• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DARK KNIGHT III VARIANT COVERS ... worth the $$?
1 1

263 posts in this topic

Well.. If they do variants for all issues at the same rate (not just #1) then there will be more covers than interiors :P

I assume the only reason they do as many variants as they do is to maximize profit, which may show a lack of trust in the book itself to do well.

Actually I think it's because a lot of the people at DC today felt DKR was a defining book for them and the chance to work with Frank on a similar project is a career highlight. I've heard at least 3 different artists mention they really wanted to get to be a part of the project and doing a cover is amazing.

If it was all about money, they'd be releasing all the variants to all the shops the same way they did with the JLA state flags cover.

But realistically, by creating a cover based on his concept isn't working Frank. If Frank dictated the image they created, e.g. Layouts that would be working with Frank.

Sure, but it's still getting to contribute something to that world/universe in a legitimate fashion, even if it's a VERY small contribution. They get to be a part of something that meant a lot to them and that's exciting even if it's on the periphery.

I'd say this pretty much sums it up for me. People sometimes forget that professionals are just big fans who get to do comics for a living. When DK1 came out, I'd only been working professionally for a year or two and Miller's vision made a HUGE impact on my and all my peers. If you'd told me almost 30 years later that I would be able to contribute in some very small way to the DK legacy by providing a cover, I would not have believed you. Every single A list artist wanted to contribute to this project in some way when it was first conceived, and this was a way to allow a lot of guys fulfill a dream. I don't know how successful DK3 will be artistically in words and pictures, or how much money DC will or won't make, but speaking for myself, this is a bucket list moment. It's ok for people to be cynical. I get it. Nothing is going to wipe the smile from my face when I get that first issue of DK3 with my cover in my hands--geeky bliss at it's finest.

Scott

Thanks for sharing Mr Williams :) Your cover is beautiful (one of the two I ordered). That kind of passion is the thing that can still make comics great and it truly does come through!

Mr. Williams is his father. :gossip:

Frank Miller Variant Cover Issue 2:

DKTMR02_Millercolor_5632942d495861.98717515.jpg

That is really interesting. The splashes off the top of the cowl and cape add a lot of realism to what is almost an impressionistic piece.

Almost looks like "Rasta-Man"

The entire print run will be unique variant covers. Every single copy will be different.

I hope Ivan Drago is the villain in DK IV. And that Miller redeems himself for "Holy Terror" by having Batman give a rousing speech at the end regarding how, if he can change, and you can change, everybody can change.

I hope Ivan Drago is the villain in DK IV. And that Miller redeems himself for "Holy Terror" by having Batman give a rousing speech at the end regarding how, if he can change, and you can change, everybody can change.

I'd buy at least 37 variant covers if that's included.

The entire print run will be unique variant covers. Every single copy will be different.

maybe they can have variant pages with variant endings too? :whee::banana::whee:

Will the value of the covers drop, since it has been revealed that Miller had very little to do with the series? Sounds like DC may also have a backlash from fans over this. It is to be determined how sales will fare and if issue 1 may be destined for the dollar bin.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/21/so-who-wrote-dark-knight-iii-anyway/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Will the value of the covers drop, since it has been revealed that Miller had very little to do with the series? Sounds like DC may also have a backlash from fans over this. It is to be determined how sales will fare and if issue 1 may be destined for the dollar bin.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/11/21/so-who-wrote-dark-knight-iii-anyway/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

The value probably dropped after the 50th variant cover was announced.

Marc Silvestri's DKIII cover available for purchase. Just $15,000...

http://marcsilvestriart.com/store/?product=dark-knight-iii-the-master-race-1-cover

Price dropped to $12K

Or was it purchased for 12 and being resold for 15?

Marc is running his Christmas/Holiday sale. This is the second time that he has run one.

IMO, calling the cover lazy is silly. It's a fun concept and a totally transparent homage. It's not like Jock was hoping people wouldn't notice it's a swipe of the DKR2 cover lol