• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My First Vendor Adventure posted by Tyler77

61 posts in this topic

Note to self: Stop admiring the various covers and looking at the books too long. Must grade price and move, no time for "enjoyment".

...And on top of this, I am looking at TWO collections on Saturday...Whenever I get a lead, I check it out ASAP for fear of missing out on something by someone beating me to it or seller losing interest, etc.

One collection at 10:30 AM (it is about 45 minutes away) and hitting another collection right in town in the early afternoon. Basically losing a day to get ready. Hopefully something positive comes from this but as usual, we shall see.

Ok, so I drove about 1 hour and 15 minutes to a guy's house who replied to one of my Kijiji ads.

Well, needless to say today was shot for getting ready for the show, however, I did end up buying everything he had...Some drek, some stuff I will make a fair buck or four on and some little treasures. Definitely some oddities too. Nothing crazy but a very profitable trip.

I'm still getting them out of their old gross bags and sorting but will try to post something soon.

Oh, and the guys house REEKED of marijuana so bad it gave me a headache but he was a pleasant guy (obviously).

lol.

I "lost" another day to get ready for the show...BUT, I had another FUN and GOOD buying day.

A person who I had been having a lot of back and forth with about checking out his collection finally was able to make the time - He is starting to downsize and wants to only work in small lots.

I think he wanted to test to see what kind of person I was. The scope of his collection was pretty amazing so I wanted to establish a rapport and demonstrate I was willing to buy.

I ended up getting a great deal on all this stuff and he says the next chunk he moves will be more Marvel and DC related.

misc.%20marvel%20books._zpsrhkvjkn5.jpg

1st Nebula, couple of first Typhoid Mary's and common issues

misc.%20valiant%20lot_zpsqsnykj7z.jpg

1st Bloodshot, 1st Ninjak, 1st Gen 13, 1st Jack Boniface...Nice sellable lots

zenescope%20lot_zps1edqzetn.jpg

Never expected to see so much Zenescope stuff..Multiple copies of multiple variants...I'm thinking of grouping all of them together and bang them out in sets. The Retailer exclusives of Grimm Tales of Terror #1 is a nice score too.

Nothing that is going to light the world on fire here but good solid stock. At least I think so...

Well, my only competitor (who is an acquaintance), who has just one table, told me he is going to "unload" his 5 boxes of garbage, and that if someone makes an offer he may go down to 25 cents a book for all of them but generally thinking he is sticking with 1 dollar/ 50 cents for generals sales.

Now, most of his stuff is all recent moderns...My drek is mostly copper/early modern...Is there any point to me bringing along lots of my drek or should I focus on the middle to upper tier books? I was thinking that in addition to my two boxes of completed mini's/maxi's etc., that maybe I would just have one or maybe two "cheapo" boxes.

Thoughts?

It doesn't sound like there would be a lot of overlap between your material, so if you wanted to take your stuff I don't think you'd be in direct competition (i.e., if someone is looking for moderns they'll buy from him, coppers they'll buy from you). You could stick to a buck a book even if he starts blowing stuff out and still be ok. If you plan to do this more often you might even consider buying him out at a quarter a book to stock up for later shows!

I set up at a show last autumn under what I believe to be very similar circumstances.

First, there were only two other tables with comics. Second, the tables were inexpensive. Third, the location was small-city Ontario, Canada.

I had two guys (a third guy needed to find the ATM and never came back) that wanted high-grade silver/bronze/copper books. That was it.

Drek was king, in grades GD+ or better. Spider-Man, Batman, Superman (older folks), X-Men, Hellboy, and Avengers titles (basically any property that has had a successful movie) moved. 2x-cover price Harley Quinn (Vol. 1), Walking Dead and Deadpool titles were ignored. One copy of New Suicide Squad #1 sold for cover. None sold at 2x cover.

I brought two "regular" books for every one drek book, when I should have brought two drek for every one "regular".

Was it the same city as me????

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of dollar books loaded and ready to go...As I have been mostly selling online, the drek I kind of pushed to the side...For too long. I will only have one long box of drek ready to go.

The other guy will probably do better as he does not have as much "high end" stuff as I do and will be looking to blow out his inventory so he may actually do better than I do.

I am committed though to looking professional and showing that I have solid stuff and use this as an information gathering exercise. As most of my "good inventory" is set, I will be focussing on the drek for future shows but like I said, unfortunately, most of it I won't get to until afterwards.

Ok, so here is my strategy...

Table 1:

Some low and higher end treasuries and over sized books, a 1967 Superman boardgame (stuff that makes a for a nice visual to bring people in), some Star Wars items and affordable comics and trades (everyone loves Star Wars right?) and some older and affordable trade paperbacks and Marvel Illustrated and DC Blue Ribbon Digests.

I will also have my CGC 'display' and binder of all my CGC books for sale that customers can flip through and if anyone is interested, will get the actual book from behind the table to show them.

Table 2:

All comics. What exactly goes there will be subject to change but thinking this so far...

Short box of "keys and semi keys" starting at $10 and up

One dollar long box

Spider-Man long box

Batman long box

Superman long box

X-Men long box

Military comics long box (there is a strong military collector community here)

Horror comic long box (close to Halloween)

Two long boxes of completed mini and maxi series, story arcs and collected editions, variety of stuff and price points.

Wall Books:

I have space behind me and a "make due" set up for some "wall books". I am going to try to use a mix of "kewl" affordable books for copper and modern age rows (it is not a very big display area, only room for 16 books).

No, my show was hundreds of kilometres southeast of your show. To elaborate on my earlier post, the two guys at my show who wanted the higher-priced stuff spent more money than everyone else combined. One big spender can turn an okay day into a great day.

Your military comics box sounds like a great idea for your region. I think that box might be lighter than your dollar box at the close of the show.

Nothing much "new" to report...

Just working still on rebagging and boarding (worst job ever) some old inventory I never got around to doing and pricing, pricing, pricing. However, like I said, this in itself is an exercise long overdue.

I have DEFINITELY gained an even GREATER appreciation of those who do this type of thing on a regular basis on much grander scale.

Nothing much "new" to report...

Just working still on rebagging and boarding (worst job ever) some old inventory I never got around to doing and pricing, pricing, pricing. However, like I said, this in itself is an exercise long overdue.

I have DEFINITELY gained an even GREATER appreciation of those who do this type of thing on a regular basis on much grander scale.

How are you determining the prices on your books? Are you "overpricing" to allow for haggling?

I struggled with pricing my books for my show and would love to hear how you do it.

I admit, I was/am struggling with that.

I am pricing using a combination of Guide and eBay sales...In terms of price assigned, on the "better" books, I am giving a slight bump for haggling and on the ones I don't "care" about so much, pricing at or below guide to hopefully spur sales.

For my CGC books, well, I am using combo of GPA and other sources and I am factoring in the exchange rate (but only for graded).

...And still "nervous" about if any collectors will actually show up lol

Don't stress too much. Selling at a show is a lot of work but it's also a lot of fun. Your mantra should be 'I'm gonna have fun - no matter what".

And don't worry about sales. You'll get plenty of eyeballs because you're new and stuff will sell.

If it's a smaller show I'd suggest you build and take as many $1 boxes as possible. Put them on the floor under your table where people can see them. Small sales add up.

Don't stress too much. Selling at a show is a lot of work but it's also a lot of fun. Your mantra should be 'I'm gonna have fun - no matter what".

And don't worry about sales. You'll get plenty of eyeballs because you're new and stuff will sell.

If it's a smaller show I'd suggest you build and take as many $1 boxes as possible. Put them on the floor under your table where people can see them. Small sales add up.

Thanks, appreciate that. (thumbs u

This is the first time as far as I am aware of, that this show will have any comics but it is a pretty "new" show the organizers are trying to get off the ground.

Unfortunately, as I concentrate primarily on ebay sales, I have kind of ignored my "dollar stock", not wanting to "deal" with it so I didn't have the time to have lots of dollar boxes, but something I will be focussing on having more of next time. As a result, I am trying to bring stuff that will appeal to even non-collectors, popular stuff.

Here is where I landed...Everything may not fit on the tables but I can rotate stuff.

Table 1:

Star Wars comics and graphic novels and a few misc. related items

Assortment of graphic novels and trades

DC Special Editions and Marvel Treasury Editions (variety) - Help table "pop" visually

CGC binder with books available for sale (CGC box behind table)

Assorted Keys and Semi Key short box ($10 and up)

Table 2:

Batman and related titles (2 boxes)

Spider-Man (1 box)

Superman (1 box)

X-Men and related titles (2 boxes)

Assorted Completed Mini and Maxi-Series, Story Arc collections (2 boxes)

Dollar box (1 box)

Horror - Mostly DC titles (1 box) - Close to Halloween, figured why not

War (1 box) - Lot of war collectors, hoping to unload a few

Wall Books

I can fit 16 books - Will be an assortment from silver to modern books. I have several books pulled out and will rotate as someone suggested earlier as the day goes on, going for mix of "hot" and "kewl" and affordable keys.

I have two tables and I could easily fill more but again, just not enough time to get all I need done or be able to bring as much as I would want but I will have contact sheets as well where people can tell me what they are looking for so I can get back to them.

Advertising

I have made up some nice signs I think for my table and I am also seeing this as an opportunity to further get my name out there. I have decent contacts in my city and I have made quite a few purchases, two just last weekend. I have also printed up some nice flyers that I will have available and will be including with every purchase that has my contact info, ebay and Facebook page.

...Back to pricing...

Final push...Pricing out last couple of boxes and just have to finalize some "wall books"...Still going to be a bit of a late night but the end is nigh.

Last couple of boxes and wall books?

That sounds like half a day's worth of prep work, right there.

Bag it, get some sleep. :baiting:

Whatever you haven't gotten done before the night of the show, it is way to late to get to.

9 out of the 10 shows that I do, I am up almost all night,doing stupid last minute mess and end up getting barely any sleep.

If you push onward, you'll be too fried to be all that productive and you will be assed out at your show....which will invariably end up to you being a subpar salesman.

If anyone comes up to your table with books, you'll probably pay more than you have to and/or give up more in trade than you have to.

Edit:

Just read that this is the first time the promoters will have comics at a show.

Not a good sign.

I'd strongly suggest you call it a night now; drink some beers and go to sleep.

Final push...Pricing out last couple of boxes and just have to finalize some "wall books"...Still going to be a bit of a late night but the end is nigh.

Last couple of boxes and wall books?

That sounds like half a day's worth of prep work, right there.

Bag it, get some sleep. :baiting:

Whatever you haven't gotten done before the night of the show, it is way to late to get to.

9 out of the 10 shows that I do, I am up almost all night,doing stupid last minute mess and end up getting barely any sleep.

If you push onward, you'll be too fried to be all that productive and you will be assed out at your show....which will invariably end up to you being a subpar salesman.

If anyone comes up to your table with books, you'll probably pay more than you have to and/or give up more in trade than you have to.

Edit:

Just read that this is the first time the promoters will have comics at a show.

Not a good sign.

I'd strongly suggest you call it a night now; drink some beers and go to sleep.

Yeah, I realized this about 45 minutes ago and I didn't want to be a zombie for the show so I pulled the plug. What I have is what I have. I will be "short" bringing one long box but I am ok with that. I will post a report and pics later in the week.

I'm not concerned so much about the sales or potential lack thereof as at the very least, I got some inventory priced and will be a low key run at a show and will be a good opportunity to get my name out there.

Mind you, a FEW sales would be nice lol

Thanks to everyone for the advice and support, most appreciated!!!

Well, back from the show and I am tired but I enjoyed myself.

Overall, I learned some things, had a pleasant experience and made some money and got my name out there. I can't retire, but enough to make it worthwhile, at least to me. Will post more fulsome update later today or tomorrow.

:)

Oh yeah, the local online paper took my and the other comic guy's photo and names and BRIEF little interview, so potential bit more exposure.