• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

16 Gil Elvgren Pinup Paintings to auction in the next two weeks

125 posts in this topic

That Rozen Shadow is a real surprise at $10k all in. Amazing. Should have been $25k+. People are spending too much on those smallish naughty pb paintings. I love trashy as much as the next guy, bu these are typically small images on large boards with oversized borders that sort of overpower the image (imo). Rather have that Rozen than four of those trashy pb! Wanted the Eggleton Necroscope III but had an emergency come up, did not put a bid in early and wasn't able to bid live. $750 was a good deal for somebody. I would have gone at least $1200. Oh well...as if I don't have enough already :)

That Rozen Shadow is a real surprise at $10k all in. Amazing. Should have been $25k+. People are spending too much on those smallish naughty pb paintings. I love trashy as much as the next guy, bu these are typically small images on large boards with oversized borders that sort of overpower the image (imo). Rather have that Rozen than four of those trashy pb! Wanted the Eggleton Necroscope III but had an emergency come up, did not put a bid in early and wasn't able to bid live. $750 was a good deal for somebody. I would have gone at least $1200. Oh well...as if I don't have enough already :)

The rozen was a real nice deal I agree. How did the 2nd one do?

The rozen was a real nice deal I agree. How did the 2nd one do?

Worse five or six thousand. Whatever the bid already was, there was no live interest.

You know, I didn't even see that there was damage to the Snow White painting. Tells you that I need to look at the big scan and read the descriptions more closely. I also thought the Peak wasn't bad.

The thing that just kills me, and makes me reluctant to bid on anything from the big auction houses if the juice, and to make matters worse, the tax. On top of the hammer price, I have to factor in an extra 35 percent premium, and more times that not, that will dissuade me from making a bid.

Alex,

Thanks! I was going to go after the Jantzen painting, but Lena really caught my eye!

The Snow White painting had damage and I didn't think too much of the dwarfs.

MI

We forget the pin up and pulp stuff used to be impossible to find, after Charles death it rained pin up and pulp for 3 full years with 900 piece auctions. That day is over, now the quality and quantity have diminished. The folks that bought the quality stuff have a leg up on new collectors. And that type of once in a lifetime material is gonna takes years to come back to the market.Still ha did not dump all the elvgren at once.. They played that smart..this time a lot of new collectors probably got one. I see upward price movement as the market returns to normal levels of supply, coupled with a ramped up old time player back in the market big time.