• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO eyes WATCHMEN for T.V. series.
3 3

311 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I just figured if you can catch a bullet which knocks you to your butt you could probably take a surprise hit form behind :roflmao:

To be fair, it was a decent sized wrench........

I like the way they ended it. This sets things up for a potential next series with a different protagonist (Sister Manhattan?). I thought the comment by Willie Reeves at the end summed things up nicely for the story arc of the characters from the comic. To paraphrase - with all his powers, he didn't do very much - was a perfect way to describe them all in the end.........

Wrapped it up. I enjoyed this more than most comic book movies I’ve seen in the last few years. It was also wonderful to finally see the giant squid on screen, something they didn’t think would work for the movie.

Wow,

An amazing 1st 7 episodes, and I feel like a total face plant in the last 2.

The tone and quality of writing just felt like it fell off a cliff once the big-blue wonder came onto the screen.

This is one of the hardest series for me to or not to recommend to people, because I have so many mixed feelings about it.

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

‘Watchmen’ season 2 isn’t happening at HBO as series creator walks away

https://bgr.com/2020/01/17/watchmen-season-2-canceled-hbo-not-happening/

Don't know how credible/not this site is

This is just a clickbaity way of saying what Lindelof has been saying in interviews since the season first aired.  He's been saying all along he put all of his ideas into this season and he didn't have any others yet for future seasons.  That doesn't mean he or someone he knows won't come up with ideas at almost any point.  Given that he worked on the idea for this season for 6 to 7 years before he felt like he had a solid concept, I certainly wouldn't expect another season for at least 2-3 years though, possibly much longer or never.  If he focuses I'm sure he could come up with something quicker this time now that he's explored the space in depth.

I haven't heard him explicitly rule out future seasons, and this article references no quote like that, either.  He's just been saying for months he doesn't know yet what would come next, but has several times indicated he's not unwilling to mull over new ideas.

Edited by fantastic_four

20 hours ago, adampasz said:

Yeah, these articles are dumb. They are trying to make it like there is some major drama going on. The last scene is not really a cliff-hanger, more just an open-ended conclusion.

The only real cliff-hanger is, Whatever happened to Lube Man???

maxresdefault.jpg

Hmmmm...... can they frame an entire season 2 around "What happened to Lube man?"

On 1/17/2020 at 11:57 AM, paperheart said:

‘Watchmen’ season 2 isn’t happening at HBO as series creator walks away

https://bgr.com/2020/01/17/watchmen-season-2-canceled-hbo-not-happening/

Don't know how credible/not this site is

Sad to hear this. The best show I watched in a long time. I will always think of this as the real true sequel to Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons Watchmen. At sometimes I actually thought the Watchmen HBO show was actually better because the characters seemed to really be more likable than the 1980s crew.

Hot off a big New Series win at the WGA Awards earlier this month and heading in to this weekend’s NAACP Image Awards, HBO’s Watchmen is taking on a new category and perhaps more seasons.

“We discussed with the producers and felt limited series was the most accurate representation of the show and any possible future installments,” the WarnerMedia owned premium cabler said in a statement today.

Ostensibly laying the foundation for awards considerations to come, HBO’s statement also has ambiguity and ambition written all over it.

In set of tea leaves, that shift from drama series to the more poignant category sure looks to open the door that the acclaimed Damon Lindelof show based on Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ iconic 1980s comic series will be back for more after its initial nine-episode run last fall.

The Hunt co-writer Lindelof has said repeatedly that while he envisioned the December 15 concluding Watchmen as a self-contained story like the comics, he would be open to more seasons if there was the right tale to tell. In more recent weeks, there’s been indications that Watchmen could take on an anthology of sorts form, with contained stories like what American Horror Story or Fargo have attempted over the years.

Still the situation remains very fluid, I hear – hence the cover all bases statement by HBO today.

Creative concerns aside, the bottom line fact is the Regina King-led series was a critical and commercial hit for a now Game of Thrones-less HBO. Lindelof or not Lindelof, that ultimately can’t be something HBO programming chief Casey Bloys or the AT&T overlords want to give up, at least not without a fight.