• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Knight 3 - Big Reveal (Covers, Story and Deluxe Edition)!

344 posts in this topic

What is everyone prediction for this book? All hype and not much substance? I was in my LCS the other day and the owner heard nothing, but negative things about it and felt it was being overblown and will be a bust. I'm not sure if it can match the popularity and story of the original DKR, but I hope it does just as well.
Where did he hear it was negative? Does he know people directly involved on the book or is he just guessing?

He said it was based upon rumors he read on the Internet and for all I know people in the know. He seemed very confident in his opinion. I know a lot of people weren't enthused by Millers mini cover, but besides the variant covers and some revealed images we don't know too much about this series. Kuberts and Jansons artwork looks good, but who says the story matches it.

Financially, it'll be a huge success for DC.

If store's order within their budget, it'll be a huge success for them.

The art should be fine.

The story...who knows... been awhile since Frank gave us a great story....DK2 wasn't exactly memorable.

Secondary market... uh, no. Maybe for a variant or two, in a hot minute. But there will be plenty of this book left over.

The aftermath of it all will be, meh.

Lather, rinse, and repeat.

Isn't this every big event from the big two?

From your comments I gather it won't gather the same status Hush has maintained in the DC world.

What is everyone prediction for this book? All hype and not much substance? I was in my LCS the other day and the owner heard nothing, but negative things about it and felt it was being overblown and will be a bust. I'm not sure if it can match the popularity and story of the original DKR, but I hope it does just as well.
Where did he hear it was negative? Does he know people directly involved on the book or is he just guessing?

He said it was based upon rumors he read on the Internet and for all I know people in the know. He seemed very confident in his opinion. I know a lot of people weren't enthused by Millers mini cover, but besides the variant covers and some revealed images we don't know too much about this series. Kuberts and Jansons artwork looks good, but who says the story matches it.

Financially, it'll be a huge success for DC.

If store's order within their budget, it'll be a huge success for them.

The art should be fine.

The story...who knows... been awhile since Frank gave us a great story....DK2 wasn't exactly memorable.

Secondary market... uh, no. Maybe for a variant or two, in a hot minute. But there will be plenty of this book left over.

The aftermath of it all will be, meh.

Lather, rinse, and repeat.

Isn't this every big event from the big two?

From your comments I gather it won't gather the same status Hush has maintained in the DC world.

It COULD. Know one knows until it's been released. For all we know, it could be the greatest ending to a story ever written.

Still might not help it in the secondary market, because orders for it will be through the roof.

I find it interesting how negative everyone is about DK2. I'd never read it until this last weekend when I picked it up in trade form. Now, I didn't care much for the art on DKR, and knowing that meant I had pretty low expectations for DK2 - but, I thought the story was actually very interesting. It seemed like a very engaging hyperbole/satirization of modern culture and what impacts that had on individual thought/freedom and how that really challenged Superman's hero methodology.

Outside the art, (which again, I agree was not my favorite) why was that book so generally and universally panned? Was it just not as good as DKR and therefore junk? I feel like there are WAY more boring and terribly written comic runs across the last 20 years so it seems odd to me this one gets such a concrete conclusion as being bad.

I unexpectedly enjoyed it.

I find it interesting how negative everyone is about DK2. I'd never read it until this last weekend when I picked it up in trade form. Now, I didn't care much for the art on DKR, and knowing that meant I had pretty low expectations for DK2 - but, I thought the story was actually very interesting. It seemed like a very engaging hyperbole/satirization of modern culture and what impacts that had on individual thought/freedom and how that really challenged Superman's hero methodology.

Outside the art, (which again, I agree was not my favorite) why was that book so generally and universally panned? Was it just not as good as DKR and therefore junk? I feel like there are WAY more boring and terribly written comic runs across the last 20 years so it seems odd to me this one gets such a concrete conclusion as being bad.

Personally (my own opinion) I think Miller goes in the same category as Superman. Generally not liked due to pop-ideology. DC Comics may be looking to Miller to save their financial butts right now, singing his praises on high, but on any given day would rather burn him at the stake on general principles.

And all that means is whenever Frank Miller produces 'mediocre' the slam-volume goes through the roof. Why pass up the opportunity to put down someone out of favor?

I liked DKR, never read DK2. I felt with DKR it brought out the true Batman, who is not a true superhero, but really a vigilantly. I also liked the cartoon the DKR movie that was released not to long ago. I did find it interesting his commentary and representation of religion in the comic.

For a lot of people, the art is a big deal when it comes to Miller's work. Especially since his art in Sin City had been seen in a pretty favorable way. Consensus quickly became 'he phoned this one in for the money.' True or not, that's how many perceived it.

In most comics, if you say the story was ok, which is how most people felt about the story, but the art was subpar for someone who at the time was considered to be a legend in the industry, and then top that off with a whopping $7.95 price tag (Comics were about $2.25 at the time) and then have an 8 month delay between the second issue and the finale....well.. people are going to remember it in a less than favorable light.

Remember, when you buy it now as a trade paperback, it's priced about the same as all the other trade paperbacks. At the time you were paying 4TIMES what a regular comic cost. If you had to pay $70-$80 to read that trade paperback, would you still think it was worth it?

Especially when it's hyped the way that it was (and this one is)...

People were expecting a Godfather 2 type of sequel to a classic, legendary series.... instead they got more of a Jaws 2.

Let's hope this next one isn't a Jaws 3.

For a lot of people, the art is a big deal when it comes to Miller's work. Especially since his art in Sin City had been seen in a pretty favorable way. Consensus quickly became 'he phoned this one in for the money.' True or not, that's how many perceived it.

In most comics, if you say the story was ok, which is how most people felt about the story, but the art was subpar for someone who at the time was considered to be a legend in the industry, and then top that off with a whopping $7.95 price tag (Comics were about $2.25 at the time) and then have an 8 month delay between the second issue and the finale....well.. people are going to remember it in a less than favorable light.

Remember, when you buy it now as a trade paperback, it's priced about the same as all the other trade paperbacks. At the time you were paying 4TIMES what a regular comic cost. If you had to pay $70-$80 to read that trade paperback, would you still think it was worth it?

Especially when it's hyped the way that it was (and this one is)...

People were expecting a Godfather 2 type of sequel to a classic, legendary series.... instead they got more of a Jaws 2.

Let's hope this next one isn't a Jaws 3.

Interesting. So really, it was just that people (perhaps partially by believing DC's own hype) had created their own massive expectations for it.

Seems like a lot of negativity over $5 and a pretty good story. It really is incredible how much expectations can shape stuff like that.

Thanks for sharing.