• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the Boards name be changed to 'Dealers Society Message Boards'?

157 posts in this topic

If I am looking for a book I couldn't care less if the person I am buying from is a dealer, collector, flipper, has never read a comic book in his life, or sleeps in Batman pajamas. I just want a properly graded book when I buy on the internet. CGC grading and these boards help me in that aspect. Just my two cents.

And I think that sums it up nicely.

If a buyer has a problem with a seller for personal reasons, then that buyer should just find another seller. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with anyone as long as they treat me fairly and honestly.

I'll be the first to admit that I've definitely offended many around here. I'll also admit that I've never cheated anyone, stolen from anyone and deliver what I say I'll deliver.

Like me or not, no one can argue the second point.

Brock you are a good man no matter what people say. You've always treated me very fairly,and I find your southern charm intoxicating. lol

I did once though..and I honestly think that is where "cool books" started...Park?I remember you getting upset at my admission...am i the reason for cool books?

It went..well i bought something from him...blah blah..he had cool books

Park: Cool Books?!?! BAD!

Me: :sorry:

Then...cool books started....for me at least.

And I still wear ribbons of shame.

I remember Greenham was there as well...

The concept of Cool Books is alive and well on the boards. Some of the comments in this thread are proof positive of that. I want to buy comics from people who can grade, have a sense of customer service, and have a hassle free return policy. I also don't want them to be dickheads. That's important to me. It's not important to some and that's where Cool Books comes from.

It didn't start with you Jimmers :foryou:

And the answer is no, it doesn't matter who one buys from. If the buyer is happy with the price, then it shouldn't matter where the book comes from.

No beef with Columbia, however, I don't agree with this. I'd rather buy from a dealer who's been selling books for a long time, and has a good reputation. That's someone who knows what restoration looks like, knows how to count pages, and is interested in conducting good business. I'd rather spend a few more dollars with someone who has more knowledge that I do, and have the peace of mind that I'm dealing with one of the good ones.

The flippers have lives outside of comics, and life gets in the way when your livelihood isn't dependent on them. "Sorry, my kid had a recital so I didn't have time to..." I can handle weekend dealers for small stuff on craigslist but if I'm going to drop coin on a book, I want it to be with someone I trust. I guess from the retail perspective, profit is profit, and you have to get supply wherever you can find it, but I'm only collecting for fun, so I can afford to be choosy.

I agree that I would rather buy from someone with a long, or better yet a good reputation. But those words don't always go together. I've been a weekend dealer for about 25 years, and over the years I've bought and sold with a lot of board members. Overall I think trust and track record are the biggest issues.

If the person is a solid grader (most of the time) and has a good return policy then everything is golden in my opinion. Although when I get around 10K on a single book, then I start thinking about auction houses.

There are several people here who would not fall into the definition of "dealer" by the standards outlined in this thread yet I consider them reliable dealers/sellers by my standards. They have integrity, are honest and deliver the product they say they will. As long as someone does what they advertise, they're fine in my book.

(thumbs u

Bottom line. The rest is semantics.

As I said, proof positive of the Cool Books concept. As long as you ply me with comics, everything else is semantics.

Like me or not

Tell us sometime about the backstory behind a collection or especially rare item you found, what artists and writers you really enjoy and why, what is was like meeting one of them, why you love reading about a particular villain, what were the most commonly worn superhero costumes visiting your house at Halloween, why a particular comic holds strong nostalgic value for you, how you got into reading comics in the first place, or something else about the history and practice of the collecting hobby and I'll like you even more. ;)

For what its worth, I still love a good old fashion phone call where we talk about all those things. :grin:

There are several people here who would not fall into the definition of "dealer" by the standards outlined in this thread yet I consider them reliable dealers/sellers by my standards. They have integrity, are honest and deliver the product they say they will. As long as someone does what they advertise, they're fine in my book.

(thumbs u

As I said, proof positive of the Cool Books concept. As long as you ply me with comics, everything else is semantics.

So basically every criminal will always be a criminal in your book. There's no forgiveness in your life, which is sad and pathetic.

(thumbs u

So basically every criminal will always be a criminal in your book. There's no forgiveness in your life, which is sad and pathetic.

If you forgive a criminal and he commits another crime, he is still a criminal. If you forgive a criminal, because he is contrite, and has given up the life of crime, then he has a chance for a fresh start.

(thumbs u

Forgiveness isn't the same as Forgetting.

Lots of people forgive a person's actions, but never forget what they did and use the knowledge and experience to choose to not put themselves in a situation where it's possible the same actions could repeat themselves. Perhaps they wish the person no ill will but they are also logical people who don't ignore information.

Also, too many people assume "time passed" is the same as "changed for the better".

Sometimes it's more of the same at a later date.

If I am looking for a book I couldn't care less if the person I am buying from is a dealer, collector, flipper, has never read a comic book in his life, or sleeps in Batman pajamas. I just want a properly graded book when I buy on the internet. CGC grading and these boards help me in that aspect. Just my two cents.

If a buyer has a problem with a seller for personal reasons, then that buyer should just find another seller. Otherwise, I don't have a problem with anyone as long as they treat me fairly and honestly.

I'll be the first to admit that I've definitely offended many around here. I'll also admit that I've never cheated anyone, stolen from anyone and deliver what I say I'll deliver.

Brock you are a good man no matter what people say. You've always treated me very fairly,and I find your southern charm intoxicating. lol

When I see a comment like this followed by a lol it always feels like the lol was a "just kidding".

I agree with sean and Chris's comments....

However, Jeffro's blanket statement re: cool books just doesn't sit well in my book.

And I'm not advocating forgive and forget...as a person's trust takes a long time to earn back. However, it would seem that never allowing one to regain the public's good graces is a bit short sighted.

Every person should use their personal experience to determine if an individual is worthy of conducting business. If so, then go for it. If not, then put them on your private list and go about your business.

While I do agree that some individuals who offer "cool books" definitely fall into the "less than desirable" category, but a blanket statement just isn't fair.

When I see a comment like this followed by a lol it always feels like the lol was a "just kidding".

Me too. You are awesome, Chris. lol

Me too. You are awesome, Chris. lol

You don't resemble your avatar in any way. lol

While I do agree that some individuals who offer "cool books" definitely fall into the "less than desirable" category, but a blanket statement just isn't fair.

I think you might be misunderstanding the concept of "cool books".

The "cool books" do not come first and anyone offering them is bad.

The "cool books" are the excuse for dealing with someone who, if they didn't have said "cool books", would be someone you'd have serious problems with and would decry dealing with.

Here's an example.

"Hey that guy really cheaped out on packing and shipping during that fund raiser thread for a boardie I'd never deal with him again but, look at that, he's got some "cool books". I guess he's not so bad."

If not for the "cool books" (which is short hand for the obtaining of material items being deemed more important than personal integrity) the sentence would have ended with "never deal with him again".

It's a choice some people make to put a collection of meaningless funny books (or any other material item in any area really) over and above the morality, ethics, behavior, or decorum of the person with which they are considering dealing.

To a lot of people there's no item at no price that's worth compromising their personal ethics and morality. To others....they really need that comic..no matter what.

I think you might be misunderstanding the concept of "cool books".

The "cool books" do not come first and anyone offering them is bad.

The "cool books" are the excuse for dealing with someone who, if they didn't have said "cool books", would be someone you'd have serious problems with and would decry dealing with.

Here's an example.

"Hey that guy really cheaped out on packing and shipping during that fund raiser thread for a boardie I'd never deal with him again but, look at that, he's got some "cool books". I guess he's not so bad."

If not for the "cool books" (which is short hand for the obtaining of material items being deemed more important than personal integrity) the sentence would have ended with "never deal with him again".

It's a choice some people make to put a collection of meaningless funny books (or any other material item in any area really) over an above the morality, ethics, behavior, or decorum of the person with which they are considering dealing.

To a lot of people there's no item at no price that's worth compromising their personal ethics and morality. To others....they really need that comic..no matter what.

bus11.jpg

And I'm well aware of the meaning....thanks for the update cool guy