• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO eyes WATCHMEN for T.V. series.
3 3

311 posts in this topic

You absolutely need to either read Watchmen or see the movie for most of this series to make sense to you.  And if you only see the movie and aren't aware of the huge difference in the ending from the comic then the squid references will confuse you.

An non-spoiler example of this is that Rorshach's mask becomes iconic in the show's society.  But if you never saw or read Watchmen you won't even know what the mask is in reference to.

11 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

881113853_ScreenShot2019-11-18at8_46_16PM.thumb.png.ebba613c6a360d4b0b562a4edd4ab265.png529919228_ScreenShot2019-11-18at8_47_11PM.thumb.png.803a28bf8440a07f4fa90e4224e42631.png

From 2017, which is noted in that article. But the thinking is the article did help influence Damon Lindelof's show approach in further deconstructing the superhero genre.

On 11/11/2019 at 6:37 PM, piper said:

I have it recorded on my PVR. I’m still undecided about whether or not to watch it yet.

Do it. The show is tying in the original characters nicely and advancing a new story well. I hope they keep it going after the first season. 

So last episode it seemed like Lindelof was implying that Veidt is on Earth's moon, but this episode he got outside of his dome and Jupiter was sitting large in the background.  So I guess he's on one of the 53+ moons of Jupiter?

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

So last episode it seemed like Lindelof was implying that Veidt is on Earth's moon, but this episode he got outside of his dome and Jupiter was sitting large in the background.  So I guess he's on one of the 53+ moons of Jupiter?

Read an article yesterday confirming he’s on Europa.  I thought he was on a moon of Mars; the nearby planet looked more like Mars to me

Edited by Heronext

Just now, Heronext said:

Read an article yesterday confirming he’s on Europa.  I thought he was on a moon of Mars; the nearby planet looked like Mars to me

At first I wasn't sure if it was Mars or Jupiter, but they made a point of having the huge "eye" of Jupiter in the shot presumably so you could identify it.

Really interesting interview with the actor playing Hooded Justice.

‘Watchmen’: Jovan Adepo on Superman, Batman, and Hooded Justice

Episode 6 of HBO’s “Watchmen” series, titled “This Extraordinary Being,” featured the actor as the third iteration of Will Reeves, mysterious grandfather of protagonist Angela Abar (Regina King), previously seen as a young boy fleeing the Tulsa Race Massacre and, more prominently, as an old man in a wheelchair played by Louis Gossett Jr. After Angela overdoses on Will’s Nostalgia pills, both she and the audience are thrust into his memories, experiencing his life as a police officer in New York, an attempted lynching at the hands of fellow officers, and, ultimately, his decision to become Hooded Justice, the first superhero.

“This Extraordinary Being” is an origin story, not for Will or even for Hooded Justice, but for superheroes altogether, this time through the lens of a queer Black man forced to hide his identity – even while in costume – in order to allay white fear.

For Adepo, the saving grace of coming into a series in a standalone episode of such great importance is the idea that everything about it is grounded in reality, not unlike his work on Netflix’s “When They See Us.” “I think it’s great to be able to play a role that is indeed fictional, but is set in a moment in time that’s absolutely real,” Adepo said in an interview with IndieWire. “It’s a history lesson.”

Pop culture can serve as a window into the less savory parts of the past, Adepo said, especially those moments that haven’t been painstakingly edited for consumption in high school history classes. He pointed specifically to individuals online who first learned of the events of the Tulsa Race Massacre from watching the “Watchmen” pilot. “There’s this responsibility to telling a story and wanting to be sincere, wanting to be completely open about it because a lot of people in the audience for these shows are seeing this part of history for the first time,” Adepo said.

But creator Damon Lindelof didn’t rely solely on history in his pitch for Adepo to don the hood of Hooded Justice. He also wooed Adepo with parallels to both capes and cowls. “In the phone conversation I had with Damon to help me understand the arc in ‘Watchmen,’ he explained a lot of the homages they were paying to ‘Superman,'” he recalled. “Specifically with the Tulsa riot being a reflection of Kal-El escaping Krypton and its destruction serving as a parallel in order to paint that imagery.”

Really interesting how they used the Tulsa Riot to serve as his Krypton destruction event.

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

OK, so what the heck is the guy who was her husband?  Some sort of construct of Manhattan like the butlers and maids taking care of Veidt?

I think that's what he appears to be right now. Which was a wild surprise, though you could always tell there was a mystery surrounding his memory loss.

Again I don’t love it or hate it. It feels bizarre for bizarres sake at times but for this it sort of works. The actual dialogue and story are sorta ham fisted at times but the directing and most of the acting is really on point.

It took me a while also to realize it’s tied solely to the comic book and not the movie. 

Edited by zhamlau

So if Veidt chose to go to Europa, why are they trying to keep him there?  And why does he want to leave?  To the second question I'm guessing he got sick of it VERY quickly...which begs the question of why Jon sent him there in the first place.  Belated punishment for the squid?

25 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

So if Veidt chose to go to Europa, why are they trying to keep him there?  And why does he want to leave?  To the second question I'm guessing he got sick of it VERY quickly...which begs the question of why Jon sent him there in the first place.  Belated punishment for the squid?

Did you see through to where he is talking about why he won’t stay?  He doesn’t feel needed.