• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

16 Gil Elvgren Pinup Paintings to auction in the next two weeks

125 posts in this topic

1-" Fascination" from the sam simon collection will be the piece that sells for the least relative to value. Cheap in terms of price paid to value. Let me explain: In June 2008 Sam paid at ha.com $262,900.00 at that time a world record price

That was a crazy sale. The same piece sold for $50K at auction in late 2006 and then it sold for more than 5x as much barely a year and a half later! I wonder who else got involved in the bidding in that 2008 sale along with Mr. Simon to run up the price like that.

Back in 2006 the pin-up art market was in the early stages of getting recognition as a true art forum. The market grew thanks to Ha.com and new dealers coming in. With this sale, the pin-up art market came of age. I believe the prior price was very low even in 2006, Charles would have charged at least 100K for that one easy.

But the fact is another nude, inferior in my opinion, sold for more a couple 2/3 years after for 286,000.00 so I don't think for piece the price paid is out lof line , and a number of other sales folllowed such as its a snap at 215k etc .Again, this piece is exceptionally rare crossover nude pin up...if anything breaks any records, this type of piece will.

The lack of proper marketing, the low value estimate, the lack of indication that at one time it was a world record price... No real description of the piece and its rarity ..is gonna be a big factor..somebody is gonna get this way under proper market value.....and dumping it with 8 others at the same time, with 7 paintings coming

with 12 days later of this is certainly not gonna look brightly the final auction price of this piece.

You know the market better than me Mitch... but aren't the prices on Elvgrens really just a function of the personal taste of those bidding? It's not like comics where other factors can make a piece more or less appealing; it's basically all image quality here. Which is refreshing... but also means prices will be somewhat subject to which images people happen to like. If a couple guys with deep pockets like nudes then they will go for a lot. If those same guys drop out, then the nudes could drop... a lot, no?

Those comments are really neither here nor there except to say that in my (relatively uneducated when it comes to Elvgren) opinion, it wouldn't be all that surprising to see relatively large swings in results on individual pieces at auction even if the prices on the overall body of work stayed stable.

Those comments are really neither here nor there except to say that in my (relatively uneducated when it comes to Elvgren) opinion, it wouldn't be all that surprising to see relatively large swings in results on individual pieces at auction even if the prices on the overall body of work stayed stable.

Yeah, if you look at the Elvgrens which have sold at HA more than once, the resale values are all over the place.

Yeah, if you look at the Elvgrens which have sold at HA more than once, the resale values are all over the place.

The big auction.. 9. Elvgtens is tomm... Some will go super cheap, others who knows... We shall see

"Fascination" - last sale was $262,900.

Sells for $125,000 (including BP)

Ouch.

Mitch is right again!

What were the other prices.....

The Wrong Nail - $81,250 (vs. $146,500 at HA in 2012)

Sitting Pretty - $75,000 (vs. $89,625 at HA in 2008)

All Smiles - $30,000

I Must Be Going to Waist - $52,500 (vs. $89,625 at HA in 2007)

I'm A Happy Medium - $43,750 (vs. $59,750 at HA in 2011)

Toast of the Town - $37,500

Ruffled Feathers - $60,000

A Key Situation - $100,000 (vs. $38,837.50 at HA in 2007)

Fascination - $125,000 (vs. $262,900 at HA in 2008)