• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To restore or not restore?

11 posts in this topic

I have the following book which i was preparing for sale.

During the process the front cover which was holding together by a thread, completely separated.

So tehcnically the grade went from about 3.5 down to .5.

any feel for how the book might sell as a very very nice .5 versus a restored and pressed 4 or over?

Image%2067_zpsn9s4pjoz.jpg

Image%2068_zps8dqpuzsj.jpg

Image%2075_zpse8em7sup.jpg

Image%2076_zpsizte9sep.jpg

As neato as it is, is it really worth the cost to reattach the cover? It looks like it's really not, unless you could get a 6.0 or better out of it, which looks very unlikely.

I had someone approach me with a very nice Hulk #1 that just had some moderate color touch. If the color touch was scraped away, it could conceivably be a 4.5 or so. But...with the CT, it was a solid 7.0+.

I told the guy to leave it as is, even if the money is better right now. The market will mature, and won't pay such ridiculous differences for stuff like this.

I am consigning the book, and the grade the consignor is going to assign is a 0.5. I really dont have much say in the matter.

They only way to get a higher grade would be to restore. with or without pressing. Depending on the restore costs seems like I would be more than able to recoup the investment with a restore, press and slab. any idea of the approx costs of those items?

thanks

I agree its going to come down to a point where comics

with slight resto like color touch and maybe pieces added

will garner better returns in the future. People are so anti

resto books but when u even have a golden age key say

Superman 1 restored its about preservation not destruction

by leaving it be. Look at classic cars today how many 69 SS

Camaro's are unrestored! Not very many right. But when someone

helps being the car to life restoring it it gets top premium dollar

because people know how rare they are and restoring is then

encouraged to help give it new life. Comics should be the same

way and sometime down the road it will be getting better $$ returns

then they are now. It will trust me it will..

Yeah, would make no sense to restore. It probably went from 3.0 to about a 2.0... not a big deal. Just sell as is, mentioning the detachment.

I think he means the front separated from the rest of the square bound book, effectively a completely split spine, so more like a 1.0, perhaps 1.5 if you are forgiving and it looks nice otherwise.

If it was just "hanging by a thread", I'm not sure it could have been considered a 3.5 before hand though.