• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO eyes WATCHMEN for T.V. series.
3 3

311 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, thunsicker said:
10 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

So if Veidt chose to go to Europa, why are they trying to keep him there?  And why does he want to leave?  To the second question I'm guessing he got sick of it VERY quickly...which begs the question of why Jon sent him there in the first place.  Belated punishment for the squid?

Did you see through to where he is talking about why he won’t stay?  He doesn’t feel needed.

If you mean the post-credits scene, yea, I saw it.  Was that the only one of the series so far?  I hadn't stuck around past the credits until that episode.

Why he wants to leave is easy to guess.  I'm sure it sounded fantastic to go to a new world far out in the solar system, but that little place would never keep him satisfied.  But why does Jon want to keep him there?  And how the heck would he ever leave, anyway?  Long way from Europa to Earth.

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

If you mean the post-credits scene, yea, I saw it.  Was that the only one of the series so far?  I hadn't stuck around past the credits until that episode.

Why he wants to leave is easy to guess.  I'm sure it sounded fantastic to go to a new world far out in the solar system, but that little place would never keep him satisfied.  But why does Jon want to keep him there?  And how the heck would he ever leave, anyway?  Long way from Europa to Earth.

I think that was the only post-credit scene so far. I think what he conveyed is Veidt's intelligence is self-destructive in nature, as he is always wanting satisfaction his contributions are recognized. Even if by the smallest aware team.

2 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Great episode! I’m wondering if next week is just an hour?  Seems like they have some ground to cover to wrap this up in a satisfying manner. 

Damon Lindelof didn't wrap up Lost, The Leftovers, or Prometheus in a satisfying manner so I'm not expecting it here, either.  We'll see!

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Damon Lindelof didn't wrap up Lost, The Leftovers, or Prometheus in a satisfying manner so I'm not expecting it here, either.  We'll see!

Oh I know. I had read that he had a very specific story to tell and that it was only enough for one season.  Hoping that means there be a least some semblance to “sticking the Landing “ :wishluck:

18 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

I had read that he had a very specific story to tell and that it was only enough for one season.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that.  I searched and here's Lindelof's quote on that which seems to indicate he's planning to wrap most major questions up, which certainly wasn't the case in those prior works I mentioned.

We wanted the audience to have a complete experience of a story with a beginning middle and end.  I didn’t want to be frustrated by mysteries that went unresolved so we’ll see how this series is absorbed and digested. If people are like, “That was a pretty good meal, I’m good”, then there doesn’t necessarily need to be anymore.  But more importantly, I haven’t had any ideas of what subsequent series of Watchmen would be. Until those ideas come, I’m content with just letting this one sit out there for a while.

1 hour ago, thunsicker said:

Hadn't noticed before that Laurie's ex (Cal Abar) was also the name of her sex toy Excalibur.

Great catch! I never would’ve thought of Calvin Abar as Laurie Blake’s ex, but it makes sense in a syllogism kind of way. So how do you know the sex toy is called Excalibur? I didn’t catch it. I need to rewatch. 

3 hours ago, bentbryan said:

Oh I know. I had read that he had a very specific story to tell and that it was only enough for one season.  Hoping that means there be a least some semblance to “sticking the Landing “ :wishluck:

That’s interesting because isn’t the last episode billed as the “season finale?” Unless he’s done as a show runner this season? I could see this get stretched out to 3-4 seasons, though each season may be watered down. 

Any predictions for the final episode? It might be too easy to think Keene and 7th Cav become Dr Manhattan at the end as a cliffhanger to the next season. Maybe Veidt escapes Europa and declares that the world needs more “peace?” Or maybe Lady Trieu’s Clock is what pulls Veidt out of Europa and he does indeed save the day (Veidt’s story seems to run on a different timeline and the satellite did capture his image. Maybe that’s what Trieu is working on?)

5 hours ago, Jay Olie Espy said:

Great catch! I never would’ve thought of Calvin Abar as Laurie Blake’s ex, but it makes sense in a syllogism kind of way. So how do you know the sex toy is called Excalibur? I didn’t catch it. I need to rewatch. 

That's what it's called on Peteypedia

It is a shame that this series is ending so fast - it has been great so far. The writers have done a wonderful job of weaving together the history of the Watchmen hero-verse with actual historical events (Tulsa massacre), as well as building in an interesting take on the futures of the remaining Watchmen.

4 hours ago, zhamlau said:

It seems like beautifully directed fan fiction with middling action.

I disagree. The wonderfully blended actual history and efforts to tell new and old character back stories (including who Hooded Justice was and why) has been very interesting. Especially how the show has kept these details in line with the Watchmen source material.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I disagree. The wonderfully blended actual history and efforts to tell new and old character back stories (including who Hooded Justice was and why) has been very interesting. Especially how the show has kept these details in line with the Watchmen source material.

I don’t see it, but to each his own.

I don't get the entire idea of Manhattan being able to see all points in time.  If you can see the future you can change it, so how would he ever be able to see only a single outcome, and why was he resigned to the idea that there was nothing he could do to prevent himself from getting captured?  Seems like all he had to do in that scene was destroy the vehicle with the quantum cannon on it and boom, outcome averted.  ???

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Why did they intentionally hide Jon's face for the entire episode aside from when he began to emulate Cal?

His new face is using the dead man's appearance, changed over to Doctor Manhattan blue skin tone. At least I think that is why.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:
16 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Why did they intentionally hide Jon's face for the entire episode aside from when he began to emulate Cal?

His new face is using the dead man's appearance, changed over to Doctor Manhattan blue skin tone. At least I think that is why.

Yes, but why avoid showing his face before that?  Consistently throughout the episode you always saw him either from behind or from the neck down before he transformed into Cal.  You could hear the voice of another actor but you never saw his face.

Edited by fantastic_four