• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO eyes WATCHMEN for T.V. series.
3 3

311 posts in this topic

Maybe we got a different trailer but the highlight for me was the Police wearing Rorschach masks - sinister.

I assumed Irons is Ozymandias?

I'm not mad-keen to see this as I am a huge fan of Watchmen - it's the disappointment that kills ya, you know?

Hoping for the best, but have a nagging doubt.

The trailers are just too 'weak' at the moment.

Did like 'The Owl' crashing though, and as we know, symbolism is everything in Watchmen.

Oh well, starts Monday so :wishluck:

Poor Robert Redford.

Except for an out of focus poster in a Tulsa school room, the Oscar winner is never seen on-screen in HBO’s Watchmen. However, Redford’s multi-term Presidential shadow is an ominous specter in a sometimes shambolic and yet spectacular show full of shadows, good intentions gone wrong, mad trillionaire, and masks, literal and figurative.

Ardent series creator Damon Lindelof’s October 20 debuting self-described “remix” of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbon’s palpitating and iconic comic series from the 1980s doesn’t seek to dissect the superhero genre as much as dig up the brutal roots in the American soil. As the Regina King-led Watchmen makes perfectly clear, to quote Richard Nixon: when you dig up the past, their sins come bellowing back to embody the present.

Now, Lindelof has hinted that the first season of Watchmen is a complete story and could end up as a one and done. That’s an appreciated consideration, but unlikely to be the case as WarnerMedia and HBO seek to fill the Game of Thrones gap now the blockbuster series is over and the AT&T-owned unit seeks to ramp up its HBO Max streaming game for next year.

Deep within the first season, Irons’ as yet unnamed Veidt says to one of his household staff that “to be alive you have to have purpose and you have none.”

Shoveling deep into the American dream and nightmare, Watchmen has purpose to burn.

Now, cue the storm of squid and vote Redford 2020

Well, I wasn't really a fan of the comics when they came out. I was too young and didn't understand them.  After this premiere episode I'm thinking I might not be a fan of the TV series too unfortunately.  I went into the episode with an open mind and will give it a few more episodes though.

Edited by Xenosmilus

Who watches the Watchmen? Well, everybody apparently. Damon Lindelof’s highly-anticipated series based on the critically acclaimed and award-winning Alan Moore graphic novel debuted on Sunday night to strong numbers, delivering 1.5 million viewers across all HBO platforms.

The linear premiere telecast of the new drama starring Regina King was 21% above last week’s Succession season finale. It also marked the strongest debut performance for a series on HBO’s digital platforms since the premium cabler debuted Westworld in 2016, another series based on an existing sci-fi/fantasy property.

On top of all of that, the 9 PM telecast of the freshman series averaged 800,000 viewers making it premium cable’s most-watched new series debut this year.

1 hour ago, Xenosmilus said:

I thought he was a robot?

Well he was. Built by the aliens. When I first moved to LA the Universal Studio tours still had that rotating ice wall or whatever that Steve Austin and Bigfoot fuaught in. That and the A-Team action/adventure stunt show. The studio tour was a little more down-home then with picnic tables in the lunch area and Cylons would be walking around, greeting you. That was when LIFE WAS WORTH LIVING BECAUSE OF THE BETTER QUALITY OF MOVIES/TV! :preach:

Penelope Windust :x

Edited by NoMan

2 minutes ago, Anfield Fox said:

You mean that was real? I can't believe i had never heard of it before. Thought it was just for the show.

That's what is coming out is how real it was, but restricted from local history books.

I thought it was a very strong TV pilot, jam-packed with awesome sequences.

My ambivalence about it stems from their calling it "Watchmen". The title sets a certain expectation for me in terms of characters, themes, style, and locations. This feels like too much its own thing. They should have called it "Watchmen, Tulsa".

I think it's going to be impossible to form an opinion off 1 episode.  I can tell already it's not the tightly controlled narrative of the comic, it's something different, it's not a deconstruction of comics and their tropes, I'm honestly not sure what it's "saying" yet, but I'm sure it has a message.