• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

16 Gil Elvgren Pinup Paintings to auction in the next two weeks

125 posts in this topic

Well I'm a bit shy to make that call about any painter without seeing it in person. Paintings can so look much different in person than via jpg. Comic art is easier to guess at since there is no color, always the same scale, etc

I don't see anything 'wrong' with his work from what little Ive looked at it. What don't you like about it? I personally consider the subject matter a plus :insane:

Seems to me like perhaps you feel he's overrated(?); which is different than being a poor artist. I'm not going to dislike the art just because he can market himself. He seems to me to have had a good skill set as a painter - he just looks dated. Of course we could have the same discussion about Nagel and Id be more hawkish on discussing his art so there's some personal preference I suppose. Anyways Soriyama seems ok to me but I'm not going to pay five figures for it either. It speaks to my inner perv, but not strongly enough ;)

That Rozen Shadow is a real surprise at $10k all in. Amazing. Should have been $25k+. People are spending too much on those smallish naughty pb paintings. I love trashy as much as the next guy, bu these are typically small images on large boards with oversized borders that sort of overpower the image (imo). Rather have that Rozen than four of those trashy pb! Wanted the Eggleton Necroscope III but had an emergency come up, did not put a bid in early and wasn't able to bid live. $750 was a good deal for somebody. I would have gone at least $1200. Oh well...as if I don't have enough already :)

I agree with you about the paperback covers. I like trash paperbacks, too, but the ones offered here are D-level material.

Next big auction in April , for those who can't wait the best website for illustration and pin up art on the planet is grapefruitmoongallery.com... Dan is a super guy , very fair and easy to deal with. They probably have 150 pieces up on line and have been doing it since early 2000, real quality material.

Allan Anderson western pulp - since when is that $6k all in? Not the "hottest" Anderson girl I've seen but also not $25k. I expected $12-$15k on this and then there's the two Rozens. Cripes. Is pulp art dead or just taking a breather?

Next big auction in April , for those who can't wait the best website for illustration and pin up art on the planet is grapefruitmoongallery.com... Dan is a super guy , very fair and easy to deal with. They probably have 150 pieces up on line and have been doing it since early 2000, real quality material.

Dan is great. But you'll pay 120% (or more) of market in most cases. Doesn't matter if you're looking for a specific piece and he's got it, all good. But if you want type material, clearly yesterday was the way to go with discounts all over. (That Gernsback pulp cover, s/b at least $10k - another cheapie in my book!)

Well I'm a bit shy to make that call about any painter without seeing it in person. Paintings can so look much different in person than via jpg. Comic art is easier to guess at since there is no color, always the same scale, etc

I don't see anything 'wrong' with his work from what little Ive looked at it. What don't you like about it? I personally consider the subject matter a plus :insane:

Seems to me like perhaps you feel he's overrated(?); which is different than being a poor artist. I'm not going to dislike the art just because he can market himself. He seems to me to have had a good skill set as a painter - he just looks dated. Of course we could have the same discussion about Nagel and Id be more hawkish on discussing his art so there's some personal preference I suppose. Anyways Soriyama seems ok to me but I'm not going to pay five figures for it either. It speaks to my inner perv, but not strongly enough ;)

I was temped the Sorayamas as well, but as you noted, $10k was just a bit too much for what I call vice art. I'm actually a fan of Nagel, and as you noted, some pieces have to be seen in person to be appreciated. The big Nagel canvases are pretty col when you see them up close.

re: Soyorama. I remember when Bud Plant was pushing his art books in the mid-90s. Anybody remember Gynoids? At the time I would've committed homicide in broad daylight to score a single painting. But well...times change...(and taste)...and I couldn't be bothered to even track them now in 2015. But $10k. Man that was not the price back then. They were essentially unavailable unless you moved in some pretty special circles (which I did not). I think maybe the only 'common man' access point might have been Robert Bane (Olivia's gallery), but I could also just be remembering incorrectly. It was all so long ago and I haven't really wanted one to hang for at least fifteen years. I do like trash, but of the more subtle variety.

re: Soyorama. I remember when Bud Plant was pushing his art books in the mid-90s. Anybody remember Gynoids? At the time I would've committed homicide in broad daylight to score a single painting. But well...times change...(and taste)...and I couldn't be bothered to even track them now in 2015. But $10k. Man that was not the price back then. They were essentially unavailable unless you moved in some pretty special circles (which I did not). I think maybe the only 'common man' access point might have been Robert Bane (Olivia's gallery), but I could also just be remembering incorrectly. It was all so long ago and I haven't really wanted one to hang for at least fifteen years. I do like trash, but of the more subtle variety.

That Boris painting "First Love" sold for $9K yesterday - I would have paid double or more for it in 2006/2007, but didn't even make a go at it yesterday. Like you said, times and taste both change. Sometimes for the better. lol

Sometimes I wonder if it isn't a good time to buy this sort of stuff. Old enough to be 'dated' but not old enough to be 'classic' or 'vintage'

I feel like I have better fish to fry but it might not be bad value if you like the work. If it sold for a ton in the day that helps a bit too. But, I'm not drawn to it enough to want to buy it in the first place either

That Boris painting "First Love" sold for $9K yesterday - I would have paid double or more for it in 2006/2007, but didn't even make a go at it yesterday. Like you said, times and taste both change. Sometimes for the better. lol

What did it go for?

What did it go for?

$9K

Sometimes I wonder if it isn't a good time to buy this sort of stuff. Old enough to be 'dated' but not old enough to be 'classic' or 'vintage'

I feel like I have better fish to fry but it might not be bad value if you like the work. If it sold for a ton in the day that helps a bit too. But, I'm not drawn to it enough to want to buy it in the first place either

As you know from our private discussions, I've been stockpiling a lot of formerly very high priced works that are out of favor today but may yet hit a second boom wave of interest later. A big who-knows? on that but there is some logic to buying yesterday's $10k for today's $1k...on Wall St it's called catching falling knives lol.

One of the greatest paintings I have ever seen was a 6ft or bigger nagel ha sold in BH a couple of years ago... It was a magnificent work of art, sold for 160k or something like that. As far as the pulp art... Look at the quality in the auction... Nil.. No hj wards, no real masterworks that were out there a couple of years ago... If you have quality it will bring good or better money since it might be considered a featured piece .

I disagree about grapefruit being 120 of market, this material is so rare it's hard to peg a real price of the market. However gallery prices tend to be on the higher due to fixed costs.. I believe Dan is reasonable from a gallery standpoint , I can name a few who are not.

Cross-posting (kinda): Like sci-fi and fantasy illustration art? Live in NYC or the area? Didn't get anything in the auction and have some money to spend? Just want to see some amazing art? Donato Giancola has an open studio this weekend (Saturday and Sunday). Details here.

Folks love hating on Boris, but this was the one to get imo from Frank Collection:

boris_vallejo_84demonlover.jpg

Nice piece. He's a good painter. People get hung up on the mullets and the shirtless dudes but that was the style at the time. I had a mullet between 89 and 93 and went shirtless from 91 to 97

Folks love hating on Boris

:hi:

You need to take your shirt off and comb out your hair to "get" Boris. Give it a try ;)

Warning: the woman in your life may become insatiable