7A96-4995-B2CB-237FCAB37070.jpeg

Yes, you don't see these often. I used to have the early sixties Dobie Gillis books years ago but they disappeared somewhere along the way. They are also somewhat hard to find. 

It's been a while since this thread has popped up but the arrival of an early Mutt and Jeff forces me to post it. These don't go for much but I just enjoy the look of these early DC books.

tn_MuttJeff9-1.jpg.49a5e4f0be0d2eee0aec5a6980096e26.jpg

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

So last weekend at the California Comic Con I picked up an obscure DC title I had been looking to get for some time; an issue of Leading Comics with the Seven Soldiers of Victory. As a Bronze Age comics fan the JLA/JSA team up with this group was one of my favorites. It was also one of the first new DC's I bought off the stands. That cover will solve a little mystery at the end. In the meantime, I read the book today and it was more interesting than I thought it would be. The format is similar to the All Star series where the team gets together in the beginning and then head off on separate adventures. First up is the cover which would be swiped later in All Star! You'll note there are eight heroes on the cover and one villain! Seems like someone at DC had trouble counting!

tn_Leading8Cover.jpg.9a1972ffd05f7c71c58ca059efef8a81.jpg

Chapter 1 introduces the gang taking on one of Vigilante's nemesis' the Dummy! Really? A little guy like that is going to mess with this bunch? No wonder they were a second banana gang of heroes! Perfect for our obscure DC page! The splash page doesn't even rate a team logo; we just dive into the action. In short, the Dummy tricks the Seven Soldiers into coming to his lair where he scatters them through time using a time machine he has somehow procured. Don't ask questions, the plots not too thick.

tn_Leading8Chapter11.jpg.823c40f53fba294a857432a5ac7ab068.jpg

Chapter 2 brings us Green Arrow and Speedy heading back to hang out with the Three Musketeers. Pretty typical arrow shooting fare.

tn_Leading8Chapter21.jpg.d045be522352b1de5eacc23cef20d26c.jpg

In Chapter 3 the Crimson Avenger and his wing man Wing head to anciet China to meet the great inventor Li Ho. This chapter is painful to read as on the one hand, it celebrates the great accomplishments of the Chinese people yet simultaneously portrays them in a racist way. Very odd, it's almost like the editor added the educational bits which play a part in the story arc.

tn_Leading8Chapter31.jpg.a13b7434dbe3f748dc0940563b6b224b.jpg

There are no house ads in this book (except for the inside front and back cover) and only one commercial ad but it's quite a piece taking up the entire centerfold. Go Wheaties!

tn_Leading8Centerfold1.jpg.81aff185c0eb6aed2640ed7f04831998.jpg

Chapter 4 lands the Star Spangled Kid and Stripsey on Leif Ericson's ship heading to the ends of the sea where they get to share in the discovery of Greenland. Of course!tn_Leading8Chapter41.jpg.f228f5332d5b3ccaafdeadd6c0e8d47e.jpg

The writer must have got bored by the time he got to Chapter 5 as the Vigilante goes back to ancient Rome and meets Cesar and Marc Antony. But that's not enough of a plot as in a side twist two of the Dummy's henchmen also go back to loot some gold. Luckily they have arrived at exactly the same time so Vigilante can save the day.

tn_Leading8Chapter51.jpg.89f5ea1383e5ce968b0e4b1f5c6f3a04.jpg

Chapter 6 pulls out the big historical gun as the Shining Knight goes back to meet Leonardo who has coincidentally just built a time machine! He can't figure out why it doesn't work but luckily our brainy hero realizes it needs electricity and somehow builds a generator. Best not to ask too many questions here.

tn_Leading8Chapter61.jpg.4dd4c305238d8d0166cc583f338f99fa.jpg

After this chapter, the story rolls right into its conclusion without a chapter header. The Dummy gives this leaden group a good run for their money but they finally figure out how to capture him. If he's the Dummy I don't know what it makes this group of heroes!!

The back cover has a great house ad in full color. Probably the nicest ad page I've seen and that's an early Two Face story in Detective! I bet whoever bought this book wish he had spent his dime on that instead!!

tn_Leading8Back.jpg.240836a748ae6e881ea1229455a1e0a6.jpg

Finally, I think the earlier mentioned JLA #100 can answere who the uncounted soldier in this group was when you look at the cover. Sadly we see the Crimson Avenger without his wing man Wing. And probably even more sad is the fact that the DC gang at the time did not seem to want to count him as a Soldier!! It was different days and the book ends with some pretty blatantly racist comic pieces that I didn't shoot. I think my Leading Comics itch has been scrathched. An interesting and certainly obscure DC!!

JLA100.JPG.cd6b0efe2eddbd266a1a562900a48be9.JPG