• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DARK KNIGHT III VARIANT COVERS ... worth the $$?
1 1

263 posts in this topic

I posted the DK3 cover I inked over Jim Lee last week, and this week I have my own cover to share! Pretty jacked about being one of the artists invited to add to the Dark Knight legacy since Frank Miller's original Dark Knight returns made such a HUGE impact on me almost 30 years ago. Inking/collaborating with other artists has always been the main component of my comic career, but every once in a while it's so rewarding to pick up a pencil and call something all my own. Honestly, I'd do more if I was faster, but I'll take opportunities like this every time, especially on such a classic character from such a memorable storyline.

Thanks for looking!

Scott

G1QgYU1g_1210151143301.jpeg

Jim who? ;)

Overall the artwork aside from being part of "DK3" looks nice, but I'd be a little wary of the DK3 title and legacy of the original DK series adding any premium to the value of the artwork outside of what the artwork value is on it's own stand alone merits. Remember all of the "Before Watchmen" hype and the artwork pricing only to result in a lackluster published release.

I do think the Scott Williams rendering is among the best I've seen so far where a few of the other artists seemed to have fallen asleep at the wheel a bit or tried to make it with too much consideration of Frank Miller met with failure in execution. The detailing and energy of the Williams piece makes me want to read the book, which is what a cover is supposed to inspire.

I posted the DK3 cover I inked over Jim Lee last week, and this week I have my own cover to share! Pretty jacked about being one of the artists invited to add to the Dark Knight legacy since Frank Miller's original Dark Knight returns made such a HUGE impact on me almost 30 years ago. Inking/collaborating with other artists has always been the main component of my comic career, but every once in a while it's so rewarding to pick up a pencil and call something all my own. Honestly, I'd do more if I was faster, but I'll take opportunities like this every time, especially on such a classic character from such a memorable storyline.

Thanks for looking!

Scott

G1QgYU1g_1210151143301.jpeg

Fantastic job, Scott! This is just gorgeous ...

I had a chance to talk to a couple artists at NYCC at the SYFY interview studio about their Dark Knight III art -- Andy Kubert, Klaus Janson, Jim Lee & Darwyn Cooke -- and all indicated they weren't going to be selling their DK variants art. Was really bummed to hear about Cooke holding on to his, because he seems to be keeping most of his recent cover art. Certainly within his right, of course ... but it stinks for this Darwyn fan who's been trying for a long time to add one of his superhero covers to his collection :)

Klaus is entertaining offers for his variant cover, but have not heard anything about his 1:10 cover. Kubert sold his OA for NYCC program book. DC retains rights to it and may use it for something else. I created my own variant using it. I have spoken to most of the artists and if they are willing to part with them and for how much.

Edited by Captain Canuck

Mr Williams it's beautiful. I've tried reaching out to the UK shop which will have the issue - no luck so far. Crossing my fingers I can get a copy!

Thanks for the kind words about my cover everyone! There were some really killer DK3 covers done by some of the absolute best artists in the biz today and I was just trying not to get laughed off the stage. Very humbling.

As for the UK shop featuring my particular cover, give them some time--they were at the NYCC and are traveling home today. You might want to follow up with them after they get a chance to catch their breath.

Scott

Mr Williams it's beautiful. I've tried reaching out to the UK shop which will have the issue - no luck so far. Crossing my fingers I can get a copy!

Thanks for the kind words about my cover everyone! There were some really killer DK3 covers done by some of the absolute best artists in the biz today and I was just trying not to get laughed off the stage. Very humbling.

As for the UK shop featuring my particular cover, give them some time--they were at the NYCC and are traveling home today. You might want to follow up with them after they get a chance to catch their breath.

Scott

Great to know thanks!

As much as I like her cover. I can't justify paying that much for a modern cover on a book that will either be a boom or bust. If the book becomes a classic than it may be a worthwhile investment, but if it bombs that cover will only be worth a couple thousand in a year or two. Who ever buys it may get burned on it. There are only a couple of covers that will maintain their price regardless of how the book does. Kuberts NYCC program book because it is a classic and simple cover, the stock cover, Millers and Lee's.

Link to the Bill S cover.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/10/bill-sienkiewiczs-cover-to-the-dark-knight-iii-the-master-race/

I'm not a huge Finch fan but that cover is really good as well.

I actually have an opportunity to get either or both, but even though Finch is the teacher and Fabok is his protege, he is really making a name for himself. Is it worth the investment? Both are appealing images, so that eliminates that question.

Link to the Bill S cover.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/10/bill-sienkiewiczs-cover-to-the-dark-knight-iii-the-master-race/

I'm not a huge Finch fan but that cover is really good as well.

I actually have an opportunity to get either or both, but even though Finch is the teacher and Fabok is his protege, he is really making a name for himself. Is it worth the investment? Both are appealing images, so that eliminates that question.

I would chose Finch, but Maybe this link will help.