• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO eyes WATCHMEN for T.V. series.
3 3

311 posts in this topic

Despite being a sequel, this shows OOZES creativity. I absolutely love it (Lube Man!), and if you can't appreciate the level of detail, world-building, symbolism, homage, heart, timeliness, and mystery in this, go burn your comics because not much in there is going to satisfy you either. This is a worthy successor. I can honestly say I'm completely hooked.

And a shout-out to a TV dad telling his kids that heaven is pretend. He just saved them a lot of bs and angst in their high school and college years.

Ep 4 is setting up some new stuff and advancing the mystery. But Ep3 was mind-blowingly well-constructed. That -script and Jean Smart should win some awards.

Edited by BCarter27

Whenever they show the scene where the car fell out of the sky, I keep seeing the restaurant in the background called "The Iberian Pig".  I've eaten there many times.  It's on the square in Decatur GA.  I'm actually shocked that they didn't change the name for the show.  Hey, free advertising for the Iberian Pig because they've shown that shot quite a few times.

Read this on ign. I didn’t make this connection, curious if anyone else did?

”Like the comic, the show continues to draw admirably on superhero iconography. Its opening scene, which introduces the trillionaire Lady Trieu (Hong Chau), begins with a childless farmer couple and their otherwise warm & loving life, and ends with an object from outer space crashing down on their farm. Like the Black Wall Street Massacre prologue in Episode 1, it’s the Superman mythos re-written — the farmer’s name is Jonathan Clark, a mere stone’s throw from Jonathan Kent (father to Superman/Clark Kent) — but what happens between the introduction of the Clarks and the yet-to-be-revealed alien arrival speaks to the intrusion of money and power, in a story that might otherwise feel idyllic. What if, rather than adopting a divinely delivered saviour, Superman’s kindly parents bartered their farm for a biological son they didn’t think they could have? A son engineered, without their consent, by a Lex Luthor type, who then takes charge of whatever alien ship or object makes contact? It’s a chilling thought, since Trieu’s motivations remain shrouded in mystery.”

So Veidt is on the moon, not Mars?  That shot where it zoomed into the clouds of wherever he is and morphed into a shot of the moon seems to clearly establish him as being on the moon.

Why Manhattan cares about any of this is still a complete mystery, isn't it?

The scene with Veidt fishing up clone babies and then putting them into what looked like a huge centrifuge with them screaming as it spun was just bizarre and more than a little disturbing.  :sick:

Just now, fantastic_four said:

So Veidt is on the moon, not Mars?  That shot where it zoomed into the clouds of wherever he is and morphed into a shot of the moon seems to clearly establish him as being on the moon.

Why Manhattan cares about any of this is still a complete mystery, isn't it?

The scene with Veidt fishing up clone babies and then putting them into what looked like a huge centrifuge with them screaming as it spun was just bizarre and more than a little disturbing.  :sick:

And I think that was the intent to demonstrate how his intellect has morphed him into caring less about life, and more about his mission. Whatever it takes!

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

And I think that was the intent to demonstrate how his intellect has morphed him into caring less about life, and more about his mission. Whatever it takes!

If his plan is to escape I don't see how firing one dead body after another into the sky can possibly help.  What's he looking for with the telescope?  Any theories?  Has he been slightly adjusting the trajectories of the launch angles?

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Good point.  I was thinking he was on Mars but the "Moon clue" clarifies where he is.

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

If his plan is to escape I don't see how firing one dead body after another into the sky can possibly help.  What's he looking for with the telescope?  Any theories?  Has he been slightly adjusting the trajectories of the launch angles?

I think he was looking for the boundary of the bubble (for lack of a better term) that he's in. He shot them into the air and then watched to see where in the sky they disappeared (going from inside to outside the bubble).

2 minutes ago, Antpark said:

I think he was looking for the boundary of the bubble (for lack of a better term) that he's in. He shot them into the air and then watched to see where in the sky they disappeared (going from inside to outside the bubble).

I figured that too, but his first shot went through the bubble, so what were the shots after that for?  ???

I'd ask where he got a trebuchet from, but I suppose the answer is just "he's a genius."  hm

24 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I haven't watched this (yet) or read the thread because I do plan on catching it at some point, but a co-worker asked, "do I need to see Watchmen to understand the TV show?"

Insights appreciated.

Yes! It follows the events of the comic book series, and fleshes out the details how Ozymandias's actions impacted the world in a negative way in trying to avoid nuclear war.