• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO eyes WATCHMEN for T.V. series.
3 3

311 posts in this topic

I don't see how this could work. The only thing that would work is to re-adapt Watchmen and do it faithfully, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to do that at this point. The film, while deeply flawed, trod the plot pretty closely already.

Any kind of spin-off would be.. blasphemous (and I know that sounds like fanboy whining, because it kinda is).

If he wants to make a series then he should find a different property.

I enjoyed the film a great deal. I think the ponderous material was more exciting for the comics readers, unaccustomed to cerebral storytelling, than it was for the typical movie going superhero movie consumer looking for splosions.

I enjoyed the film a great deal. I think the ponderous material was more exciting for the comics readers, unaccustomed to cerebral storytelling, than it was for the typical movie going superhero movie consumer looking for splosions.

Agreed. By far the best story I've read in any funny book...there's a reason that it shows up on the All-Time Top 100 books/novels...

I don't see how this could work. The only thing that would work is to re-adapt Watchmen and do it faithfully, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to do that at this point. The film, while deeply flawed, trod the plot pretty closely already.

Any kind of spin-off would be.. blasphemous (and I know that sounds like fanboy whining, because it kinda is).

Wow...really? I thought the film was about as good and faithful adaptation as could be crammed into two hours.

It actually surprised me with how good it was, and I will defend Snyder's choice not to use the squid to the death.

If anything, I thought the flaw with the film (as with V for Vendetta) is just niche appeal that definitionally limits its box office -- neither Watchmen nor V were meant to appeal to broad audiences -- they're far too violent / abrasive / subversive for the mainstream popcorn movie goer who prefers the likes of Avengers or the Nolan Batman adventure flicks.

Why, just because Alan Moore is an elitist prig? Who cares WHAT he thinks--it's DC's property and his opinion no longer matters. I get where he's coming from, but he doesn't give a tenth of a mess about any relationship any of his fans have created with these characters at this point. Plenty of others do.

I respect Moore's ability, but not his arrogance. Yes, you can't translate all of the innovations to the comic medium he made in "Watchmen" to other media, and yes, any attempt to do so will be inferior to "Watchmen" because the odds that a Snyder or anyone else would similarly try to innovate the translated medium anywhere close to the extent to which he did is nil to zero. Who cares? Mostly Alan Moore and not many others. Do we really miss and return to re-experience his innovations to panel-based art that much? No--the vast majority of us re-experience Watchmen because of the story and the characters. You can still tell good stories with these characters, and while it won't be Alan Moore's Watchmen, it's still possible to do them well. He's not the only writer capable of penning an anti-superhero story.

This 100000000000000000

Why, just because Alan Moore is an elitist prig? Who cares WHAT he thinks--it's DC's property and his opinion no longer matters. I get where he's coming from, but he doesn't give a tenth of a mess about any relationship any of his fans have created with these characters at this point. Plenty of others do.

I respect Moore's ability, but not his arrogance. Yes, you can't translate all of the innovations to the comic medium he made in "Watchmen" to other media, and yes, any attempt to do so will be inferior to "Watchmen" because the odds that a Snyder or anyone else would similarly try to innovate the translated medium anywhere close to the extent to which he did is nil to zero. Who cares? Mostly Alan Moore and not many others. Do we really miss and return to re-experience his innovations to panel-based art that much? No--the vast majority of us re-experience Watchmen because of the story and the characters. You can still tell good stories with these characters, and while it won't be Alan Moore's Watchmen, it's still possible to do them well. He's not the only writer capable of penning an anti-superhero story.

Because it's a self-contained story - it doesn't need any back-story or expansion. And DC proved with the Before Watchmen books that they have no idea what to do with these characters beyond turning them into cash cow ting turds.

Wow...really? I thought the film was about as good and faithful adaptation as could be crammed into two hours.

It actually surprised me with how good it was, and I will defend Snyder's choice not to use the squid to the death.

If anything, I thought the flaw with the film (as with V for Vendetta) is just niche appeal that definitionally limits its box office -- neither Watchmen nor V were meant to appeal to broad audiences -- they're far too violent / abrasive / subversive for the mainstream popcorn movie goer who prefers the likes of Avengers or the Nolan Batman adventure flicks.

The Hallelujah scene is one of the most embarrassing things put on to a cinema screen since Birth of a Nation.

The Director's Cut. :cloud9:

:cloud9:

Hope you are feeling better.

:foryou:

Not as red as yesterday, I guess it's slowly moving out of my system. Not so itchy now. :whee:

Made a quick run and bought Avengers 2 and a couple Frozen Christmas ornaments. No one noticed my face was pink or they didn't care.

Nothing to do with Alan Moore. Watchmen is a complete work with no loose ends. You can't spin off the characters because they aren't 'superheroes' that can go off on further adventures. Their arcs are complete.

You wouldn't spin off Hamlet would you? (Oh wait... I did like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead...)

Nothing to do with Alan Moore. Watchmen is a complete work with no loose ends. You can't spin off the characters because they aren't 'superheroes' that can go off on further adventures. Their arcs are complete.

You wouldn't spin off Hamlet would you? (Oh wait... I did like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead...)

Clearly you haven't seen Hamlet 2. :baiting: