• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

16 Gil Elvgren Pinup Paintings to auction in the next two weeks

125 posts in this topic

Two auction houses are colliding for two pinup art auctions in the next two weeks. If you ever wanted to buy an "Elvgren" pin up painting this is the time.

Sam Simon Collection is going to be auctioned by Sotheby's and it contains 9 classic Gil Elvgren pin up pieces, along with some great Earl Morans, and Alberto vargas on Oct 2, 2015

Just 12 days later, On act 14 Ha.com is auctioning off 8 Gil Elvgrens paintings and 5 pin up drawings. As well as the Jane Frank fantasy art collection of 177 paintings. 17 total Elvgren paintings, 16 pins ups.

This has never occurred before in the pin up art market...which means there are gonna be some GREAT prices on multiple pieces.....

"Sitting Pretty" the best one art wise, the most valuable is "Fasanation" which is the nude which currently holds a near record price on ha.com, I don't think its gonna bring that price or anything near it which 16 paintings coming to market at the same time.

Neither auction house would blink and change the date. Ha did it right by NOT selling the 50 Elvgrens at once when they got the Charles Martignette and releasing 4 every auction over the last 3 years. Sotheby's could a about getting the most dollars, they think pin-up is small time compared to what they do, its a shame to, Sam, who was a real great person, respected pin-up art, loved it....and like the treatment it has been given.

This is the buying opportunity of a lifetime...there will NEVER be 16 Elvgrens coming on the market at one time, let alone the quality of the art coming to market. My favorite of all the 16 paintings is "the wrong nail" from the sam simon collection, blow it up...stunning

Ha did it right by NOT selling the 50 Elvgrens at once when they got the Charles Martignette and releasing 4 every auction over the last 3 years. Sotheby's could a about getting the most dollars, they think pin-up is small time compared to what they do, its a shame to, Sam, who was a real great person, respected pin-up art, loved it....and like the treatment it has been given.

This is the buying opportunity of a lifetime...there will NEVER be 16 Elvgrens coming on the market at one time, ...

This distribution is being terribly mismanaged. There shouldn't ever be more than three to four major Elvgrens in the public market per year.

Those of you sitting on concentrated hoards of quality...pay attention re: how not to do it (and why it's better to do it yourself rather than leave things to "the heirs").

Ha did it right by NOT selling the 50 Elvgrens at once when they got the Charles Martignette and releasing 4 every auction over the last 3 years. Sotheby's could a about getting the most dollars, they think pin-up is small time compared to what they do, its a shame to, Sam, who was a real great person, respected pin-up art, loved it....and like the treatment it has been given.

This is the buying opportunity of a lifetime...there will NEVER be 16 Elvgrens coming on the market at one time, ...

This distribution is being terribly mismanaged. There shouldn't ever be more than three to four major Elvgrens in the public market per year.

Those of you sitting on concentrated hoards of quality...pay attention re: how not to do it (and why it's better to do it yourself rather than leave things to "the heirs").

They are really not used to selling the pin up art...you can see buy the rookie mistake , however, for collectors who thought they never might get a chance at one..this is gonna be the time...

I'm pretty sure Sotheby's knows how to sell art. I'm guessing this is something dictated by the estate. Remember, when HA got the Elvgrens, it wasn't Martignette's estate calling the shots--rather, if I recall correctly, HA largely bought out the estate and then slowly dolled out the pieces.

True, but if you count the girl walking the dog, that is 17 oil paintings and 5 drawings that are gonna be auctioned off in less than two weeks..somebody should of blinked..

If anything looks cheap enough, don't be surprised if the auction house themselves buy them.

I don't think since they sell 100 million dollar paintings they give a about elvgren...I don't see them a player...I see an opportunity, once in lifetime, to get something, hold it for a couple of years, and put it back on market. at a huge profit....Ha.com has no control over the other auction, and I don't see them as a buyer either.

In addition to flooding the market all at once, another thing to consider is that there is now one less buyer of high-end Elvgrens. I don't know how many collectors play in that pool, but I'm guessing it will have an impact.

Sam was a very "high end" buyer...quality pieces..there were a lot he would not bid on so his impact which in he has not bid in the last 2 years has not been felt...but while the loss of one bidder is not gonna change the market, flooding it will... Most of sam's purchases were from dealers, of the nine sam elvgrens only 3 were bought at auction.

If anything looks cheap enough, don't be surprised if the auction house themselves buy them.

I see an opportunity, once in lifetime, to get something, hold it for a couple of years, and put it back on market. at a huge profit....

Then you should probably buy them all. :makepoint:

I see an opportunity, once in lifetime, to get something, hold it for a couple of years, and put it back on market. at a huge profit....

I wish I could, but I will be happy getting one with a 70% market discount, Sam's pieces will go cheapest because of less buyer awareness and the fact they do not sell pin up art nor do they know how to market it. There is more than enough to go around at 17 paintings and 5 drawings. The 3 vargas, morans including a killer one and other of sams pieces pieces are gonna go cheap also.

I wish I could, but I will be happy getting one with a 70% market discount, Sam's pieces will go cheapest because of less buyer awareness and the fact they do not sell pin up art nor do they know how to market it. There is more than enough to go around at 17 paintings and 5 drawings. The 3 vargas, morans including a killer one and other of sams pieces pieces are gonna go cheap also.

Curious to know what your definition of "cheap" is?

sans including a killer one and other of sams pieces pieces are gonna go cheap also.

Curious to know what your definition of "cheap" is?

Thank you for asking for my opinion, I have been involved in Illustration art for some and I am an acknowledged contributor to the new pin up art coffee table book "the art of pin up".

This is my opinion considering the 17 Oil Paintings and 5 drawings to be auctioned in the next two weeks.

1-" Fascination" from the sam simon collection will be the piece that sells for the least relative to value. Cheap in terms of price paid to value. Let me explain: In June 2008 Sam paid at ha.com $262,900.00 at that time a world record price( the record held till may 2011, gay nymph/another nude for $286,800). what is striking about this piece its a crossover pin up-nude, nudes are rare crossovers are impossible. This is a museum quality piece.

The auction house has done nothing to promote this piece, in fact its estimate is LOWER than the girl with the hammer. NO promotion, no respect....my prediction is 30% of value which is $ 78,900 with or without BP...either way cheap...

2- cheap price/ lower value.....The wrong nail.....my fav of the action, bought $146,500...many collectors considered that price a bit low....value about 175 K

My prediction is 50% of value or 73,250..with or w/o BP...cheap, yes to value

3- Lot 71133 Unexpected lift....Ha auction..has not met reserve of 25K, I fell sorry for the consignor..this is already lost in the shuffle...it;'s a great piece with lots of leg action..65K-70K value...its gonna go for 27K plus BP

1-" Fascination" from the sam simon collection will be the piece that sells for the least relative to value. Cheap in terms of price paid to value. Let me explain: In June 2008 Sam paid at ha.com $262,900.00 at that time a world record price

That was a crazy sale. The same piece sold for $50K at auction in late 2006 and then it sold for more than 5x as much barely a year and a half later! I wonder who else got involved in the bidding in that 2008 sale along with Mr. Simon to run up the price like that.

Wow 200k increase in a year! Good insight.

I wasn't aware of that but remember the sale and remember thinking the pricing was odd - my thought at the time was that it was priced as though naked elvgrens are the best ones , but I don't agree with that. Nearly naked, risqué, scantily clad.. but not naked.