• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Miller Mini Comic Cover

91 posts in this topic

I don't hate it, but it is a little off...

I'm sure people said the same thing about Samuel Beckett, too... :baiting:

But seriously: "off" doesn't always equate to "bad". Jack Kirby became much more abstract, distorted, and expressionistic as he aged, too.

I think Frank hit his "mature" style in the mid/late '80s/early '90s. He's winding down now, as the great ones always do (cf. Eisner, Kirby, Ditko, et al.). But the product of a great imagination at any stage is still worth examining, even if we don't always like it or understand it...

But seriously: "off" doesn't always equate to "bad". Jack Kirby became much more abstract, distorted, and expressionistic as he aged, too.

I think Frank hit his "mature" style in the mid/late '80s/early '90s. He's winding down now, as the great ones always do (cf. Eisner, Kirby, Ditko, et al.). But the product of a great imagination at any stage is still worth examining, even if we don't always like it or understand it...

Oh I agree, but he's one of my heroes so I'm jaded. :)

My first impulse is to want to see more actually. I'm curious where he's going with this.

How is this any different than the style from DKR? The triumphant cover was this exact style - a bunch of scribbles.

I've never been a fan of his art style, though I have respect for a bunch of what he's accomplished - most of all the writing.

This is about exactly what I would have expected.

Well said :applause:

You are all wrong this is a great cover. Miller can do no wrong never has. You maybe just don't see his vision. Why doesn't everybody that bashes it do this. Go draw a cover here Frank miller style and make it look better than his. Don't say his sucks don't say you can do better. Actually draw a better one and present it here for all to view. When atleast 3 people agree that yours is better than his then you can say he sucks

I work in a kitchen and I can cook really well. If I make the most amazing dish and finish it with a piece of mess on top are costumers not allowed to complain because they can't make mess taste the same way?

My first impulse is to want to see more actually. I'm curious where he's going with this.

How do you feel about the dong he drew on the Atom?

I'll hang up and wait for my answer while you zoom in on that section.

Anyone who had the misfortune to read "Holy Terror" knows that the bell began tolling quite a while ago.

Yes, but the artwork in Holy Terror wasn't anywhere close to this level. Let's just hope he can still write a good story, otherwise DK3 may not make it past book 1 in terms of book sales. DC has a lot of money banking on the series, HCs and so on.

81Tj4%2BBYVHL.jpg

The interior artwork on Holy Terror was an embarrassment. It was lazy and poorly executed.

It's the ink and paper version of "The Spirit" movie. It causes physical distress.

I actually gave my copy of Holy Terror away for free , right here on the boards...I think I even offered to pay shipping to get it out of my house.

I guess it's not atom size!

cVMvTPm.jpg

That's the atom symbol...not a spinning dong. lol

The face and pose shouldn't be part of the judgement really - appears Supes has just been blasted in the face by the Atom being used as a projectile - that accounts for a bunch of the face distortion (slow motion moment after he's been struck).

That's not the problem...

What's the phrase - "every line added to the face adds 2 years" ? - what about the body as a whole?

The face and pose shouldn't be part of the judgement really - appears Supes has just been blasted in the face by the Atom being used as a projectile - that accounts for a bunch of the face distortion (slow motion moment after he's been struck).

Weird. It looks to me like Supes swung at the Atom with his left, which would explain why the left arm is bigger (as it's closer to the viewer), but the twist of the body doesn't match that action.

For those trashing Miller: while Janson did a lot of heavy lifting on the early work, Frank's sense of panel composition and page layout was always stellar. Even Holy Terror has some very nice composition amidst all that other garbage.

It's really sad that Frank Millers' artwork has deteriorated. He is not the same as when he was at his prime years ago. Yet we expect our idols to remain the same. We've come to expect too much from a great artist/storyteller over the years.

It's not unlike our favorite athletes who performed at a much higher level when they were in their prime. For some who stayed well after their physical skills started to deteriorate, it became painful to watch.

Anyone who had the misfortune to read "Holy Terror" knows that the bell began tolling quite a while ago.

Yes, but the artwork in Holy Terror wasn't anywhere close to this level. Let's just hope he can still write a good story, otherwise DK3 may not make it past book 1 in terms of book sales. DC has a lot of money banking on the series, HCs and so on.

81Tj4%2BBYVHL.jpg

The interior artwork on Holy Terror was an embarrassment. It was lazy and poorly executed.

It's the ink and paper version of "The Spirit" movie. It causes physical distress.

I actually gave my copy of Holy Terror away for free , right here on the boards...I think I even offered to pay shipping to get it out of my house.

I have enjoyed every phase of Miller's career, and really liked Holy Terror. Especially the architecture.

81Tj4%2BBYVHL.jpg

I have enjoyed every phase of Miller's career, and really liked Holy Terror. Especially the architecture.

s56tc.jpg