• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-code Horror Suicide Covers?

11 posts in this topic

Since there are collectors who go after electrocution covers, injury to eye covers, etc in pre-code horror, has anyone compiled a list of suicide covers? I can only think of 4, and three of those are from EC (and of the 4, one is by gunshot, the rest are by hanging). I'm just curious if this has ever been addressed in an article anywhere-I can't find anything online (but searching the web it's hard to filter out all of the "suicide squad" results when googling comic book suicide!).

That's kinda sick. But, I do have a sick side I guess. I thought about doing a subset on those but really thought they might be in a little bad taste. I believe there are a few boardies who have been touched by this and I just didn't want to upset anyone.

But to answer your question, yes there are more. Other than the ones you mentioned, there is an issue of Boy Comics with a girl about to jump out of a window. I can think of a couple more but I think I'll just pass on that one...

All the horror and GGA comics are going to require some sort of trigger warning to any and all who may or may not be sensitive to any issues.

Decapitated head cover - OK, prices HIGH

Bondage covers - OK, prices HIGH

Suicide covers - no good.

There's something badass about the over the top horror covers especially given the history of the oversensitivity and Wertham et al leading to the CCA.

These are comics. Let's lean towards open expression

Edited by ft88

It's not a common theme for covers, though it is sometimes used as a story device where a character is scared or induced to commit suicide. I