• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

November 2015 Heritage Signature Auction Thread
1 1

630 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2015 at 0:29 PM, delekkerste said:
On 11/23/2015 at 11:06 AM, vodou said:

Gene, did I miss the post where you said you won this?

Because I've never seen anyone so vociferously defend a piece without having a financial interest in it. Nothing wrong with that, but wow, quite the hard on you have for this art lol:)

I didn't win the cover, so, no, I'm not "talking my book" here. But, Spidey #96-98 is my 2nd favorite Spidey story arc of all-time after ASM #121-122. Go re-read those issues - the story is superb all the way through (the interior art is admittedly a bit hit or miss, but at least the the #97 and especially the #98 covers are so good). And no one should have to justify why one of the best Spidey vs. Goblin covers ever is awesome as much as I have - it's as obvious as the truths that "We the People" hold to be self-evident... :whistle:

I just re-read ASM #96-98 this morning and they still hold up even for an adult audience, unlike the lighter Silver Age fare or McSpidey issues which were both written at particular times for a particular (young) audience. They really represent a high point for Stan Lee and Marvel, challenging the CCA and going ahead with the bold and challenging storyline, taking on matters of race, class and drugs/crime. And, it's Spidey, so people might actually want to read these relevant issues as opposed to...Green Lantern, no matter how good those issues are (and, yes, I've read them - I've got my GL/GA TPBs in front of me now...zero desire to re-read them though I do like flipping through them and looking at the pretty pictures). hm

Didn't win it then, but, a series of very fortunate events during the SDCC last week enabled me to acquire the ASM #98 cover from its owner as part of a larger 4-way transaction (everyone ended up happy - now, that's what I call a great deal!)

Gil Kane - Amazing Spider-Man #98 Cover (Marvel, 1971) in my Comic Art Fans Gallery

As you can see from the above 2015 post and my previous ones on the subject, I just LOVE this cover, this issue, this storyline.  So much so that I was taking on all comers and pounding the table about it even after losing out on it!  It's my second favorite Spidey issue of all-time (after #121), and I just love the gripping, tension-filled, grab-you-by-the-throat cover scene.  Needless to say, I'm super-happy about this one!    

7 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Didn't win it then, but, a series of very fortunate events during the SDCC last week enabled me to acquire the ASM #98 cover from its owner as part of a larger 4-way transaction (everyone ended up happy - now, that's what I call a great deal!)

Gil Kane - Amazing Spider-Man #98 Cover (Marvel, 1971) in my Comic Art Fans Gallery

As you can see from the above 2015 post and my previous ones on the subject, I just LOVE this cover, this issue, this storyline.  So much so that I was taking on all comers and pounding the table about it even after losing out on it!  It's my second favorite Spidey issue of all-time (after #121), and I just love the gripping, tension-filled, grab-you-by-the-throat cover scene.  Needless to say, I'm super-happy about this one!    

Congrats Gene :applause:

Don't want to say "patience is a virue" but someone will, so it might as well be me :)

7 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

CONGRATS!!! For a 4-way Deal...you get a DiCaprio Quad-Tap Celebration!!

Leonardo-DiCaprio-Clap.gif

nzg7vEU.gif

giphy.gif

8jOK_f-maxage-0.gif

Congratulations, Gene :golfclap:I really like reading stories like yours. 18 months of discipline and self-control paid off, and it's still in line with your record of money coming in from comic art exceeds that of going out. This at a huge sacrifice, off course.

6 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Congratulations on your four-way!   That's a day to remember ;)  Great cover!!

13 hours ago, delekkerste said:

holly mother  :whatthe:  (worship)

I own the complete interior art to ASM #98.....

put it together over the course of 20 years!

ASM 98 has more goblin/Spider-Man battle pages than any asm book EVER! 

one of the absolute best all out battle issues ever from the first 125 asm books!

that #98 cover is truly amazing....  I could have had this awesome cover recently but i gave up on collecting spidey covers actively in 1998 when I sold and traded all of my Pre #150 ASM covers I owned in the 5k range each..... as i felt they were going to be too high to sell back then when they hit that historic 5k price tag...........

so I have to stick to my guns..... and keep with the interiors and splashes I cherish more! ..... :)

Mike

Edited by romitaman

1 hour ago, romitaman said:

I own the complete interior art to ASM #98.....

put it together over the course of 20 years!

ASM 98 has more goblin/Spider-Man battle pages than any asm book EVER! 

one of the absolute best all out battle issues ever from the first 125 asm books! 

(thumbsu

Really enjoyed seeing some of the #98 interiors, especially the memorable last page, at the Society of Illustrators exhibition recently. To me, they were as memorable (or more) as anything else there - just love that issue!