• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HBO eyes WATCHMEN for T.V. series.
3 3

311 posts in this topic

Put Watchmen on Cinemax and shift over Outcast to HBO...problem solved.

Sounds like a great plan to me. I only have one or two copies of Watchmen #1 left, but a nice stack of Outcast #1s waiting for closer to the show's release. lol

Any kind of spin-off would be.. blasphemous (and I know that sounds like fanboy whining, because it kinda is).

Why, just because Alan Moore is an elitist prig? Who cares WHAT he thinks--it's DC's property and his opinion no longer matters. I get where he's coming from, but he doesn't give a tenth of a mess about any relationship any of his fans have created with these characters at this point. Plenty of others do.

I respect Moore's ability, but not his arrogance. Yes, you can't translate all of the innovations to the comic medium he made in "Watchmen" to other media, and yes, any attempt to do so will be inferior to "Watchmen" because the odds that a Snyder or anyone else would similarly try to innovate the translated medium anywhere close to the extent to which he did is nil to zero. Who cares? Mostly Alan Moore and not many others. Do we really miss and return to re-experience his innovations to panel-based art that much? No--the vast majority of us re-experience Watchmen because of the story and the characters. You can still tell good stories with these characters, and while it won't be Alan Moore's Watchmen, it's still possible to do them well. He's not the only writer capable of penning an anti-superhero story.

Nothing to do with Alan Moore. Watchmen is a complete work with no loose ends. You can't spin off the characters because they aren't 'superheroes' that can go off on further adventures. Their arcs are complete.

You wouldn't spin off Hamlet would you? (Oh wait... I did like Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead...)

Watchmen is no Hamlet. (tsk)

I declare your arc complete, He11blazer. You had a good run, but it's all tapped out. :sorry:

'Watchmen' Returns - HBO In Discussions About A 'Watchmen' TV Series!

According to Deadline, HBO began discussions about Watchmen months ago. They originally opened these discussions with Zack Snyder, but he's not currently involved in HBO's plans — presumably because his slate is pretty full with Justice League and Man of Steel 2.

The fact that HBO opened these discussions directly with Zack Snyder is telling, though. It suggests that, for all Watchmen will be retelling the story of the film, the original plan was for something with the same style and tone. Snyder's Watchmen is renowned for its dark symbolism and comic book accuracy — it's easily the most accurate comic-to-film superhero movie to date. It would seem HBO are considering using a similar approach.

How Could A Watchmen TV Series Be Different to the Film?

As accurate as Snyder's Watchmen may be, it still changed quite a lot. For example, one key scene for Rorschach was changed quite a bit. In the comics, Rorschach's decision to kill a child molester was a character-defining moment, one that truly transformed him into the psychopathic figure so beloved by comic book fans. In a dark scene, he cuffed the villain to his stove and set his house on fire, leaving him with a choice: hack off his own limb or burn to death. The film removed all sense of nuance from the scene, instead showing Rorschach brutally killing him with a meat cleaver.

"Rebirth" has been a tremendous success, with comic book sales breaking a twenty-year record. It's telling that DC Universe - Rebirth #1, which launched the new range, was Geoff Johns's last comic for the foreseeable future. He's been moved on to DC Film, and is likely to exert the same post-Watchmen influence there.

HBO's interest in a Watchmen TV series should be set against this context. It's actually something of a gamble; HBO is betting that there's still a real interest in Watchmen-esque superheroics, and that DC Film's course-corrections will leave a gap in the market.

Didn't DC do the Watchmen sequel series as a prequel? Presumably since Rorshach is so popular and died in the original series. I'd guess any HBO series would also be a prequel for that same reason.

Didn't DC do the Watchmen sequel series as a prequel? Presumably since Rorshach is so popular and died in the original series. I'd guess any HBO series would also be a prequel for that same reason.

Perhaps being disassembled by Dr. Manhattan inmbued Rorschach with the power to reassemble himself like it did Manhattan did when he first got his powers. lol

WATCHMEN Reportedly Getting An R-Rated Animated Adaptation

Comic Book Resources has spotted a survey sent out by Warner Bros.' "A-List Community" programme asking for the opinions of fans on a variety of upcoming or recent film and television projects.

However, we have some surprising news for this one thanks to the reveal that Watchmen is "an upcoming made for video movie" which is clearly coming sooner than we thought as it has to either be in development or completed to show up here. Apparently, it will be "A faithful adaptation of the Watchmen graphic novel executed in an animation style that mirrors the source material."

Looks like it is happening.

Damon Lindelof to Develop ‘Watchmen’ for HBO

watchmen-rorschach.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=

Looks like Damon Lindelof may be going back to work for HBO.

Fresh off the series finale of “The Leftovers,” Lindelof is in talks to develop an adaptation of the comic book series “Watchmen” to the cabler.

This will be HBO’s second attempt at developing a series based on the landmark DC Comics miniseries by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. The premium channel had kicked the tires on a “Watchmen” project in 2014. Sources say Lindelof’s take on the series would be starting over from scratch independent of that effort.

“Watchmen” was adapted into a feature film produced by Warner Bros. and directed by Zach Snyder in 2009. No deal is yet in place for the HBO project, which will be unrelated to that movie produced by Warner Bros. Television, where Lindelof is under an overall deal.

1 hour ago, nearmint said:

I recently won a screenwriting competition and they're sending my --script out to managers trying to find me representation.  I just asked them if they could get my pilot spec over to Lindelof's office.  What the heck, doesn't hurt to try.

:wishluck:

6 hours ago, nearmint said:

I recently won a screenwriting competition and they're sending my --script out to managers trying to find me representation.  I just asked them if they could get my pilot spec over to Lindelof's office.  What the heck, doesn't hurt to try.

Good luck! :applause:

Watchmen Artist Thinks HBO TV Show Will Be Better Than the Movie

With HBO officially developing a Watchmen TV series, the artist of the original graphic novel has high hopes that showrunner Damon Lindelof can top Zack Snyder’s cinematic version of his work.

Adapting the work of Dave Gibbons and Alan Moore for live-action once again, The Leftovers and Lost co-creator will bring the lives of The Comedian, Dr. Manhattan, and Nite Owl back with a splash of color. Based on the graphic novel series of the same name, HBO’s Watchmen will turn all twelve issues of 1986’s acclaimed work into a miniseries.

It isn’t just fans of comic books that are looking to the future of the franchise. Speaking to Screen Rant at San Diego Comic-Con, Dave Gibbons told us how the new era of his and Moore’s work could outshine its predecessor:

“Yeah. I mean, I think whenever Alan and I in the past had talked about movies and TV, in a way the TV form with an episodic story, which Watchmen very much was. It was a graphic novel. It was a monthly story. I think that works very well.”

Spread out over a series of weeks, and with HBO’s notoriously high production values, Watchmen could be one of the big televisual events of the 21st Century.

Not to get too political, but the current White House is very different from the White House when Watchmen (the movie) was released.  There are a few things the Watchmen's alternate U.S.A. had can be compared to actual U.S.A. in a different way than in 2009.  (...and V for Vendetta as well, for that matter.)

It would be a very political show, even if there was no intention to make it so.

Edited by valiantman

44 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Not to get too political, but the current White House is very different from the White House when Watchmen (the movie) was released.  There are a few things the Watchmen's alternate U.S.A. had can be compared to actual U.S.A. in a different way than in 2009.  (...and V for Vendetta as well, for that matter.)

It would be a very political show, even if there was no intention to make it so.

Watchmen was always political by design, and since it was released in 1986 but was set in an alternate reality version of 1985 where Nixon was serving a fourth or fifth term in office you don't necessarily have to change that, it can still be set in that alternate 1985.  And since they're converting the original comic the assumption should be that's exactly what they will do.

1 hour ago, fantastic_four said:

Watchmen was always political by design, and since it was released in 1986 but was set in an alternate reality version of 1985 where Nixon was serving a fourth or fifth term in office you don't necessarily have to change that, it can still be set in that alternate 1985.  And since they're converting the original comic the assumption should be that's exactly what they will do.

Right - however, the most Nixonesque person we've had in the White House might be the one there now.  That wasn't happening during the movie.

14 hours ago, valiantman said:
15 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Right - however, the most Nixonesque person we've had in the White House might be the one there now.  That wasn't happening during the movie.

They certainly could re-write it for the modern world, but I think the guy you're referring to would need to rattle his saber a bit more to draw any equivalent comparison to Nixon that matches the Watchmen doomsday story.  So far it hasn't happened, although Kim Jong-un may force it to.  :ohnoez:

Damon Lindlehof’s ‘Watchmen’ HBO series is officially underway

rAmUCDM.png

Last summer it was reported that Zack Snyder was no longer involved with HBO’s upcoming Watchmen series, and that Lost creator Damon Lindlehof was in talks to work on it. Now it would appear that those reports were correct.

This afternoon, Lindelhof shared a Watchmen-related photo with the caption “Day One”. The photo is of the retirement trophy given to Nite Owl, the WWII-era vigilante who wrote a memoir that appeared in the back pages of the original issues of Watchmen.