• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO eyes WATCHMEN for T.V. series.
3 3

311 posts in this topic

I finally got to finish this series this week. Thought it was great.

I loved alot of different throwbacks, but probably my favorite part
was the fact I got to see Louis Gosset Jr. one more time in a good
role again. Timeless actor. That man was a bad :censored: in the 80s.

Edited by fastballspecial

On 4/22/2020 at 3:29 PM, fastballspecial said:

I finally got to finish this series this week. Thought it was great.

I loved alot of different throwbacks, but probably my favorite part
was the fact I got to see Louis Gosset Jr. one more time in a good
role again. Timeless actor. That man was a bad :censored: in the 80s.

It was definitely great to see him in this series. I think my favorite film of his is Diggstown. 

EW: Damon Lindelof reacts to Watchmen getting 26 Emmy nominations

"I didn't really realize how much I cared until my heart started racing," the showrunner says.

Showrunner Damon Lindelof spoke to EW about his reaction to the news, as well as how all this Emmy love impacts his previous statements that he's looking to step away from Watchmen rather than try to double down with another season.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So you had to expect some nominations this morning, but were you surprised at how many there were, particularly how many members of your cast were honored?

DAMON LINDELOF: The honest answer is yes. I expect nothing in this day and age, and I think that it's hard to put too much stock and invest in award shows. But at the same time, we all have to acknowledge that they mean something because it's our peers. I didn't really realize how much I cared until my heart started racing. The first nomination that I saw them read off was Jeremy Irons, and my wife and I both shrieked out loud. It was all great news from there. The best part of it is not how many nominations, but it's all these people that I worked with over the course of two years, my creative partners, whether they worked in the camera department or the sound mixing or they were composing the score or doing the costumes. Obviously there's a disproportionate amount of attention that's put on the storytelling and the acting, but for so many people who put so many long hours and weekends into this, they really cared about this show. But we haven't made an episode of Watchmen in a year now. So the most wonderful part of the day is just having the excuse to call other humans up and not say, "How are you doing in the midst of a pandemic?" But to actually say, "Hey, congrats on this incredible work that you did." It's really been wonderful.

And of course I have to ask if all this has the potential to impact the calculus in your head about whether you're truly done with Watchmen. I could see it going either way. Because on one hand, I'm sure WarnerMedia is now going to be knocking on your door every day, if they're not already, for another season. But on the other hand, you could feel like, "Now I even feel more like I got it right the first time, so I'm done."

If anything, I've gone back and I've checked the calculus and it checks out. I'm so proud of the work that we all did. But this show only worked because other [writers] told the story and I got out of the way, and that was not easy for me. I'm not saying this because I'm being modest; I'm a narcissist, for sure, but in the case of Watchmen, the magic occurred and that could never be replicated. So many of those storytellers have now gone on to run their own shows and to other projects. Even Regina is directing and producing her own movie. So there's not going to be an Ocean's Twelve. The big incentive for me would have been not to do more Watchmen but to work with that same group of artists, and they've all scattered to the wind. So I hope there's more Watchmen. It's one of those rare comic books that transcends what people think when you say "comics." The idea can hold real cultural conversations or deep dives into American history, or criticisms of, of law and order — those things are evergreen. I really feel like that space is now open for others to come and play in, and I really look forward to what they do with it.

Although his identity was hinted at previous with the online journal and the message from the FBI the character's employment had been terminated, this was a nice touch.

While the show solved those mysteries, one that it didn't definitely reveal was that of Lube Man's identity. Seen only once during the season, Lube Man was a strange, skinny man dressed in a skintight suit that allowed him to slip away from Sister Night into a sewer after spraying lube all over himself. Additional material released around the show, written by FBI agent Dale Petey, hinted that he was the Lube Man, especially after the final notes said he had been fired due to his obession with masked superheroes. However, his identity was never officially confirmed.

Now, however, Lube Man has been unmasked in typically bizarre fashion. Appearing in the middle of a Rolling Stone video interview with showrunner Damon Lindelof and composers Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, Lube Man demands that the musicians play a beat for him to rap over. What ensues is a strange Watchmen-related rap song which Lube Man belts out while Ross plays a looped beat in the background. Lube Man ends the rap by pulling off his mask to reveal he's Dustin Ingram, the actor who played Agent Petey.

lubeman.PNG.759d51a35486a96b7941ef16a85205ad.PNG

WATCHMEN UNMASKED

Who watches the Watchmen? In this documentary focused on the critically acclaimed limited series Watchmen, the notion of what a Super Hero is, and the actions of human beings, are up for review. Damon Lindelof’s dystopian view of an alternate world proved more relevant and uncannily prescient by providing a scenario where cultural diversity, race, and the un-civil past of the United States was brought into the light. 18 min

IMMORTAL VIGILANTE: HOODED JUSTICE - SCREENING

Originally released on the Watchmen: An HBO Limited Series Blu-ray™, this documentary examines the heart-wrenching origin story of the first costumed adventurer in the Watchmen universe, the Black Super Hero known as Hooded Justice. Presumed missing for years, he lives on as an example for Sister Night, and others. Created for television by Damon Lindelof, Watchmen was nominated for 26 Emmy® Awards, including Outstanding Limited Series, the most of any television production this year. 11 min

Lindelof cheers the limited series Emmy for “Watchmen” as a win for everyone who worked on the show, but the writing honor he shares with Jefferson is extra sweet. He had been nominated five times, without a victory, for writing on “Lost.” “The writing Emmy was the Holy Grail,” he says.

When he won the drama series Emmy for “Lost” in 2005, 22-episode seasons were still the norm (a standard that the show ultimately helped break), and Lindelof recalls not having even a moment to savor it.

“There was no time to reflect back on Season 1,” he says. “By the time the Emmys happened, we had already done like seven or eight episodes of Season 2, and that was a runaway train. I didn’t know how to stop it. And so I think that I felt much more out of control. I was doing everything that I could to hold on.

“It took us two years to make nine episodes of ‘Watchmen,’ and in that same period of time we made almost 50 episodes of ‘Lost,’” Lindelof marvels. “I honestly don’t know how it was done. This isn’t even me saying, ‘Were any of those episodes any good?’ Just the fact that they exist is crazy to me.”

But the reality that Lindelof and his team had two years to craft “Watchmen” is also a testament to HBO, which celebrated on Sunday night with a dominant 30 Emmys, including 11 for “Watchmen.” HBO programming president Casey Bloys says he put full faith in Lindelof, even as the writer’s plans grew more audacious.

“If Damon showed interest in almost anything, I would be interested in it,” Bloys says. “I think he has a very special voice, and experience in television, and he’s always looking to do something ambitious. And in this case, a little bit scary. And so I really trust him.”

Edited by Bosco685