• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DARK KNIGHT III VARIANT COVERS ... worth the $$?
1 1

263 posts in this topic

I think the Dave Johnson is one of the best but can't find a picture of the original art (I do believe he still works mostly traditionally).

CRY9Zx0VEAA3ejc-48125.jpg

He will do some components traditionally and then assemble, compose and color the piece on the computer.

Not sure if this one is all one piece of OA, but I doubt it.

Looked through a bunch more of these covers today, and I gotta admit I am really digging this one by Stelfreeze. I'm not entirely surprised.

tumblr_nw13nev8KE1s2lswpo1_1280.jpg

I wonder if it's been sold. Does he sell his art and, if so, where?

Spoke to Brian at SDCC a year or two ago (it's a blur) and he said his published work is primarily digital though certain elements of a piece may be done traditionally.

It was a sad day for me.

Looked through a bunch more of these covers today, and I gotta admit I am really digging this one by Stelfreeze. I'm not entirely surprised.

tumblr_nw13nev8KE1s2lswpo1_1280.jpg

I wonder if it's been sold. Does he sell his art and, if so, where?

Spoke to Brian at SDCC a year or two ago (it's a blur) and he said his published work is primarily digital though certain elements of a piece may be done traditionally.

It was a sad day for me.

I think it depends. His Day Men book for BOOM was digital, but he does still do paintings, and may also do his upcoming book - the Black Panther, in traditional inks.

Matt Wagner:

joker-inks-3ada1.jpgjoker-final-6d587.jpg

Has Bruce's fortune dwindled in the future? He's really having to cut back on the amount of material used for his bat-a-rangs. Or maybe Joker just had an unfortunate accident while the two of them were playing a game of paper football. (shrug)

I think the Dave Johnson is one of the best but can't find a picture of the original art (I do believe he still works mostly traditionally).

CRY9Zx0VEAA3ejc-48125.jpg

He will do some components traditionally and then assemble, compose and color the piece on the computer.

Not sure if this one is all one piece of OA, but I doubt it.

I'm guessing the Batman is probably a physical drawing, but the rest was added digitally.

This must be a list of the covers that have already been assigned, because it's otherwise just a fraction of the covers that have been revealed online. Saw the Walter Simonson one a couple of weeks ago...that's one of the better ones, imo, so far.

This must be a list of the covers that have already been assigned, because it's otherwise just a fraction of the covers that have been revealed online. Saw the Walter Simonson one a couple of weeks ago...that's one of the better ones, imo, so far.

The Simonson is one of the more raw looking pieces. That's why it works.

The Jock cover is my favorite to this point. It's really raw as well.

Well.. If they do variants for all issues at the same rate (not just #1) then there will be more covers than interiors :P

I assume the only reason they do as many variants as they do is to maximize profit, which may show a lack of trust in the book itself to do well.

Well.. If they do variants for all issues at the same rate (not just #1) then there will be more covers than interiors :P

I assume the only reason they do as many variants as they do is to maximize profit, which may show a lack of trust in the book itself to do well.

Actually I think it's because a lot of the people at DC today felt DKR was a defining book for them and the chance to work with Frank on a similar project is a career highlight. I've heard at least 3 different artists mention they really wanted to get to be a part of the project and doing a cover is amazing.

If it was all about money, they'd be releasing all the variants to all the shops the same way they did with the JLA state flags cover.

Edited by Thawk

Actually I think it's because a lot of the people at DC today felt DKR was a defining book for them and the chance to work with Frank on a similar project is a career highlight. I've heard at least 3 different artists mention they really wanted to get to be a part of the project and doing a cover is amazing.

If it was all about money, they'd be releasing all the variants to all the shops the same way they did with the JLA state flags cover.

If DC wanted to include so many artists I think looking at VERTIGO's model would have been a better choice. VERTIGO released several "gallery" books, like the Dream gallery and Death gallery books that allowed dozens of artists to do their take on the characters.

With the reveal of each new variant cover this project gets more and more laughable :roflmao:

But realistically, by creating a cover based on his concept isn't working Frank. If Frank dictated the image they created, e.g. Layouts that would be working with Frank.