• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archie 35 cent Varients

13 posts in this topic

A 35 Cent Archie Giant comic in the 60's?These came out before Archie 15 cent varients as I bought Archies Giant COMIC # 10 35 CENT VARIENT CGC 7.5 FOR around $458.00. I had never seen this 35 cent variant before.Is in A Canadian comic? Test Market? so rare I don't think anybody knows but somebody here might know.

I'm pretty sure the 35-cent Archie giants were printed for the Canadian market. If you check the indicia, I'm pretty sure it mentions the 35-cent price for Canadian editions. Unlike other Canadian edition comics, they were printed in the US. Extremely tough to find.

The 35 cent Archie Canadian price variants are U.S published (first print editions). They are U.S published editions distributed and sold in Canada. They are identical to the 25c cover price editions in every way except for cover price and were printed on the same print run at the same time as the 25c cover price editions were printed. The Archie 35 cent Canadian price variants are around 300 to 400 times scarcer than the 25c editions. Both the 25c and 35c editions appear scarce in a certified FN 6.0 grade and rare to find in a certified FN/VF 7.0 or higher grade with most copies found in GD to VG+ grade especially on e-bay. Only a tiny portion of the print run was printed on the 35 centers, perhaps as low as 5% and they sold poorly at 35c back then due to the price.

A few of these 35 cent price variants are closing on Comicconnect.com today.

I'm pretty sure the 35-cent Archie giants were printed for the Canadian market. If you check the indicia, I'm pretty sure it mentions the 35-cent price for Canadian editions.

Yep, there are no Archie 35-cent "variants, just Canadian Editions like a lot of other comics.

I really wish people still read books and went to school, so they could understand the meaning of the word. To a Canadian, which I am, these are "regular comics". meh

Yup, Canadian editions (although, based on purchases I have made, I think it is possible the 35c versions got shipped to US military bases overseas as well). They go back at least to the early '50s and may exist on all Archie Giants up to June 1965 or thereabouts when they all went to 25c.

The 35 cent Archie Canadian price variants are U.S published (first print editions). They are U.S published editions distributed and sold in Canada. They are identical to the 25c cover price editions in every way except for cover price and were printed on the same print run at the same time as the 25c cover price editions were printed. The Archie 35 cent Canadian price variants are around 300 to 400 times scarcer than the 25c editions. Both the 25c and 35c editions appear scarce in a certified FN 6.0 grade and rare to find in a certified FN/VF 7.0 or higher grade with most copies found in GD to VG+ grade especially on e-bay. Only a tiny portion of the print run was printed on the 35 centers, perhaps as low as 5% and they sold poorly at 35c back then due to the price.

Seems to me, I've seen quite a few "Published in Canada"s in indicia, am I way off? Or am I just thinking about TPBs? hm

Seems to me, I've seen quite a few "Published in Canada"s in indicia, am I way off? Or am I just thinking about TPBs? hm

Yes, on the indicia of the (Archie 35c Canadian price variants) it states (Canada 35c) as to point out the variant Canadian price but the words (Canadian edition) are nowhere seen or found on the indicia or on the cover or anywhere on the comic book. Archie Comics historically is a U.S comic book publisher not a Canada comic book publisher. (35c printed) on the cover does not change a U.S published edition into a Canadian edition in any way just by the book being sold in Canada. Also why are all the ads seen and found on the back cover of ALL the Archie 35c Canadian price variant books and inside the books (U.S ads) and not Canada ads if they were in any way Canadian editions? If the 35c cover price Archie Giant Size books shipped to and distributed in Canada where Canadian editions in any way, then the words (Canadian edition) would definitely be (seen and found) on the book somewhere and they are not for a very good reason.

Lastly stated the books are simply first print U.S editions with a printed 35c cover price on them that were sold in Canada as (Canadian price variants on the newsstands). The books are truly difficult to find even in Canada and seldom seen today.The truth will always win out in the end.

Yes, on the indicia of the (Archie 35c Canadian price variants) it states (Canada 35c) as to point out the variant Canadian price but the words (Canadian edition) are nowhere seen or found on the indicia or on the cover or anywhere on the comic book.

Just to clarify this, the indicia on the 25c and 35c versions are identical. Both say "35c in Canada."

The 35c variants do not state they were published in Canada. There are actual Canadian editions of some Archie titles from the early '50s that do state so.

Yes, on the indicia of the (Archie 35c Canadian price variants) it states (Canada 35c) as to point out the variant Canadian price but the words (Canadian edition) are nowhere seen or found on the indicia or on the cover or anywhere on the comic book.

Just to clarify this, the indicia on the 25c and 35c versions are identical. Both say "35c in Canada."

The 35c variants do not state they were published in Canada. There are actual Canadian editions of some Archie titles from the early '50s that do state so.

I agree,

Also here is an example of a true Archie (Canadian edition) comic book published by "Bell Features" a Canadian publishing company from the 1940's. The front cover states(Can. Ed) on it and the back cover contains Canadian ads.

KGrHqJlE6B7i9CmBOj3pheWjw60_57_zps9o71ghtc.jpg

KGrHqUOKj8E5h19RvTuBOj3pvHhw60_57_zpsrlof79px.jpg