• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

16 Gil Elvgren Pinup Paintings to auction in the next two weeks

125 posts in this topic

I believe it's 25 percent buyers premium. Some of the prices you listed included the buyer's premium, some don't for whatever reason.

I'm just going off what's listed on the Sotheby's site, which says explicitly that it includes the BP. However, it may be that the website is slow to update the final price with BP, so some of the results on the later lots I listed may end up being higher.

The wrong nail is just lovely. Great pickup for someone. Past sales notwithstanding IMO that's the best one.

Quite a bloodbath :eek: when you consider there's been a good amount of time gone by since last sale as well with several being from 07/08. Unfortunate.

I believe it's 25 percent buyers premium. Some of the prices you listed included the buyer's premium, some don't for whatever reason.

Just so you don't think I'm :insane: , it still says online that "Fascination" sold at $100K (the hammer price), and that it includes the BP. Not sure if that's going to get revised higher to $125K later or not.

158084.jpg.5b2801f947f2b0b5d1ec12f8d6f3ca2d.jpg

The wrong nail is just lovely. Great pickup for someone. Past sales notwithstanding IMO that's the best one.

Quite a bloodbath :eek: when you consider there's been a good amount of time gone by since last sale as well with several being from 07/08. Unfortunate.

the wrong nail is gorgeous

Just so you don't think I'm :insane: , it still says online that "Fascination" sold at $100K (the hammer price), and that it includes the BP. Not sure if that's going to get revised higher to $125K later or not.

Hmm. Could be 80k +25% BP as well

Except that I was watching the live video feed when it hammered at $100K! Which is why I originally reported the sale at $125K ($100K plus 25% BP).

Except that I was watching the live video feed when it hammered at $100K! Which is why I originally reported the sale at $125K ($100K plus 25% BP).

ah. Well that clears it up!

It's listed as $125K now...guess it just takes a long time for it to cycle through their IT system.

Revised results:

The Wrong Nail - $81,250 (vs. $146,500 at HA in 2012)

Sitting Pretty - $75,000 (vs. $89,625 at HA in 2008)

All Smiles - $30,000

I Must Be Going to Waist - $52,500 (vs. $89,625 at HA in 2007)

I'm A Happy Medium - $43,750 (vs. $59,750 at HA in 2011)

Toast of the Town - $37,500

Ruffled Feathers - $60,000

A Key Situation - $100,000 (vs. $38,837.50 at HA in 2007)

Fascination - $125,000 (vs. $262,900 at HA in 2008)

Ah man I don't want to hijack this thread (too much) but everybody should take note. This is what can happen to any block of a hobby (or even entire hobby) when everybody (well you know what I mean) decides to sell at the same time...supply overwhelms demand. And the effect can be compounded if those same sellers have also removed themselves from the buying pool, effectively increasing supply and at the same time decreasing demand.

No. Skylab is not falling.

And a good part of the bad numbers has to do with them being in Sotheby's not HA, where everybody expects quality illustration to end up. But still...a lesson is made. Real money disappeared today, not that Sam cared of course. And not being around to see it happen...there is something to that as well.

As an active estate sale buyer, I can tell you that the numbers being made when heirs dump entire estates at one time without any great involvement in "the process" would have made the recently departed puke their guts up, were they still alive to see it happen. The buyers have sticky memories of what they paid and where inflation has taken everything else (houses, cars, gas, food) since. Depending on their level of passion (active collectors or just some stuff to decorate the joint with), the buyers have the transactions wound up in stories of The Chase and all that too (hmmm...any of us around here like that?) The heirs have no such "baggage".

It's listed as $125K now...guess it just takes a long time for it to cycle through their IT system.

Revised results:

The Wrong Nail - $81,250 (vs. $146,500 at HA in 2012)

Sitting Pretty - $75,000 (vs. $89,625 at HA in 2008)

All Smiles - $30,000

I Must Be Going to Waist - $52,500 (vs. $89,625 at HA in 2007)

I'm A Happy Medium - $43,750 (vs. $59,750 at HA in 2011)

Toast of the Town - $37,500

Ruffled Feathers - $60,000

A Key Situation - $100,000 (vs. $38,837.50 at HA in 2007)

Fascination - $125,000 (vs. $262,900 at HA in 2008)

My opinion: But let me remind the board...the auction price is not the FINAL price you pay...you have sales tax and shipping and insurance...

Overall the "sky did not fall" and the results compared we about what I expected. I knew one painting would go cheap.. so here goes.

1-" The wrong nail"...my fav of both auctions. the weakness is the girls face....but what a body...I valued that piece today....at about 100K-110K...so 81K is is 30% off...a solid buy on a great piece.

2-Sitting Pretty...I like the piece, but there were conditions issue with one...restoration and other issues..I like the piece...I think its worth every penny of 100K...so 25%off of on this one

3-- "all simles" is the weakest painting of the 9...the head not the right size...retail 40K...still 25% off with 30K price...buy you still have to look at it...lol

4-" I must be going to waste" a excellent buy 50K vs 90K...even if the piece is worth 80K still 40% off market value.

5" I am a happy medium...weak as a pin up piece...but still very well done...I put the at 60..the same price as was paid in 2011...so 43K was a discount 30%...

6 "Toast of the Town" at 37 not a bad deal, its about a 45K piece, maybe a bit more but with a 10K upside its still about a 25% reduction.

7- "ruffled feathers"..I always liked this painting...it about a 70K piece...maybe 75K so at 60K its a 25% discount...great piece

8- "A key situation" See" Fascination" history repeats itself...two bidders..not caring about value..which is 50K..now its double and when it comes back on the market it gonna get 50%.

9- "Fascination"...thanks for the board member who said I called it, Sam knew he paid to much and overheated the Elvgren market. But under black light this one was flawless...that is very rare..super condition..I like the piece, its probably in the top 5..I think $125K is the top end of the Elvgren market now, with Sam gone...a couple of other high end buyers out...as bob dylan said..."the times there are a changing...

I personally feel that things will go for what they are truly worth. Sotheby's could have reached out to more comic art collectors but I don't think it would have mattered much. The Elvgren market is still strong, but just due for a correction. Like everything, prices can go up and down.

A few nice Vargas pieces in this sale too!

I personally feel that things will go for what they are truly worth. Sotheby's could have reached out to more comic art collectors but I don't think it would have mattered much. The Elvgren market is still strong, but just due for a correction. Like everything, prices can go up and down.

Yes. I almost pulled the trigger on a nice Vargas prelim that went for around $5k.

I think $125K is the top end of the Elvgren market now, with Sam gone...a couple of other high end buyers out...as bob dylan said..."the times there are a changing...

Well, there was an Elvgren that sold for $161K in the May 2015 Heritage sale, so I think the "right" Elvgren sold through an auction house that actually has the clientele and knows what they are doing (Heritage) can still fetch the big bucks. That said, these sloppy results today and more supply coming down the pike isn't going to help the near-term outlook for the market.

Yes. I almost pulled the trigger on a nice Vargas prelim that went for around $5k.

Nice piece! The face on her was so so. I feel with most of these pieces, if the face expression isn't all there, they sell for less.

Amazing how that 25 percent buyers premium (plus tax if applicable) turns a seeming bargain into just a decent buy.

Shipping is not cheap either witnh crating and insurance . But again the results are not the end of the world... It could of made a lot more money for SAMs cause with a little bit of time and effort .... I am glad his collection was spread out .