• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO eyes WATCHMEN for T.V. series.
3 3

311 posts in this topic

I thought episode 1 was extremely well done.

I'm not going to say I'm hooked, but I'm very interested to see what's next.

The Tulsa race riot was certainly an unexpected way to start this all.  I was ignorant of this history until I heard something about it on NPR earlier this year.  

5 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I thought episode 1 was extremely well done.

I'm not going to say I'm hooked, but I'm very interested to see what's next.

The Tulsa race riot was certainly an unexpected way to start this all.  I was ignorant of this history until I heard something about it on NPR earlier this year.  

Honestly, that is how I found out. Listening to NPR to and from work rides. I had never heard of this before the.

:frown:

Not particularly compelling yet through two episodes.  The rain of squid in the first episode was goofy.  No further explanation at all of what that was?!?!  I mean, I can guess, but come on, still not sure what sense it makes.  I immediately thought of the raining frogs from "Magnolia" when I saw it.

So Veidt has a bunch of clones who he whacks whenever he feels like it?

51 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Not particularly compelling yet through two episodes.  The rain of squid in the first episode was goofy.  No further explanation at all of what that was?!?!  I mean, I can guess, but come on, still not sure what sense it makes.  I immediately thought of the raining frogs from "Magnolia" when I saw it.

So Veidt has a bunch of clones who he whacks whenever he feels like it?

Since we are only two episodes into the season, the show-runners are probably wanting to keep some mysteries surrounding the events post-Watchmen comic book series.

It was interesting finding out who Lou Gossett Jr. is related to. And with Adrian Veidt/Ozymandias, even more interesting to keep his intellect fresh and entertained, creating clone servants that he treats like toys.

Enjoyed the first two episodes, especially the first episode. Fresh enough, with its own direction, to make it interesting, but with plenty of nods to the original series to reward fans of the original and reward viewers who are paying attention. 

28 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I really like the quirkyness, and the mysteries they are setting up.  Really laughed when the Blue Dong showed up.

The main heroine is a badas$

Digging that police are taking superhero names...Looking Glass, Red Scare...using the intimidation factor of what used to be vigilantes on the other side of the law. It's a nice idea for the show. 

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Digging that police are taking superhero names...Looking Glass, Red Scare...using the intimidation factor of what used to be vigilantes on the other side of the law. It's a nice idea for the show. 

And big bad Panda the Disruptor.

Panda.jpg.75014c46d1326000833ccdf355c2799c.jpg

:eek:

The original film was brilliant, most probably my favorite comic film of all time.

This series is well made, looks very good, has a good cast, but not sure on the story?

To me it feels weird, why has Watchmen become all about racism?

Is this what happened in the new comics, never read the new stuff, just got the Dr. Manhattan issues as they were Adam Hughes.

Would be great to know what Alan Moore thought about this, wonder if he's had a sneaky look ;-) 

1 hour ago, herc2000 said:

Is this what happened in the new comics, never read the new stuff, just got the Dr. Manhattan issues as they were Adam Hughes.

Dunno, what would you prefer it be about?  Obviously the threat of the US and USSR destroying each other with nukes wouldn't be the central conflict if Alan Moore were to write it today.

The Watchmen sequel "Doomsday Clock" was set in the early 1990s, whereas this show is set somewhere in the 2010s.  The central conflict of Doomsday Clock was that wars between nations weren't about nuclear weapons, they were about governments creating metahumans to compete with each other.  It mixed in DC heroes like the Justice League, Joker, etc.  I never read it because it sounded lamer than the original concept and a way for DC to mix Watchmen characters in with their primary universe to make future work on the title easier and more profitable for DC as a whole.

I'm undecided about this series so far.  I'm not finding it compelling yet, but the first review I read claimed it amps up in episode 3, so I'm giving it at least that long before I write it off.

Edited by fantastic_four

The first two episodes have made multiple references to Doctor Manhattan being on Mars.  He was shown on Mars in Watchmen, but at the end of the original series he was shown saying he was going to leave the Milky Way galaxy in the panel linked to below.  So why is he still on Mars in this show?

9Y6W7Wq.jpg

Also, while searching for an answer to this, I saw a possible answer about whether or not Manhattan will be in this show.  The answer to that was apparently shown in one of the trailers HBO released for the show, but they removed that from the final trailer.  Here's the bit from that trailer answering the question hidden in a spoiler (doesn't seem like much of one to me, but I can definitely see others disagreeing):

Spoiler

At the very end of the trailer released during the summer (link below) a man in a suit is shown leaning over and picking up a blue mask, and the man has a blue hand (picture linked below).  Given that this is the end of the trailer, it seems to be a big, flashing "DOCTOR MANHATTAN WILL BE IN THIS SHOW" sign, although certainly this could be someone just posing as Manhattan, I suppose.  If that's the case it's a lame thing to stick at the end of a trailer, but they did remove it in the final trailer, so we'll have to wait and see.

Doctor-Manhattan-in-Watchmen-HBO.jpg

Edited by fantastic_four

On 10/30/2019 at 11:11 AM, herc2000 said:

The original film was brilliant, most probably my favorite comic film of all time.

This series is well made, looks very good, has a good cast, but not sure on the story?

Would be great to know what Alan Moore thought about this, wonder if he's had a sneaky look ;-) 

Agreed, Moore and Gibbons' message in the book is that all of humanity is encompassed either by the threat of apocalyptic war or the rise of meta-humans.

The storytelling has been somewhat all over the place, the dialogue has lacked the edge of the book and the tone is every uneven, but there is enough so far to keep watching, at least for a bit longer.

On 10/30/2019 at 8:55 AM, johnenock said:

I like the show but am a little confused with the storytelling...reminds me of Westworld storytelling technique(which I haven't been able to make it past the first season...slow burn.

I hated Westworld. This is pretty good for me so far. 
I am looking forward to episode 3.

On 10/29/2019 at 5:45 AM, gadzukes said:

Very intimidating

That Panda has been through some things, man.